SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2
Default Questions about Partial Rebuild

I am currently trying to get my second Satty running. Actually, the engine runs fine, but the tranny is out right now, and I'd rather do work now. Has 234,000 miles, and I don't have a service history on it.

It's a '93 SW2, and I want to switch it to a 3rd-gen crank, but I'm having second thoughts.

First, is it worth it to switch? This car WILL eventually be raced, and probably even turbo'd in the future (don't give me all the 'It's not worth it' stuff. Been wanting to do this for a couple years simply because I can), but does it need the more-balanced crank? If I switch, I'll be getting the tie plate and oil pan also.

Second, I am planning on re-ringing the pistons. What would be the signs that an overbore is required? Also, what brand of rings are recommended? Rockauto.com only lists Sealed Power and DNJ.

Oil Pump Repair Kit - DNJ or Sealed Power?

Things I WILL be doing:

Valve Cover Gasket
Front Crankshaft Seal
Rear " "
Both Output Shaft Seals
Head Gasket
Timing Set
Spark Plugs and Wires
Paint Engine Block and Transmission housing white to match body paint using Engine Paint

If I switch cranks, I'd replace Main Bearings as well. What size would I need?

Should I pull the crank and replace bearings and get a regrind regardless?

How do I tell if a hone is required?

I was planning to drill the oil control rings per OldNuc here. But we will be running Amsoil Signature Series. My DD runs on the same stuff and has for over 10,000 miles and doesn't burn a bit. Is drilling necessary?

Sorry for all the rookie questions, but I bought this second car to learn on, hence the questions.

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: Questions about Partial Rebuild

There are several detailed build threads here, so i will not try to duplicate them.

More general answers to a couple of your questions..

I have built several engines, just not a saturn, yet (full disclaimer)...

Even most experienced engine builders will rely on their machine shop to spec out their block cylenders, crank and rods to see if they are within spec or need to be bored(block), reground(crank), resized(rods).

It seems that most saturn 1.9 motor rebuilds here can get away withought being bored oversize. They have a pretty hard steel cyl sleeve. A fresh hone on the cyl walls is probably all you will need, but its better to check.

If your crank is out of spec, you will either need to regrind it, or just replace it. If you regrind, then you get undersized bearings to compensate for the smaller journals. If its within spec, just replace the bearings with standard size.

Rods can go out-of-round or can get off-square. I know the 3rd gen rods cannot be resized due to the way they are machined. Not sure about earlier rods. Get yours checked. I think they are usually re-usable, for the most part.

Bottom line... I kind of don't like the idea of a "partial" rebuild. If you have the motor this far apart.... you are doing a full rebuild. You can re-use many parts if they are within spec, but you are still doing a full rebuild.

There is a lot of labor involved in a rebuild. Cutting corners is a big gamble. You might get away with something (like re-useing an old oil pump), but is saving $40 worth reducing the life of your new motor by 20% ??

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Really, the only thing I might not do is switching to a 3rd-gen crank. Everything else is mainly asking how I would know if it is needed or what brand to buy.

I've never done anything like this before, which is why I'm asking so many questions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #4
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Also, I might as well replace the head bolts, right? I see it is recommended, and they only add about $20 to the price of all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Bottom line... I kind of don't like the idea of a "partial" rebuild. If you have the motor this far apart.... you are doing a full rebuild.
Noted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #5
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Not really up to date on whether the 3rd gen crank is actually better or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydriver View Post
Second, I am planning on re-ringing the pistons. What would be the signs that an overbore is required? Also, what brand of rings are recommended? Rockauto.com only lists Sealed Power and DNJ.
Overbore is up to the machine shop, and you won't be able to tell yourself. Out-of-round and taper have a .002" service limit and you can't accurately measure that or the other specs without very high dollar tools. Let the shop also order rings/pistons/etc. Hastings are the good (probably OEM) cheap rings, Perfect Circle are the more expensive high end rings. For racing set the gaps to the max. If you are dead set on one or the other then make that abundantly clear to the shop, otherwise let them pick for you.

Oil Pump Repair Kit - DNJ or Sealed Power?
Sealed Power. DNJ is, and I paraphrase OldNuc, no-name asian junk.

Things I WILL be doing:

Valve Cover Gasket
Front Crankshaft Seal
Rear " "
Both Output Shaft Seals
Head Gasket - FelPro
Timing Set - Cloyes
Spark Plugs and Wires
Paint Engine Block and Transmission housing white to match body paint using Engine Paint

Probably standard. Have the shop inspect and polish (you can measure the crank reasonably well if you want to invest in a micrometer and learn how to use it accurately). Grinding (and subsequent oversize bearings) is only required if something is wrong with the new crank. Unless the crank is absolutely perfect you want to have it polished and then make sure it is still within specs for a standard size bearing. Mahle bearings are what I was recommended and am running.

I'd plastigauge one main and one rod and make a decision based on that. Safe main oil clearance is .0002" to .002" and tighter is good. Rods are .0004" to .0025". If the plastigauge comes out larger than .002" for mains or .0025" for rods then take it to the shop. Bearings are supposed to take the wear so a polish is likely all that will be needed for the crank.

By removing a piston from its bore. Meaning it is required if you so much as pull out a piston. There are people who will tell you stories of how they didn't need one, but there are also people who play Russian roulette and win.

I was planning to drill the oil control rings per OldNuc here. But we will be running Amsoil Signature Series. My DD runs on the same stuff and has for over 10,000 miles and doesn't burn a bit. Is drilling necessary?
I would. Amsoil SS is terrific, but there's no reason not to drill them either. The original fear was piston seizure from oil film failure, oils have improved and that doesn't happen and probably never would have so go for it.

Sorry for all the rookie questions, but I bought this second car to learn on, hence the questions.
Bring it on, rebuilds are fun!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Replace the head bolts. They are torque-to-yield and it is entirely possible for a re-used one to snap right off or not hold sufficient torque.

Budget $1,200 right now, and be happy if you go under it. Small things add up rapidly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #7
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydriver View Post
Also, I might as well replace the head bolts, right? I see it is recommended, and they only add about $20 to the price of all this.

Noted.
Replacing Head bolts is a requirement on these motors. They are "torque to yield" bolts that actually stretch and should not be re-used.

Sorry if I did not answer all of you questions 100% Keep at it. We all had a ton of questions the first time we started in on a project like this.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #8
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Not really up to date on whether the 3rd gen crank is actually better or not.
Quote:
Quote:

Overbore is up to the machine shop, and you won't be able to tell yourself. Out-of-round and taper have a .002" service limit and you can't accurately measure that or the other specs without very high dollar tools. Let the shop also order rings/pistons/etc. Hastings are the good (probably OEM) cheap rings, Perfect Circle are the more expensive high end rings. For racing set the gaps to the max. If you are dead set on one or the other then make that abundantly clear to the shop, otherwise let them pick for you.

Thanks.

Sealed Power. DNJ is, and I paraphrase OldNuc, no-name asian junk.

Thought so.

Head Gasket - FelPro
Timing Set - Cloyes

Was already planning on these due to what I found on the forums. Also, VCG will be FelPro

Probably standard. Have the shop inspect and polish (you can measure the crank reasonably well if you want to invest in a micrometer and learn how to use it accurately). Grinding (and subsequent oversize bearings) is only required if something is wrong with the new crank. Unless the crank is absolutely perfect you want to have it polished and then make sure it is still within specs for a standard size bearing. Mahle bearings are what I was recommended and am running.

Good to know

I'd plastigauge one main and one rod and make a decision based on that. Safe main oil clearance is .0002" to .002" and tighter is good. Rods are .0004" to .0025". If the plastigauge comes out larger than .002" for mains or .0025" for rods then take it to the shop. Bearings are supposed to take the wear so a polish is likely all that will be needed for the crank.

What is meant by rods? Wrist pin? I'm not sure what differentiates the rod measurement from the main's measurement. Sorry.

By removing a piston from its bore. Meaning it is required if you so much as pull out a piston. There are people who will tell you stories of how they didn't need one, but there are also people who play Russian roulette and win.

Oh. Got it.

I would. Amsoil SS is terrific, but there's no reason not to drill them either. The original fear was piston seizure from oil film failure, oils have improved and that doesn't happen and probably never would have so go for it.

Will do, now that we own a drill press.

