SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #41
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: How can you make your exhaust backfire/pop??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnkid36 View Post
Dissing on a kid thats only 16 and learning wen u should be helping and teaching me, thats why im here or i wouldnt be wasting my time.
People are helping and teaching you. They are telling you to save your money and invest in a car that is reliable and saves you money. No one besides another 16 year old will think a riced Saturn is cool, everyone else will just laugh

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #42
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnkid36 View Post
Irregardless, i'm trying to make my satty respectable at car meets, tired of getting laughed at because when i pull up its like "he's in a saturn haha", so i'm trying to fix that and represent saturn instead of honda or some other import company because its funny that saturns are faster than most hondas stock. Another reason there easy to work on and the most american 4cyl's u can buy, and im a GM guy. I cant afford a cobalt or any other 'sporty' 4cyl. A little more respect? Dissing on a kid thats only 16 and learning wen u should be helping and teaching me, thats why im here or i wouldnt be wasting my time.
I started out driving a 72 Datsun 210 wagon when I was 16 and had people that had Camaros and such laugh at me, but a did something about it. I took auto shop for 3 years to improve my knowledge of cars. Started to hang out with my friends that had real racecars. Started the street legal program with a 81 Toyota tercel that ran low 18's. Again got laughed at by the "import crowd". Again overcame it by saving up the money and bought a 71 Camaro RS the was a fixer upper. Took it to the track and it ran 15's. Starting saving the money and with my increasing knowledge and patience, built me a 450 hp 350 small block that ran 12.4 at 108mph. When I left the racing scene 2 years ago, after 11 years of it. I got a lot of respect and sad goodbyes from my fellow racers and the "top dog" at the time told me that I was geeting so good, that HE was afraid to race me. This is how you gain respect and learn. Don't try to be what The "in crowd" wants you to be. If they are laughing at you, then you need to find a better crowd to hang out with. These people need to get a clue and quit watching "fast and furious".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #43
Project84
Advanced Member
Project84 will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR

I'm a bit of a realist.

I think if you're going to mod a commuter econobox, it should be more towards that being your ultimate goal. More reliability, more economy.

Someone hypermiling a car is someone who maintains their car to a VERY strict standard and knows every squeak and quirk of their car. At 16, you should lean that direction with your Saturn. Hell, at 40 if you owned a Saturn I'd still suggest the same.

It's WAYYYY easier to use any tool, any machine, in its intended way. You wouldn't take a spoon and try hammering in roofing nails. It's much easier, cheaper, and logical to take a hammer for the job.

If you wanna be a racer, buy a different car.

Now to take it into that uncharted territory - at 16 you have a CAR!! Be thankful, your chances of getting laid just went up about 80%. Don't go ruin your car and end up back on the school bus man! That hot chick in your science class doesn't give a crap if your car backfires or not!

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L
Previous - '01 SL1 daily driver and '96 SL2 auto 40+mpg hypermiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #44
Nicktheviperman
Advanced Member
Nicktheviperman is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

no saturn that runs good back fires it may gurgle that's noise it will not back fire more. Because simply it doesn't in the first place. Do not drill any holes keep a clean car clay it wax polish and drive it how is lower it if need be put a lip on fog lights etc.... its not a race car its a economy car. Race cars do not get 30 mpg.... u can't afford a race car simply because race cars get rebuilt after a race... saturns were designed as a passenger car that was a different kind of company.... A header and a thrush turbo will do u just fine toss the fart crap can.... if u keep it ur a disgrace to GM. It will not back fire it will run rich and mess crap up btw fuel in oil fuel messing up alot of stuff back firing would burn ur valves and ud go broke buying oil to replace after burning it....

hmmmmmmmmm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nicktheviperman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nicktheviperman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nicktheviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #45
tivervun
tivervun is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

[sarcasm]
Wedge a worn out carbed first gen GM 60* V6 into your Saturn! Make sure to include a 2" wide exhaust with some rust holes in the Y-pipe. Walker muffler, no cat. ...and a stretched timing chain likely would not hurt. :P
You can probably get 25+mpg mixed city/highway out of something like that in a Saturn!

You will need to add a period to make these links work.
It might end up idling like this:
soundcloud com/user280903398/birdidle

Popping like this if you crest a hill just as you release the throttle:
soundcloud com/user280903398/poppoppop

More popping if you do a moderate acceleration:
soundcloud com/user280903398/accelpop

Then they will really respect you.
Your milk shake will bring all the boys to the yard.
[/sarcasm]

Anyway. Unless you are going to spend lots of money to properly build a racing S-Series you really need to just respect and accept the car for what it is and was designed to be. Also most racing cars should have a trailer and a truck.

I mean, I very much hate my 97 SW2 for being FWD/auto/modern/etc but I have to appreciate that in some ways not too difficult to work on(only some) and more often than not the guys at NAPA make a surprised comment about parts being unexpectedly cheap or interesting. I am not sure if they are BSing me or not since I can never remember the prices. I just buy what I need, note the repair in the log book, then forget about it.

It is transportation and quite cheap on gas.
Please do not rice your Saturn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
someone who maintains their car to a VERY strict standard and knows every squeak and quirk of their car.
^ Strive to be this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
Be thankful, your chances of getting laid just went up about 80%.
But be smart about that eh. Otherwise the money you save on gas will be paying for a kid for the next 18 years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tivervun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tivervun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tivervun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #46
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

i can't believe i just read thru 3 pages of retard...

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #47
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Ughh, why did he have to buy a Saturn. I just read Saturnkid was cutting his springs in another post. He has no money and trying to ruin the car asap.

Saturnkid, many of the members here are trying to be as nice as possible giving you the best possible advice. You can have a great reliable car with excellent gas mileage. The Honda Civic forums are more your type of community. I think you may have purchase the wrong car for the modifications you want to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #48
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
i can't believe i just read thru 3 pages of retard...
lol, indeed.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #49
jegster
jegster is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Hey Saturnkid I see you're from Huntsville. If you need any help with working on your car and getting it to a respectable state hit me up. I've been doing car shows and cruises for years around the area and get plenty of respect for my Saturn.

Jeff
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jegstersl2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jegster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jegster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #50
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

I understand your young, and take it from me try and keep the mechanical part of the car stock it will only mess things up leaving you without a vehical to drive, When I was young im 27 now I left the engine stock and customized the body, Really for me I dont care about power or sound but I do care the way the car looks going down the road.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #51
brian74
brian74 is a jewel in the roughbrian74 is a jewel in the roughbrian74 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2002 SC2

Back when I was in high school, other kids were trying to mod pintos and make wooden ground effects for Chevy Citations. The guys with the biggest pieces of ***** had their money tied up in the loudest car stereos. Those were the days...

OP: Save your car mod money for your future endeavors. Go to real car meets without the intent of showing off your ride, but instead spend some time talking to the owners of the other cars, and make some new friends. Learn as much as you can early on and you will impress people more by your knowledge. Go to different car meets. The true enthusiasts are in it because they share a common love for the hobby and they are invested in it with technical expertise and knowledge. They LOVE to share that knowledge with others who are interested enough to listen. What makes a car impressive or custom isn't how much it mimics a certain style, its the details and pride that its owner has put into it, no matter how subtle.

There are a lot of cars out there as well as a lot that you can do to a car. Down the road you will have a better idea of what you really want, how to build it, and the money to do it.

2001 SL1 205k miles; daily driver
2002 SC2 166k (sold)

Last edited by brian74; 12-23-2013 at 08:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brian74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brian74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brian74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #52
joker51
joker51 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Ok Im not a 16 year old kid, Im 41 years old. And Saturnkid trust me when I say this. Don't do this!!! I spent my teenage years building cars that would turn heads. Had a 76 Nova custom (4door) that would turn heads. Stereo was so loud you could hear it in a house as I drove by,(but didn't rattle like the rice burners do) Could smoke the tires from a dead stop. This car was my moms car that I got to drive to school. pure stock.
My next car was a 74 Camaro that I did the body on. Person I bought it from tore it down for a dirt track racer. redid the body in my parents garage and painted it. Again turned heads due to the stereo in it. (pair of 6x9, 2 12" subs and 4" midrange in the doors.) This car would burn the rubber off of tires doing a break stand. Had a whole block in rubber smoke one night.
Then I had a 68 C10 truck, 84 Eldorado, 67 BelAir 92 Geo metro 92 Geo Storm, a few Explorers, a couple buicks, a Thunderbird, a Monte Carlo, 79 Tans AM, 79 International Scout and a few others. (Owned 11 cars at one point).
Point Im getting at all my cars were stock as far as engine and exhaust went. Majority of them turned heads not because of how they sound running but how they looked and how the stereo sounded.
Funniest thing of all, is the 2 cars that turned the most heads were my 68 C10 and the 79 Scout. Both were rust buckets. but they were unique since no one else around had one. I sold the C10 (worst day of my life) for 3 times I paid for it after driving it for 3 years and putting almost 40k miles on it. Still have the Scout and the best offer for it I have gotten is 5k (I bought it for $800)
What I am trying to say is, Mod the body upgrade the stereo but DONT make the car into something its not. IT IS NOT a rice burner its an American car. Rattle the windows with the stereo, put some ground effects on it if you want. But the pissed off bumble bee sound sucks. Backfiring makes it look like your mechanic doesn't know what hes doing with cars.
That's why I love driving my Scout. Take the top off, crank the stereo and watch my kids laugh their arses off when a little rice burner pulls up next to me and revs their little car with the fart can on it and I stomp the gas and leave them coughing on the black smoke the scout lets out when stomped.
Drive what you have and turn heads with the stereo and looks not turning heads of people trying to find the car that's not running right and backfiring.

Joker51

1999 SL1 stock
Joker51

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joker51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joker51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #53
brian74
brian74 is a jewel in the roughbrian74 is a jewel in the roughbrian74 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker51 View Post
Ok Im not a 16 year old kid, Im 41 years old. And Saturnkid trust me when I say this. Don't do this!!! I spent my teenage years building cars that would turn heads. Had a 76 Nova custom (4door) that would turn heads. Stereo was so loud you could hear it in a house as I drove by,(but didn't rattle like the rice burners do) Could smoke the tires from a dead stop. This car was my moms car that I got to drive to school. pure stock.
My next car was a 74 Camaro that I did the body on. Person I bought it from tore it down for a dirt track racer. redid the body in my parents garage and painted it. Again turned heads due to the stereo in it. (pair of 6x9, 2 12" subs and 4" midrange in the doors.) This car would burn the rubber off of tires doing a break stand. Had a whole block in rubber smoke one night.
Then I had a 68 C10 truck, 84 Eldorado, 67 BelAir 92 Geo metro 92 Geo Storm, a few Explorers, a couple buicks, a Thunderbird, a Monte Carlo, 79 Tans AM, 79 International Scout and a few others. (Owned 11 cars at one point).
Point Im getting at all my cars were stock as far as engine and exhaust went. Majority of them turned heads not because of how they sound running but how they looked and how the stereo sounded.
Funniest thing of all, is the 2 cars that turned the most heads were my 68 C10 and the 79 Scout. Both were rust buckets. but they were unique since no one else around had one. I sold the C10 (worst day of my life) for 3 times I paid for it after driving it for 3 years and putting almost 40k miles on it. Still have the Scout and the best offer for it I have gotten is 5k (I bought it for $800)
What I am trying to say is, Mod the body upgrade the stereo but DONT make the car into something its not. IT IS NOT a rice burner its an American car. Rattle the windows with the stereo, put some ground effects on it if you want. But the pissed off bumble bee sound sucks. Backfiring makes it look like your mechanic doesn't know what hes doing with cars.
That's why I love driving my Scout. Take the top off, crank the stereo and watch my kids laugh their arses off when a little rice burner pulls up next to me and revs their little car with the fart can on it and I stomp the gas and leave them coughing on the black smoke the scout lets out when stomped.
Drive what you have and turn heads with the stereo and looks not turning heads of people trying to find the car that's not running right and backfiring.

