SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
taubry
taubry has a spectacular aura abouttaubry has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Dizzy Broken exhaust manifold! not cracked, completely sheared off!

I have a 2001 L200 5 speed 2.2 4cylinder. Just bought it, got a great deal on it and i love it. i've always had a bit of an appreciation for saturns and have nearly bought one on a few occasions, but finally now i own one and am happy to!

The Exhaust Manifold is entirely broken. i have done dozens of searches and people only seem to discuss cracks. this is no crack, the manifold is broken where the four cylinders meet and join the downpipe, a few inches above the flange which bolts on the the downpipe to cat section. the pipe is hanging loosely in the engine bay and it is broken far before the 02 sensor so i am incurring all the issues associated. have codes for fuel too lean, have a very high idle, car is CATASTROPHICALLY loud and obnoxious, and i have a code for the air pump which as of now i assume is because of the broken manifold.

Now, problem is i have searched my usual parts sites, scoured craigslist, and called every junkyard around and NO ONE has an exhaust manifold for a manual transmission L200. I know the one for the VUE is the same so im embarking on that avenue but my question is, are there any other GM models with the same part number for the manual tranny manifold, and in the meantime is that area able to be welded or will it not be able to be welded because of the location of the break?

any help would be awesome. thank you in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to taubry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help taubry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
taubry is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1
Default Re: Broken exhaust manifold! not cracked, completely sheared off!

Heres one on Ebay, Sounds like you need to replace the whole unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-01-02-03-...8440db&vxp=mtr

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:40 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
Heres one on Ebay, Sounds like you need to replace the whole unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-01-02-03-...8440db&vxp=mtr
No, not quite, SL19302. The link states that it's for a 2.2l with "AT" (automatic transmission).

Welcome to Saturnfans, Taubry - glad you're here! You're probably already aware that the exhaust manifold for the 2.2L with a manual transaxle is not very common as not many L's were sold with the MTs. As best I can recall from days when I worked with machinists, none ever recommended welding an exhaust manifold. I don't know about any other models which may be compatible with the L in this situation, though I certainly hope that you can find a replacement without having to resort to a custom made manifold.

There's a member here who'd found an aftermarket replacement for the exhaust manifold with MT. Take a look at the first link below.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...haust+manifold

Members posted some possible models as having an ex. man. for MT which might be compatible in the next link.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...haust+manifold

Good luck!!

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
taubry

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you so much for the quick replies and the assistance. I will be checking out those links. I know the cast iron manifolds can be welded i just dont have much confidence in the spot where it needs welding. Other issue is, i cannot remove the bolts on the flange... because the pipe is just hanging, there is no way for me to get torque onto the bolts, the pipe just flails around and that makes it impossible to turn the bolts. i've tried clamping it, zip tieing it in place, i even used truck tie downs to tie the pipe in place and wrapped the tie down around the entire engine block, nothing stopped the pipe from breaking free once i started applying torque to the ratchet. so that'll be the next issue to address. i'll probably take it to a shop so they can try to get them out with air tools.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help taubry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
No, not quite, SL19302. The link states that it's for a 2.2l with "AT" (automatic transmission)
Sorry was unaware the manifolds are different from the automatics to manuals on the L-Series.

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
TurboZutek
TurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the rough

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Uh, bad news! You're looking for one of the rarest and most expensive parts you could ever need for your car.

You'll be looking for GM parts because after-market didn't pick up this part at all and the European manifolds from the Vectra do NOT fit. Also, as you've discovered GM did a terrible job of designing and building these North American manifolds.

I managed to find a new one (after months of searching through garbage that wouldn't fit, misinformation, second hand cracked manifolds and various dead ends) for the low, low price of nearly $300.

Here's the thread I had on it at the time:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194007

Chris...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TurboZutek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TurboZutek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

You can try on this site, Some salvage yard in the United States should have a good useable Manual Trans Exhaust Manifold avaliable.

http://www.car-part.com/

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZutek View Post
Uh, bad news! You're looking for one of the rarest and most expensive parts you could ever need for your car.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194007

Chris...
Thank you for chiming in on this one! I meant to use that link first in my post, but didn't double check adequately and used the same one twice.....oh no!!

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
taubry

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:

You'll be looking for GM parts because after-market didn't pick up this part at all and the European manifolds from the Vectra do NOT fit. Also, as you've discovered GM did a terrible job of designing and building these North American manifolds.

I managed to find a new one (after months of searching through garbage that wouldn't fit, misinformation, second hand cracked manifolds and various dead ends) for the low, low price of nearly $300.

