SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
johnc2005vue
johnc2005vue is on a distinguished road

Question Programming Keyless Entry 2005 VUE?

My remote for my 2005 VUE has started to rendomly malfunction, and I wish to replace it and get a second for my wife, who has never had a fob for this car. I bought my VUE used in '08. Anyway, I've been trying to find DIY instructions and it seems everyone says we have to go to a GM dealer to get this done. On the web, only eHow has a DIY instruction, and I wondered what anyone thinks of this procedure. It involves taking a wire jumper and jumping the 8 and 4 terminal in the data port under the dash:

[I]How Do I Program a Saturn Key FOB?
By Matthew Fortuna, eHow Contributor

How Do I Program a Saturn Key FOB? thumbnail
Saturn vehicles are equipped with keyless entry capabilities.
Saturn is among the variety of vehicles manufactured around the world that features the popular keyless entry system technology. This capability allows owners the convenience and security of controlling their car starter, panic alarm, door locks and trunk from within their house or as far away as a couple hundred feet in the parking lot or on their street. Programming your Saturn remote, also known as a key FOB, can be done in just minutes and will have your system ready to use immediately.

Setting Up the Programming Sequence
Before you enter the programming sequence for your Saturn vehicle, make sure you have your ignition key, every keyless remote that you would like to program and a jumper wire. Start the pre-programming sequence by entering your car and closing all of the doors behind you. Insert your key into the ignition and leave the key in the "Off" position.

Locate the car's data port on beneath the dash board panel on the driver's side. Notice the eight data terminals on each side of the port and connect the jumper wire to the 8 and 4 terminals, which are eighth and fourth from the left side of the port on the top side. It is now time to start the programming sequence.

Starting the Programming Sequence
Once you connect the terminals with your jumper wire, the car will cycle the door locks to indicate the beginning of the programming sequence. At this time, press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons on your keyless remote. You may need to hold these buttons for as much as 30 seconds until the vehicle again responds by cycling the locks. Release the buttons once the locks cycle and that remote will be successfully programmed.

Programming Additional Remotes
Repeat the programming sequence--by holding the lock and unlock buttons--on your next remote. Do this within one minute and wait for the locks to cycle again to indicate successful programming. Repeat again with any additional remotes, up to four, and be sure to do it within a minute and wait for the locks after every remote. Once you have finished with every remote, remove the jumper wires from the data port, remove the key from the ignition and replace the dashboard panel on your Saturn.

Sound like it might work? Anyone ever see this before and try? I don't want to spend $$$ on 2 fobs and then have to spend even more at dealer to get a simple simple job done! Any feedback appreciated!
JC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnc2005vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnc2005vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnc2005vue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Programming Keyless Entry 2005 VUE?

JC - good to have you aboard.

I don't know of any alternative to using a scan tool to program new fobs. I've read of various lock-shops being able to program fobs so if you might make a few calls to avoid a trip to dealer.

A jumper between pins 4 and 8 of Vue OBD connector wouldn't work because there is no connection to pin 8 in the Vue connector.

I've attached two thumbnails - the first is for OBD connector - also referred to as Data Link Connector.

Find connector C-201 on left side of first thumbnail and note only contacts 16, 5, 1, 4, 7, 12, and 2 are populated.

You might also notice the diagram is for Vue with auto-trans but I've looked at all flavors for 2005 and none have a contact in pin 8.

The second thumbnail pertains to synchronizing a flaky fob with the Vue's BCM. I've never tried but the concept sounds plausible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen_2014-01-15 09.01.48.jpg (145.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg screen_2014-01-15 09.13.48.jpg (87.3 KB, 57 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unfortunately, e-How doesn't know everything compared to Saturnfans with members having ownership experience, service manuals or work for GM. Those instructions are for 2nd generation Saturns. Yours is a 3rd gen Saturn with Passlock theft protection. GM is the only dealer with their Tech II scantool to program remotes for Vues. Whether or not licensed locksmiths can program remotes can only be answered by calling them. Buying factory remotes are cheaper online before taking them in to GM for programming them to your Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

tech 2 only sorry

xTooltipElement
Service Information

2005 Saturn VUE - AWD | VUE VIN Z Service Manual | Accessories | Keyless Entry | Repair Instructions | Document ID: 682063
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remote Control Door Lock Transmitter Programming
Important: Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle. The order in which the transmitters are programmed is important. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. Use care to program the transmitters correctly.

