SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
Default Re: How can you make your exhaust backfire/pop??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnkid36 View Post
So basically what your saying is that if I drill a hole anywhere after the O2 sensor it will run a little more rich and backfire more. And the mileage won't bother me too bad. But would it sound more noticeable if i do drill a hole? Like a bad crappy sound? Thank you so much for your time as well I would just really like to know
Nothing says race car more than intentional exhaust leaks.

drill a hole in the oil pan. The car will make lots of pops and bangs then...

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #22
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexofnazareth View Post
nothing says race car more than intentional exhaust leaks.

Drill a hole in the oil pan. The car will make lots of pops and bangs then...
x2. Lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #23
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

No. Anywhere that allows air to get to the O2 sensor. This is in the manifold, the farther away from the manifold your hole is the better. Notice the muffler is a big fat hole, but it is really far away from the manifold.

The richness shouldn't effect the backfire, it is an unintended side effect, but you're mainly only going to hear a backfire on DFCO and you shouldn't run rich in DFCO. Also notice where I said this will be bad for the engine? Not a big deal if the car is just something to screw around with, but for a daily driver I wouldn't do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
Saturnkid36
Saturnkid36 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
No. Anywhere that allows air to get to the O2 sensor. This is in the manifold, the farther away from the manifold your hole is the better. Notice the muffler is a big fat hole, but it is really far away from the manifold.

The richness shouldn't effect the backfire, it is an unintended side effect, but you're mainly only going to hear a backfire on DFCO and you shouldn't run rich in DFCO. Also notice where I said this will be bad for the engine? Not a big deal if the car is just something to screw around with, but for a daily driver I wouldn't do it.
No no no , I was talking about the O2 sensor right before where the cat used to be. Not the O2 on the actual manifold. That would be pure stupidity to go that far and drill a hole in the actual manifold. I'm talking about drilling a few holes right where the cat used to be just for the simple noise of popping/backfiring. Where should i drill these holes. after the cat somewhere in the middle of the car? Or more towards the back of the car before the muffler?

2001 SC2 190K+
Automatic:(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnkid36's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnkid36 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturnkid36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #25
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

There is no O2 sensor right before the cat. There is one after the cat and its only purpose in life is monitoring cat efficiency, it has no control over mixture.

You are missing the whole point. A hole where the cat used to be will allow some air (oxygen) to get back to the O2 sensor in the manifold. This will mess up your AFR bigtime. No offense intended, but pure stupidity is drilling holes in the exhaust pipe anywhere...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Thrush Turbo muffler, no other change's needed.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
Saturnkid36

2001 SC2

Quote:
There is no O2 sensor right before the cat. There is one after the cat and its only purpose in life is monitoring cat efficiency, it has no control over mixture.

You are missing the whole point. A hole where the cat used to be will allow some air (oxygen) to get back to the O2 sensor in the manifold. This will mess up your AFR bigtime. No offense intended, but pure stupidity is drilling holes in the exhaust pipe anywhere...
Well i understand that none of this is a good idea, but even if it is a stupid conversation, i've already learned quite a few things about exhaust. And there is a sensor, that looks very similiar to an O2 sensor. Right before the cat. Not after, i've double checked, and i already knew that it would mess up the AFR. Thats one of the reasons it will backfire more and use more fuel and hurt mileage slightly. Irregardless. If i drill the hole near the middle of the car will it backfire more. Or will it backfire more if i drill the hole more towards the muffler?

2001 SC2 190K+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnkid36 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #28
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

There's an O2 sensor in the manifold, directly off the engine, and a second one behind the catalytic converter (opposite of the flex-pipe). If it's in front of the catalytic converter (same end as the flex-pipe) then someone's screwed around with it trying to mask some kind of problem.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
Saturnkid36

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
There's an O2 sensor in the manifold, directly off the engine, and a second one behind the catalytic converter (opposite of the flex-pipe). If it's in front of the catalytic converter (same end as the flex-pipe) then someone's screwed around with it trying to mask some kind of problem.
I know the one in the manifold is there, but like i said its before the cat, because when i got the cat cut off it was before, and still is, and what do you mean mask some kind of problem up? Like what kind of problem?

2001 SC2 190K+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #30
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

You all have remember that this is a 16 year old kid trying to mimic the imports. Not giving any consideration to what kind of car he has.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #31
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
You all have remember that this is a 16 year old kid trying to mimic the imports. Not giving any consideration to what kind of car he has.
And just like the imports, you can never make the ol' 4 cylinder sound like a "racecar" unless your definition of "racecar" is very skewed...

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #32
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled Saturn View Post
And just like the imports, you can never make the ol' 4 cylinder sound like a "racecar" unless your definition of "racecar" is very skewed...
Quite...

However, this is his car. If he wants to do whatever to it, that is his choice.

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #33
Saturnkid36

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
Irregardless, i'm trying to make my satty respectable at car meets, tired of getting laughed at because when i pull up its like "he's in a saturn haha", so i'm trying to fix that and represent saturn instead of honda or some other import company because its funny that saturns are faster than most hondas stock. Another reason there easy to work on and the most american 4cyl's u can buy, and im a GM guy. I cant afford a cobalt or any other 'sporty' 4cyl. A little more respect? Dissing on a kid thats only 16 and learning wen u should be helping and teaching me, thats why im here or i wouldnt be wasting my time.

2001 SC2 190K+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #34
Project84
Advanced Member
Project84 will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR

I'll teach you something...

Save your money. At 16, this is the most important lesson you will ever NEED to learn.

If you break your car, hopefully you have a job and will pay to repair it. Hopefully you buy a repair manual and learn to repair it yourself. SAVING MONEY and being SELF SUFFICIENT. Best case scenario, you NEVER break your car and you still learn to fix it because at 180k you're in need of some maintenance I'm sure.

If you break your car and rely on mom and dad's money to fix it, you'll never learn a damn thing.

I blew up 3 transmissions in my highschool car thinking I was a "race car driver" because I had an 80's Camaro that was an auto that I shifted manually. Paid my brother the $400 to swap the first one, and was too broke so went to the junkyard and paid $125 to pull and learn to do the 2nd and 3rd.

If I would've accepted that having a nice, clean, respectable, classy Camaro was good enough, I'd still own that car and DAMN HOW I MISS IT! Instead, I ended up blowing the engine and couldn't afford to repair it so I sold it for nearly nothing and bought my first Saturn, a '96 SL2 which I began modding for high fuel efficiency when gas first hit $4/gal back in '06-07 and drove it to save money because I was 18 and had just moved out of my parent's house.

So no dissing whatsoever in my post on you, but if you sincerely wanna learn the lesson of this entire thread, learn to STOP doing what you're doing. Save your money. Get out of the "mod" section and go to the tech section and learn how to repair the things that will inevitably go wrong with the car you've been undoubtedly abusing since getting your license.

Go on now, get.

School is out of session.

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L
Previous - '01 SL1 daily driver and '96 SL2 auto 40+mpg hypermiler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #35
Project84
Advanced Member

2009 AURA XR

..and they'll always laugh at your Saturn at the local car meet. Unless you can pull in there and take their lunch money they have right to laugh because you are kidding around, you just don't realize it.

Your best bet is to not go to the car meets. At 16 you want to fit in, but if feeling bad for yourself over your car is driving your passion to mod it in ways that are ridiculous and of no benefit, then why bother with this group of guys at the car meet? Stop trying to fit in. You're hurting yourself.

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Project84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #36
Project84
Advanced Member

2009 AURA XR

..and beacuse I actually do have something worth contributing and I'm in fact NOT Dr. Phil...

My '94 Z28 backfires quite frequently. It's running a pretty rich tune and having a stick shift helps find unburnt fuel between shifts I'm sure. It has no cats, just one large resonator at the rear to dual exit. It sounds incredible.

on the flip side...

My Vulcan cruiser backfires like a SOB! Oddly enough, it doesn't have any fuel programmer on it but I modded the intake to a cone filter and the exhaust is straight through with no baffling... it achieves 53mpg regularly and the general concensus on backfiring on this bike is because it's so lean.... too lean they say. Yet it has great power, throttle response, and MPG.

So there you have it. Two scenarios, one rich, one lean, both creating backfire.

To go about modding in such a way as to seek out backfiring is kinda foolish. While it does sound cool, it's generally thought of as being an indicator of a fuelling issue.

John
'09 Saturn Aura XR 2.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #37
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

It would be helpful f you gained appreciation of a clean, perfectly running car. Make THAT your goal, because then it will only help your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #38
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnkid36 View Post
Irregardless, i'm trying to make my satty respectable at car meets, tired of getting laughed at
Any respectable "car meets" will appreciate you and your car for what they are - unless you are being stupid. I have friends with Z28 Camaros pushing >500hp out of a 350 and another with a Mini Cooper S running >300hp out of whatever little engine it has, they don't give me any garbage for driving a stock (currently) Saturn. If you are going out and trying to fit in with a bunch of clique-ish ricer pukes then don't be shocked when they mock you. Additionally, anybody is going to laugh at you for drilling holes in your exhaust in an attempt to fit in.

Summary: Find mature people to hang out with and leave the car alone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #39
sallydriver

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Any respectable "car meets" will appreciate you and your car for what they are - unless you are being stupid. I have friends with Z28 Camaros pushing >500hp out of a 350 and another with a Mini Cooper S running >300hp out of whatever little engine it has, they don't give me any garbage for driving a stock (currently) Saturn. If you are going out and trying to fit in with a bunch of clique-ish ricer pukes then don't be shocked when they mock you. Additionally, anybody is going to laugh at you for drilling holes in your exhaust in an attempt to fit in.

Summary: Find mature people to hang out with and leave the car alone.
Yes. True car guys will not mock you for having a reliable, cheap means of transportation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #40
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

No true car show has riced out Hondas at it and people who think those are cool...

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote