SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Saturnkid36
Saturnkid36 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default How can you make your exhaust backfire/pop??

Hey guys I was wondering how I could get my 2001 sc2 to backfire at decceleration or revving. I have a stock exhaust system, no cat, no resonators but just a resonated tip(fartcan) at the end for a nice tone, its deep. But only when i deccelerate i can barely hear it pop a little and every now and again it will be a little loud. I Would love for that pop to be somewhat louder but not too ridiculous. No, im not doing the sparkplug trick And im not messing with the ignition system or advancing the timing. I had the car completely straight piped at one point right after the O2 sensor and it backfired pretty good and sounded like a racecar, but sounded like **** while accelerating. Would a test pipe at the O2 sensor make it backfire louder? Or knocking a hole in the exhaust ? I'd really like to know because it turns heads and it sounds wicked and it always feels good to turn heads in a saturn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnkid36's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnkid36 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturnkid36 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: How can you make your exhaust backfire/pop??

Seriously???? Why would you want that? Backfires are not good for the engine and does not sound like a racecar. Nothing that you mention even resembles a "racecar". Are you trying to "rice out" your car? Popping only happens when the exhaust is not TUNED right. Just look at your example. Non tuned exhaust just hurts the performance of the car. Seriously????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Saturnkid36

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
Seriously???? Why would you want that? Backfires are not good for the engine and does not sound like a racecar. Nothing that you mention even resembles a "racecar". Are you trying to "rice out" your car? Popping only happens when the exhaust is not TUNED right. Just look at your example. Non tuned exhaust just hurts the performance of the car. Seriously????
What? It's definitely not hurting the motor. It helps it breathe alot better and has no more restrictions. Cutting a cat is the best thing you can do for certain cars. Just not for the environment. And i didn't know you could tune an exhaust, you can't do such thing. Also it does sound like one at decceleration, if you've ever heard one. Yes. Seriously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnkid36 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Is it a manual?

If yes, deceleration or especially downshifting (not rev matched) will give you what you are looking for. Automatics more or less won't ever make that sound.

Anything louder than that will not be easy to accomplish, and it won't be good for the car either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
Saturnkid36

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
Is it a manual?

If yes, deceleration or especially downshifting (not rev matched) will give you what you are looking for. Automatics more or less won't ever make that sound.

Anything louder than that will not be easy to accomplish, and it won't be good for the car either.
Yes its an automatic sadly but lets say it was a manual, is there any other way besides downshifting to get the backfire?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

I am not so sure I would call it a "backfire" as that IMO is mainly addressing combustion occurring on the intake side and is a real bad thing. This exhaust popping is just little bits of fuel getting burned up on the way out the tailpipe. (Wikipedia disagrees with me on definitions) Nothing really harmful about it, but there is no simple way to make it louder either.

Probably plenty of other ways to get the backfire, everyone one of them involves large sums of money and time though. I'm betting if you dumped a little extra fuel in during high vacuum you'd get lots of pop-pop-pop. The bottom line is what you are hearing is normal - making more of what you are hearing will be really bad for the engine and exhaust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

Just after the cat and where it joins the back pipe leave a gap. Generates a nice pop-popping when you jump off the accelerator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

stupid

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnkid36 View Post
What? It's definitely not hurting the motor. It helps it breathe alot better and has no more restrictions. Cutting a cat is the best thing you can do for certain cars. Just not for the environment. And i didn't know you could tune an exhaust, you can't do such thing. Also it does sound like one at decceleration, if you've ever heard one. Yes. Seriously.
You CAN tune an exhaust. Its all about getting the right size and parts to increase the flow with increase horsepower. This kind of tuning involves "scavenging". Real racecars have them and I have seen, even on this forum, cars that do that and not have the popping. I have heard that popping and I think it sounds like crap. Just like a "fartcan". Put on a real muffler and it will sound a lot better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Saturnkid36

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveniebam View Post
Just after the cat and where it joins the back pipe leave a gap. Generates a nice pop-popping when you jump off the accelerator.
I don't have a cat on the car anymore. And what do you mean by leaving a gap? Like cut the pipe off and leave it? I did that before and it was just a straightpipe

2001 SC2 190K+
Automatic:(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

Why dont you post up a video of how it sounds right now?