Joker51
Lol, my 2nd car was a '74 Camaro as well. Miss that beast.

2001 SL1 205k miles; daily driver
2002 SC2 166k (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brian74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brian74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brian74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #54
1sksc2
1sksc2 has a spectacular aura about1sksc2 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2

saturnkid gap ur plugs bigger. idk why but it makes it pop pretty good. from experience of being annoyed by my own exhaust. lmao i just couldnt take the noise so i had to put it back to normal. i do have to admit, it did sound bad ass for a wannabe ricer. especially at high rpms. also its automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1sksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1sksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1sksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #55
joker51
joker51 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Funny thing about my Camaro, after all the work I put into it to fix it back up from a dirt track racer drove it a few years before engine finally went ( had no compression on 1 cylinder for 2 years before finally giving up. drove about 40k miles in those 2 years due to traveling back and forth from SoCal to ND). When I finally sold it the guy that bought it turned it back into a dirt track racer lol. I was the 3rd owner. Only me and the first owner ever drove it on the street.

Joker51

1999 SL1 stock
Joker51

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joker51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joker51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #56
1sksc2

1996 SL2

i guess those cars are good dirt track cars. i turned a 92 pontiac sunbird into a dirt track car. being it was front wheel dive made it a lil hard to drive. in the dirt at high speeds. lol i never won but i did come in third. lol it wasnt legit in a real competition just a group of friends whit beat up cars having a blast. lol more like a high speed derby. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1sksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #57
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker51 View Post

Joker51
A loud stereo usually turns heads for the wrong reasons. The majority of people I know (and frankly 99% of the people 25+) turn their head because they are looking and thinking "what is that dumba** doing?"

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #58
1sksc2

1996 SL2

i for one love a loud radio with deep bass. lol me and my brother put three 15's and six 6 by 9's in mine. felt like we needed to put a bunch of sheet metal screws everywhere just to keep it from rattling. lol we never did though. but im from las vegas and if you got stuff like that your on the cool list

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #59
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled Saturn View Post
A loud stereo usually turns heads for the wrong reasons. The majority of people I know (and frankly 99% of the people 25+) turn their head because they are looking and thinking "what is that dumba** doing?"
Exactly! I was into loud car audio but respected others with regards to the noise. Nowadays I want to throw a brick through the windows of those DUMBAZZES that cruise through the neighborhood at all hours BASSING out!

BOOM BOOM BOOM wtf? Trying to go deaf before your 25? I'm Thinking "You might like it but it's just noise to me!"

You can have it loud without disturbing others.

That kind of attention is worse than Fart cans on automatics or having no muffler!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #60
codyas
codyas is on a distinguished road

you'd get bad bad mpg, but unplug the o2 sensor on the manifold.. it depends how good engine is too.. i had 2 saturns both single cam.. ran them both no exhaust just exhaust manifold with o2 plugged in.. the junk old 240000 mile one shot fire and backfired all the time and smoked oil... the 120000 mile one never did nothing. when down**** it just pop 1 time and done.. but the 240000 even backfired while hitting the gas...

that car was even automatic... just idling it shot fire out the pipe and poped.. melted wires etc.... another stupid way to backfire is put dohc injectors on sohc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to codyas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help codyas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
codyas is offline   Reply With Quote