Chris...
Where did you end up finding yours?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Maybe a custom fabricated header at a good exhaust shop would be the most practical solution, if you can't find one used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:43 AM   #11
TurboZutek
TurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the roughTurboZutek is a jewel in the rough

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubry View Post
Where did you end up finding yours?
These guys were the ONLY place I could find it: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

A few other sites had it listed and even let me order, but magically no stock when it came time to ship it!

Code:
Exhaust manifold
Make: Saturn
Model: L-Series
Section: EXHAUST SYSTEM
Category: Exhaust manifold
Sub-Category: Exhaust manifold 	1 	$225.69      	$225.69

Manifold gasket
Make: Saturn
Model: L-Series
Section: EXHAUST SYSTEM
Category: Exhaust manifold
Sub-Category: Exhaust manifold 	1 	$4.81      	$4.81
I hope you can find one cheaper, or a good one in a scrap yard. I personally wouldn't fit a used manifold, they are such an awful design and horribly fragile, the act of removing it and refitting it is probably enough to give you some fractures if not straight away then soon after. Many of the small cracks in mine opened up into giant ones on removal.

Good luck !

Chris...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TurboZutek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
taubry

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I would like to truly thank all of you for your help. i am going to call Lou's custom exhaust on monday and have them fab me some headers. the only issue i could see is the air pump, but im sure they can make it work. it'll probably cost just as much as a stock manifold but will have greater integrity and i wont have to worry about it.

thanks again, i'll let you know how it goes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
taubry

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

So there is not a single exhaust shop in NH or Mass who can fabricate headers/ manifold for me. spent all morning calling, no one can do it. on top of that i slid at slow speed into an ice bank during a snow storm last night and must have thrown my camber or bent something because now my car attempts to throw me through the window everytime i let go of the steering wheel ( swerving to the right at alarming speed) and my ps is intermittent. stated to have a GM induced headache!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not sure why anyone would suggest anyone can easily fabricate a header out of the blue when there are technical dimensions that make any scratch built header more complex than just conjuring one up on a whim.........................

If this header is cast iron then someone skilled in welding should be able to weld the broken pieces back together as long as there's enough meat left (material) to work with. Heck, an even simpler repair if you have the parts laid out on a bench; brazing without welding. The high temperatures used to braze parts are still higher than exhaust temps and won't melt the brazed repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
TurboZutek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I got some expert opinions from some welders and fabricators, they said the grey cast iron used on the manifold would make a repair expensive and unreliable. The first guy predicted that getting the manifold to welding temperature would probably weaken the whole structure of what remains.

I was looking to go the repair route at first, but the consensus was it wouldn't work well, sadly.

Chris...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Cast iron not a good candidate for welding? I didn't know that. I'll try to remember this.

Would brazing work here on this piece? I wouldn't ask if I wasn't willing to do this myself if I were in this predicament. If a non flex pipe were used or the exhaust system were not hung from rubber isolators, a rigid exhaust system would rattle apart sooner from normal engine movement in its mounts unless restored to original configuration using a flex pipe and rubbers to allow a certain amount of flexing to minimize stress cracks, similar to what occurred here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:40 AM   #17
TurboZutek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Cast iron not a good candidate for welding? I didn't know that. I'll try to remember this.
The way I was told was that good quality cast iron in a low stress environment like your granny's stove is an excellent candidate for skilful welding. Cheap, nasty, badly formed grey cast iron on a high stress item like an exhaust header is a very bad candidate, it seems.

A few of the guys would try it but none could guarantee it would last more than a couple of days of use. Three out of five guys I brought the problem to laughed and all of them mocked the quality of the original item quite freely comparing it (quite rightly) to dog excrement in terms of overall quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Would brazing work here on this piece? I wouldn't ask if I wasn't willing to do this myself if I were in this predicament.
I debated it, as I could probably do it myself but again the advice was that low quality grey cast is a very poor candidate for ANY kind of weld or braze.

Braze is particularly hard as those supersonic exhaust gases like to tear the edges apart, working their way under and failing the join. The braze also heats and cools at a very different rate to the original metal, hastening fracturing.

Sounded good enough to me, so I just said 'screw it' and bought a whole new part.

Chris...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #18
taubry

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

saturn used parts store has one they will sell for $150.00. i wish i had an option other than replacing it with the same exact part, as the quality is obviously awful, but i suppose i have no choice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #19
TurboZutek

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

$150 for a USED piece of low quality metal? What a f--ing rip off.

But, they have you by the short and curlies I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #20
taubry

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
$150 for a USED piece of low quality metal? What a f--ing rip off.

But, they have you by the short and curlies I guess.
yeah trust me, i feel that way also. im gong to attempt to haggle the price as its a pretty small company

REWARD EXCELLENCE!