SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
mongobuster
mongobuster is on a distinguished road

Happy Somebody help here :P

I have a 2001 Saturn sl2 fourdoor... I am wondering if it has any potential horsepower wise... I have had people tell me that cold air intakes and exhaust systems would help.. but couldent tell me how much of a difference it would make.. I just really wanna know If I can turn this thing into a car that is quick and nice looking.. Or If I should just move on to another vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mongobuster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mongobuster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mongobuster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: Somebody help here :P

S-series cars are well suited for econemy driving. There are certainly some that have squeezed a few extra horsepower from a Twin-cam motor, but its quite a bit of effort for a very modest return.

These care are not very well suited to extensive mods. Unlike the 4g63 mitsubishi eclipe/talon DSM platform, which is well suported by the aftermarket and responds well to boost and other power adders.

If you really want impressive performance, move on to something else.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

For $1,000 you can somewhat reliably break maybe 160hp.
All the little bolt-ons add up to a handful of HP, at best. Cams and tuning is the biggest hp/$ thing you can do. Figure that a cold air intake will do almost nothing. An OBX header (don't know if they even make them for the narrow head) might get you a few points.

Is this an automatic or manual? The automatics seem to hold up OK to all the power you can make NA, manuals will need an upgraded clutch and (ideally) an upgraded or reinforced differential - this applies equally to both transmissions though.

You might want to consider saving the Saturn as a reliable daily driver and getting something more suited to hopping up. Remember, SBCs can make exponentially more power than a Saturn 1.9 for the same cost. If boost is more your thing then DSMs came that way from the factory and take well to massive power.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
mongobuster

Thank you gentlemen

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mongobuster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
mongobuster

It is a twin cam... stock with 124 horsepower... automatic... its zippy.. and has a zero to 60 in like maybe 9 or 10 seconds.... you guys think that maybe modding it visually (systems, subs, Neon, etc) would be worth it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Zippy? LOL No, it is a Saturn.

I would strongly recommend against modding it like that. Putting in a reasonable sound system for your enjoyment is worthwhile IMO, but not solely for ghetto-blasting in an attempt to be cool.

If you really want to do something to it, consider a manual swap as that doesn't hurt anything and actually makes the car more fun. Cheap too depending on how you source parts. Look into the dual intake cam mod too. That costs next to nothing and adds a little power above 3k with no downsides.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
Montreal300
Montreal300 has a spectacular aura aboutMontreal300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

It is "zippy" compared to my SOHC. Jeez what a dog and it does 0-60 in about 4 days. It's my daily driver and averages 34 mpg. It's light and has ..........nothing! No options.

My "not daily driver" sleeps in the garage waiting for spring.

2002 SL1 (55,000 km @ 11/12/2016)
2006 Chrysler 300C (modified)
2012 Hyundai Santa Fe
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Montreal300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Montreal300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Montreal300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
For $1,000 you can somewhat reliably break maybe 160hp.
No offense.... but anyone investing $1,000 to and 30-40 HP to a saturn needs their head examined.

If you actually have the $1,000, put it in the bank! Get a real performance car that will not be a total waste of time/effort.

You actually get more "real" speed out of suspension/handling anyway. So if you absolutely MUST mod your saturn.... go to work on the suspension, chasis and brakes.

Just for refrence: I can add roughly 100hp to my cobra (easily) with way less then $1,000 in mods. I know this is WAY off topic, but if you want performance..... start with a car that at least in the ball park!

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Sounds pretty on-topic to me, and that was my point. You won't be making much power with a Saturn without spending tons of money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

Turbo.

Re: getting a car that can be modded. I went with a Saturn because a) I knew squat about car mechanics and b) it's an easier car to work on and c) there's a lot of excellent advice out there (here and loads of YouTube videos).

As I race my saturn I'm looking for an extra 10WHP, and am chipping away at it. But for racing the real benefit is getting it to corner better. Get an extra 1/20ths per corner gets me better times that increased power.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote