SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 12-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
skpnola
skpnola is on a distinguished road

Post 03 Vue serpentine belt keep breaking!!!

So I have had my 03 Vue since day one. Only had to change oil and tires. It just rolled 100k. The engine (4 cyc) started making a rattling sound but would go away if the AC was on. The other day the belt started smoking and snapped. Thinking it was just old I replaced it and two days later it happend again! Is it a siezed pully? Is the one on the bottom suppose to turn freely? Has this happend to anyone else?
skpnola is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 03 Vue serpentine belt keep breaking!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpnola View Post
So I have had my 03 Vue since day one. Only had to change oil and tires. It just rolled 100k. The engine (4 cyc) started making a rattling sound but would go away if the AC was on. The other day the belt started smoking and snapped. Thinking it was just old I replaced it and two days later it happend again! Is it a siezed pully? Is the one on the bottom suppose to turn freely? Has this happend to anyone else?
I don't have 2.2 but suspect this isn't a common problem.

Three of the four pulley's should turn by hand with belt removed.

Bottom left appears to be crank pulley - will rotate only when engine turns over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drive Belts 2.2 Edit.jpg (192.3 KB, 37 views)
I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
skpnola

Post Re: 03 Vue serpentine belt keep breaking!!!

Good to know. I checked and the AC compressor pulley is not moving freely. Can it be removed and cleaned or replaced? I'm getting passed my comfort zone removing engine parts.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpnola View Post
Good to know. I checked and the AC compressor pulley is not moving freely. Can it be removed and cleaned or replaced? I'm getting passed my comfort zone removing engine parts.
The AC clutch pulley should free-wheel until all conditions are good for the AC compressor to run (engine on, sufficient refrigerant, pressures in-range, etc).

There are service manual instructions for replacing the AC clutch ... too large to post and will certainly require technical skills and a few specialized tools.

Email an address using private message (left click on my screen name) if you want a copy.

A temporary alternative might be to determine the approximate length of a belt needed to bypass the AC compressor.

If illustration I attached is drawn to scale - you might be able to loop a shorter belt around tensioner, alternator and crank pulleys so engine will run.

This could buy time until the AC compressor is needed and/or while yours is being repaired.
I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
skpnola

Thanks for the advice. I measured out 35.5 and wad able to get a 34.5 belt on. At least it will get me through the winter. Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for posting results - this will probably come up again.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #7
bkunze21
bkunze21 is on a distinguished road

thanks i had the same issue work great
bkunze21 is offline   Reply With Quote