Bring it on, rebuilds are fun!
That's what I want to hear.
Thanks so much for the help, guys. I really appreciate it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:52 AM   #9
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
Replace the head bolts. They are torque-to-yield and it is entirely possible for a re-used one to snap right off or not hold sufficient torque.
OK. Added.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:53 AM   #10
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Sorry if I did not answer all of you questions 100% Keep at it. We all had a ton of questions the first time we started in on a project like this.
Both of you have already helped enormously. I love having a procedure laid out, and I didn't have one, so I was really nervous. Now I have one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #11
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Main bearings (crank to block) are different from connecting rod bearings (piston to crank). They are both on the crank itself, just different clearances, etc.

Also on a '93:
Update oil pump cover to mid 97+
If manual replace flywheel, do not resurface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 AM   #12
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Oh, of course. I don't know why that didn't click. Thanks.

How exactly do I update the cover? Is that a timing chain cover replacement?

The clutch is in great condition. What is the reason for flywheel replacement?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #13
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

(I think mid 97+, but definitely 98+) had a hole in the cover that shoots oil directly onto the timing chain and greatly extends its life. If you opt to run a bypass system like I did, this can be skipped as it will oil the chain more than sufficiently.

96 and earlier clutches are slightly different than any available now and same with the flywheel. To make a 96 or earlier flywheel work correctly a 1/4" chamfer needs to be cut on the inner circumference at 45*. That will likely throw it out of balance and then you are in for a resurface, chamfer, and balance. A new one is only ~$50 and works right out of the box.

What's your plan of attack for the head?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:26 AM   #14
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
(I think mid 97+, but definitely 98+) had a hole in the cover that shoots oil directly onto the timing chain and greatly extends its life. If you opt to run a bypass system like I did, this can be skipped as it will oil the chain more than sufficiently.

How hard would this be?

96 and earlier clutches are slightly different than any available now and same with the flywheel. To make a 96 or earlier flywheel work correctly a 1/4" chamfer needs to be cut on the inner circumference at 45*. That will likely throw it out of balance and then you are in for a resurface, chamfer, and balance. A new one is only ~$50 and works right out of the box.

I'm not replacing the clutch at the moment, but that is good info. If I replace the flywheel now, do I have to replace the clutch too?

What's your plan of attack for the head?

Well, if the engine already runs fine, what should I be doing?
Thanks for your patience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:41 AM   #15
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

The pump cover or the bypass filter? Pump cover is easy to acquire via ebay or maybe ShawnV, but not real fun to dig out in a junkyard.

The bypass system is here - thread's a little longer than I was intending. If you are already running Amsoil it might be a pretty decent idea.

I'd leave the current flywheel in place until clutch replacement, just remember that it is not ideal to use a stock 93 flywheel with a new clutch.

Disassemble and clean all lifters at a minimum. A valve job and new seals would be nice but that will run you ~$250. Lifter cleaning is free. Make sure they go back in the same hole they came from. This can be considered optional if there are currently no problems and you are afraid to mess with them. Keeping track of all the little pieces in a DOHC head is a challenge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 AM   #16
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
The pump cover or the bypass filter? Pump cover is easy to acquire via ebay or maybe ShawnV, but not real fun to dig out in a junkyard.

The bypass system is here - thread's a little longer than I was intending. If you are already running Amsoil it might be a pretty decent idea.

We're going to do that.

I'd leave the current flywheel in place until clutch replacement, just remember that it is not ideal to use a stock 93 flywheel with a new clutch.

Noted.

Disassemble and clean all lifters at a minimum. A valve job and new seals would be nice but that will run you ~$250. Lifter cleaning is free. Make sure they go back in the same hole they came from. This can be considered optional if there are currently no problems and you are afraid to mess with them. Keeping track of all the little pieces in a DOHC head is a challenge.
Read once in a manual somewhere that old clean egg cartons work great. Yes/No?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 AM   #17
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

@anmasher That bypass filter system isn't nearly as expensive as I thought it'd be. Would it be safe to run a single oil line from that galley plug to the timing chain cover until I can setup the whole bypass filter? Or is it just easier to commit now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #18
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Get some of the cardboard egg cartons. The polystyrene type breaks easily and most solvents will melt it.

You can just leave it alone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #19
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Leave the head alone?

EDIT: It looks like I'll need a new clutch cylinder assembly. What brand is recommended?

Last edited by sallydriver; 01-28-2014 at 01:20 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #20
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

You can leave the oil pump cover and bypass filter alone. The chain lasts a very long time without either - they just help it last even longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!