SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
januse1
januse1 is on a distinguished road

Default Accidentally poured rain-X windshield fluid into Coolant reservoir.

Long story short, my cousin borrowed my saturn, she called saying the "low coolant" dash light came on... so i told her i have the ORANGE coolant is in my trunk.

Well I also had rainx washer fluid (also orange) back there, and she accidentally poured that in. Didn't figure it out until i got my car back and noticed about a quarter gallon of the rainx fluid gone, and the prestone was still almost full.

I know i have to swap the fluid, but this is my commuter car to work, and i wont have any time to drain the fluid until saturday morning and pour fresh stuff in... my question is, will my car be alright until saturday until i can perform the flush?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to januse1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help januse1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
januse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: Accidentally poured rain-X windshield fluid into Coolant reservoir.

I wouldn't drive it until fixed, but your luck may vary. In addition to draining I'd go for a full flush too.

Parting with my .605 5th gear assembly.
Send me a PM if interested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

+1^^^Full flush and upgrade to attentiontodetail V2.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
APAACARMMANN
APAACARMMANN is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2001 SC2

what is attentiontodetail v2.0?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to APAACARMMANN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help APAACARMMANN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
APAACARMMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

AttentionToDetail, something the cousin obviously doesn't have. At least you didn't tell her to add oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
januse1

Never did a full flush on a saturn before. I see there is no upper cap on the radiator.

do i just undo the hose and let everything drain out that way? what about the reservoir? i have to buy a syphon for that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help januse1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=13

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Remove the thermostat and flush the crap out of everything. If you can't get the drain out without damage on the radiator then take the upper hose off as well as the lower and flush it really good. If you take the upper hose off you can also flush through the block from there.

Everything in Rain X has a very low boiling point, and none of it will do any favors for corrosion within the engine either. I'd not use the car and flush and refill as soon as you can. If you are really in a bind for time I'd at least do a quick flush to dilute it as well as possible and refill with appropriate corrosion and freeze protection until you have time to do it right later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Rain-X washer fluid is methanol and probably water and an orange dye. It probably will not play well with the DexCool which is the big risk as it may just up and coagulate to jello. A simple drain and flush followed by refill should do it. The radiator drain and block drain or take off the smaller hose close to the thermostat housing to drain the block. The smaller hose is probably easier than the block drain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
januse1

OK, so i drained the coolant completely and flushed the system.

i bought the yellow 100% prestone stuff instead of the dexcool i used before. So i poured half of the gallon in, diluted the other half and poured that in, and topped off with water.

Well i left my car running with the cap off until the fan would turn on (took forever). But before the fan turned on, i was revving the engine to warm up faster, and eventually the coolant level rose and started spilling out of the tank, so i topped it off with water again. Happened several times, at one point the coolant was gushing out of the reservoir tank. What am i doing wrong here? Is there another way to burp the system? this doesn't seem right

the coolant level suddenly rises, pours out, and then it all gets sucked in. Fill up, rinse and repeat? for how long? seems as if i have been topping off with water forever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You should use the complete full gallon of 100% antifreeze and then top of with water. Do you have a return flow from the small hose?

Do not be goosing the gas when running with the cap off, it will belch out due to changing water pump flow rates. If the concentration is below 50% which your mix process was then it will boil at atmospheric pressure right before the fan comes on. The level rises due to the thermal expansion of the coolant mix and if you have the level a bit above the normal cold level it also, will run over. This system Does Not Require Burping as it is self venting through the small hose.

You are boiling in the head at atmospheric pressure because the concentration is too low at a minimum and if there is no flow from the small line it will always boil in the head and belch coolant out even with the cap on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
januse1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You should use the complete full gallon of 100% antifreeze and then top of with water. Do you have a return flow from the small hose?

Do not be goosing the gas when running with the cap off, it will belch out due to changing water pump flow rates. If the concentration is below 50% which your mix process was then it will boil at atmospheric pressure right before the fan comes on. The level rises due to the thermal expansion of the coolant mix and if you have the level a bit above the normal cold level it also, will run over. This system Does Not Require Burping as it is self venting through the small hose.

You are boiling in the head at atmospheric pressure because the concentration is too low at a minimum and if there is no flow from the small line it will always boil in the head and belch coolant out even with the cap on.
I have no clue if i have a return from the small hose. The small hose is connected tot he back of the reservoir tank, so how can i tell if anything is returning?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Look into the reservoir, there is a small square hole in the separator between the left and right sides. You can see through there. or see ripples from the circulation. You can also feel the hose as the engine warms up as that little hose will get hot rather quickly from a cold start. The starting level should be at or close to the cold mark which is on the front left corner of the reservoir about 1/2 to 3/4 inch down from the seam between the top and bottom.

If the level is too high in the reservoir than you can not see through the square hole but the hose still must get hot as th e engine warms up. This little hose is quite important.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!