 1. Install a scan tool.
 2. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
 3. Select Body Control Module.
 4. Select Special Functions.
 5. Select Program Key Fobs.
 6. If you are adding a transmitter to the system, or are replacing a transmitter, choose the Add/Replace Key Fobs option. This allows new transmitters to be added without deleting those currently programmed to the module.
If you are replacing all transmitters or none of the transmitters are working, choose the Clear memory and Program All Fobs option. This prevents lost or stolen transmitters from being used to access the vehicle.

 7. Follow the scan tool on-screen directions.
 8. After programming the last transmitter, remove the scan tool.
 9. Exit the vehicle. Attempt to lock/unlock the doors to verify the programming.
10. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
2014 General Motors. All rights reserved.

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
johnc2005vue
johnc2005vue is on a distinguished road

Thanks- I suspected I'd be going to a dealer if I want new fobs- and I knew the experts here would have the right answer!

far2grumpy- thanks for the welcome- I've actually been around Saturnalia for a while, but after not checking in for some time, I'd forgotten all my login info so badly that I needed to re-up! I've availed myself to countless tidbits of info and enthusiasm since owning my '94 SW2 (1994-2008) and now my '05 VUE 3.5l 6cyl.

Thanks for the detail on the incorrect instructions I found as well. I'll just have to think about spending the money at the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnc2005vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnc2005vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnc2005vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc2005vue View Post
Thanks- I suspected I'd be going to a dealer if I want new fobs- and I knew the experts here would have the right answer!

far2grumpy- thanks for the welcome- I've actually been around Saturnalia for a while, but after not checking in for some time, I'd forgotten all my login info so badly that I needed to re-up! I've availed myself to countless tidbits of info and enthusiasm since owning my '94 SW2 (1994-2008) and now my '05 VUE 3.5l 6cyl.

Thanks for the detail on the incorrect instructions I found as well. I'll just have to think about spending the money at the dealer.
I called a few shops around my area and one happend to have a tech2 available. They wanted $30 to program, about 10 minute proccess.
Dealer wanted $120 (minimum 1 hour charge)
You can also get aftermarket FOB for $20 on ebay, easy to setup, just connect 4 wires and you are done.
Two GM fob run aorund $40-50 on ebay, so aftermarket is half price just need to connect a few wires, which are reasonably easy on the VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #7
RDKoenig
RDKoenig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
JC - good to have you aboard.

I don't know of any alternative to using a scan tool to program new fobs. I've read of various lock-shops being able to program fobs so if you might make a few calls to avoid a trip to dealer.

A jumper between pins 4 and 8 of Vue OBD connector wouldn't work because there is no connection to pin 8 in the Vue connector.

I've attached two thumbnails - the first is for OBD connector - also referred to as Data Link Connector.

Find connector C-201 on left side of first thumbnail and note only contacts 16, 5, 1, 4, 7, 12, and 2 are populated.

You might also notice the diagram is for Vue with auto-trans but I've looked at all flavors for 2005 and none have a contact in pin 8.

The second thumbnail pertains to synchronizing a flaky fob with the Vue's BCM. I've never tried but the concept sounds plausible.

Has anyone been able to confirm if this method works? I have a 2006 and just can't afford to pay dealership prices to program a new FOB

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RDKoenig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RDKoenig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RDKoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
RDKoenig
RDKoenig is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Programming Keyless Entry 2005-2006 VUE?

I purchased my 2006 Saturn VUE new. I have all the paperwork including the information on the Security Keyless that was installed. The system in my Saturn is a KARR EX-1 Factory Alarm Upgrade. User's Manual: mikehmayer-DOT-com/stuff/xB/KARR%204040a.pdf

Here is the youtube on how to program the FOB Keyless remote:
youtu -DOT- be/Oi8zleQqnlE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RDKoenig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RDKoenig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RDKoenig is offline   Reply With Quote