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

As Madness said, Yes an exhaust system can be tuned.

Saturnkid36: "Cutting a cat is the best thing you can do for certain cars. Just not for the environment."

There is no need to delete the cat and resonator. In fact the resonator can tune the exhaust note to prevent droning especially cruising at highway speeds as well as idle tone. You can tune for both flow efficiency and sound. Adding a longer resonator will deepen the tone of the exhaust note. The cat on an S-Series is not a performance restriction.

Also higher fuel pressure (which would be bad for your catalytic converter if you had one) as well as increasing your pipe diameter before the lateral links combined with a low restriction muffler will cause more exhaust pops (at least it does on a manual). Your fuel system is returnless, so you do not have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

As stated before, the pops are really just unburnt fuel in the exhaust. Personally, if subtle the noise is OK and I like it, If loud then I find it annoying as well as inconsiderate to others. I may like the sound of my car, but I don't have to expose others to loud noise just because I like it.

The gap that was mentioned is simply an air leak that allows the excessive unburnt fuel to ignite easier while in the exhaust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
proveniebam
Advanced Member
proveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the roughproveniebam is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnkid36 View Post
I don't have a cat on the car anymore. And what do you mean by leaving a gap? Like cut the pipe off and leave it? I did that before and it was just a straightpipe
Where the two sections join (long tail pipe to the end of the cat). It's where the two join about mid way down the car.

Mine snapped at that join (hung down scrapping the ground almost) and it made a really cool popping sound.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to proveniebam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help proveniebam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
proveniebam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

There was an Audi in recent years (don't know which one) that would fire a tiny drop of fuel into the exhaust during a downshift...sounds glorious.

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
Saturnkid36

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveniebam View Post
Where the two sections join (long tail pipe to the end of the cat). It's where the two join about mid way down the car.

Mine snapped at that join (hung down scrapping the ground almost) and it made a really cool popping sound.
Yea and it's just a straight pipe from the end of the cat. Therefore the rest of the exhaust from the cat-back is useless. And it's not obnoxiously loud, it sounds good now but i do love a good backfire, and would drilling a hole in the exhaust right after where the cat used to be cause that effect of a backfire? But not sound like crap?

2001 SC2 190K+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

If the cat is gone, and you cut a hole near where it used to be your mileage is going to suffer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #17
Saturnkid36

2001 SC2

Quote:
If the cat is gone, and you cut a hole near where it used to be your mileage is going to suffer...
Even if i made the gap there inbetween like he said earlier, it would kill the mileage too right? I need that answered, if i drill a hole in the exhaust will it pop and backfire more? And ow badly are we talking about it affecting mileage. I get around 30 now.

2001 SC2 190K+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
anmasher

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

You need a leak-free exhaust up to the Cat-con as that is what the O2 sensor reads and any oxygen in there will cause the mixture to go rich. Normally you can have any size leak you want after the cat since it provides enough resistance to keep the air from coming back into the pipe. (I even broke my new engine in on just a manifold/downpipe/cat hanging from the bottom of the car).

5MPG would be the minimum I would expect, and this super rich mixture will not be good for any part of the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
Saturnkid36

2001 SC2

Quote:
You need a leak-free exhaust up to the Cat-con as that is what the O2 sensor reads and any oxygen in there will cause the mixture to go rich. Normally you can have any size leak you want after the cat since it provides enough resistance to keep the air from coming back into the pipe. (I even broke my new engine in on just a manifold/downpipe/cat hanging from the bottom of the car).

5MPG would be the minimum I would expect, and this super rich mixture will not be good for any part of the engine.
So basically what your saying is that if I drill a hole anywhere after the O2 sensor it will run a little more rich and backfire more. And the mileage won't bother me too bad. But would it sound more noticeable if i do drill a hole? Like a bad crappy sound? Thank you so much for your time as well I would just really like to know

2001 SC2 190K+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
Nicktheviperman
Advanced Member
Nicktheviperman is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

the only muffler that sounds good is a thrush turbo 17702 and thats it no fart cans your car is a economy car no race car gets 30 plus mpg you shall burn in hell

hmmmmmmmmm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nicktheviperman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nicktheviperman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nicktheviperman is offline   Reply With Quote