SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 12-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
jasenpeters
jasenpeters is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1996 SC2
Default Valve Job Advice - 1996 SC2 DOHC

The old 1996 SC2 DOHC (220,000 miles) has been doing well since my last post (2008 clutch change).

A few months ago (Aug 2013) on a long trip from Austin to Houston the engine started running pretty rough at about 100 miles into the trip.

I brought it to a shop and the code and compression check indicated that #4 cylinder (the driver side cylinder), had 10 lbs. of pressure. The remaining valves had pressure in the 190's psi.

From this forum (thank you all), I figured it was a damaged valve.

I pulled the head today and verified that indeed it was an exhaust valve.
#4 cylinder exhaust valve is chipped. (Picture #1)

I found a place (Austin, TX) that would do a "valve job" that includes the following:
$175 - Cleaning, seals replaced, valves bumped or replaced
$45 - Check for cracks
$45 - Resurface head
$11 - per valve replacement ($88 for Exhaust only, $176 for all valves)

Turnaround: 3 days

Does this sound reasonable?

I intend to replace all Exhaust valves.
Should I also replace the Intake valves?

This is only the beginning and I will have more questions as I continue the process.

Thanks in Advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1996SC2_Cylinder_#4.jpg (136.7 KB, 36 views)

1996 SC2, Manual
160k, 36mpg Hwy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasenpeters's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasenpeters reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jasenpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
billysvue
Advanced Member
billysvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Valve Job Advice - 1996 SC2 DOHC

3 angle grind??????

'05 ,2.2L, 5-speed VUE
174,000mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

They are always the supposed 3 angle grind.

Just replace the burned valve and get the rest of it. You may lose a couple more in the deal but no reason to throw away good ones. The real problem is to figure out what caused the valve to burn out. Possible low fuel pressure (45-51psi) or dirty injectors, or EGR leaking. What the cause may be depends on what brand of gas you buy and what maintenance has been done.

How fast were you driving when the valve burned out. It is not chipped, it is burned.

Quoted price may be a bit high but if they do quality work I would pay it a saving 25.00 is not that big of a deal and it sounds like that price includes the seals which are about 30.00 alone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
They are always the supposed 3 angle grind.

Just replace the burned valve and get the rest of it. You may lose a couple more in the deal but no reason to throw away good ones. The real problem is to figure out what caused the valve to burn out. Possible low fuel pressure (45-51psi) or dirty injectors, or EGR leaking. What the cause may be depends on what brand of gas you buy and what maintenance has been done.
Would excessive lean (low fuel pressure) or incomplete combustion (dirty injectors) result in a rich/lean DTC?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Not usually, it all depends on how fast he was going and how hot it was at the time. It is hot in Texas in August and Austin to Houston can simulate a race track. High speed and high temperature can get you a lean mixture with no warning and by design #4 runs hotter than the other 3 cylinders.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
jasenpeters

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Old Nuc, what did you mean by...
Quote:

Just replace the burned valve and get the rest of it. You may lose a couple more in the deal but no reason to throw away good ones.
At the very least, I intend to replace all of the exhaust valves, cost is not a problem. The car has 220 k miles with no previous valve work - I would assume that the remaining exhaust valves are near the end of their life.
Are there any good reasons to NOT replace all of them?
I am ok with not replacing the intake valves unless the shop finds a problem and they need replacing.

As far as why it may have happened, unfortunately at the time the car was burning oil at a higher rate than the past 5-6 years, which was burning a quart about every 1000 miles. In the past year, the rate seems to have increased to a quart about every 500 miles. I did replace the EGR valve with new gasket about 5 years ago and no codes have popped up since the replacement.

Thanks so much for your help, I will keep you updated. More questions to come upon reassembly.

1996 SC2, Manual
160k, 36mpg Hwy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jasenpeters reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
jasenpeters

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Quote:
Not usually, it all depends on how fast he was going and how hot it was at the time. It is hot in Texas in August and Austin to Houston can simulate a race track. High speed and high temperature can get you a lean mixture with no warning and by design #4 runs hotter than the other 3 cylinders.
Thanks for the info about #4 burning hotter by design.
About 5 years ago when I was working on the EGR valve I cleaned the fuel injectors and the throttle body components, and checked the intake sensors.

1996 SC2, Manual
160k, 36mpg Hwy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Would not hurt to repeat that maintenance and get the fuel pressure checked, bring back real numbers not some vague "its OK" written on a work order. Those valves do not wear out from age and if they are actually bad they will replace them as required.

High oil consumption does not help either. You may want to consider just overhauling the entire engine as you are about half done already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
jasenpeters

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Can a "rebuild" be done with the block in the engine compartment?
Any references to a rebuild would be helpful, I'll search around too, but there may be some choice ones out there.

I was considering replacing the front seal at least.
Also, I'm looking into the piston mod (drilling holes in the oil ring slot) to
reduce oil consumption.

I will have to weigh the options (time, money, tools, etc) on a rebuild, but will consider it significantly.

Could the front and rear seals be replaced with block in compartment?

To be continued....

1996 SC2, Manual
160k, 36mpg Hwy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
billr
Advanced Member
billr has a spectacular aura aboutbillr has a spectacular aura about

Could it be "rebuilt" in the car? Maybe, it depends on what you are calling a "rebuild". However,it would probably be more effort and expense than pulling the engine out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Front yes, rear no, impractical.
Rebuild links. Pay close attention to the cboss remove/replace method.
These 2 threads point out what can go wrong and some things that were overlooked. The problem with ehunters rebuild is the rebuilt head was crap which took almost a year to figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenpeters View Post
Can a "rebuild" be done with the block in the engine compartment?
Any references to a rebuild would be helpful, I'll search around too, but there may be some choice ones out there.

I was considering replacing the front seal at least.
Also, I'm looking into the piston mod (drilling holes in the oil ring slot) to
reduce oil consumption.

I will have to weigh the options (time, money, tools, etc) on a rebuild, but will consider it significantly.

Could the front and rear seals be replaced with block in compartment?

To be continued....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
actionstan
actionstan is on a distinguished road

Would it not be cheaper/easier to buy a already rebuilt head from one of those sellers on ebay? or is that not a good idea?

I found this pretty quickly..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATURN-1-9-S...8b987e&vxp=mtr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to actionstan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help actionstan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
actionstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The quality of eBay rebuilt heads is poor*. If you can not get one rebuilt locally you will be better off just buying a decent looking used head from a good J/Y.

* poor = incorrect assembly and very high failure rate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
SL19302
SL19302 is a jewel in the roughSL19302 is a jewel in the roughSL19302 is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

I would take the current head that was on the car to your local machine shop and let them service it right there in your home town, Buying parts online is a crap shoot especially one that requires dismantling half the engine to replace, If the Ebay head has a problem youll have to do the job all over again its not worth the risk, Just get yours repaired.

2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 159K
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 87K

The ECTS Sensor may be the most important sensor on a Saturn 1.9.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
jasenpeters

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Not to worry y'all.
I brought it to a local shop on Thurs. It should be ready next week.

BTW, I got the Fel-Pro gasket set for about $180.00. Too late now, but is that reasonable ?
Gasket kit includes: Head, Valve, manifolds, egr, water pump, etc. the whole shebang

Timing chain questions coming soon....

1996 SC2, Manual
160k, 36mpg Hwy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Basically that sounds OK. RockAuto is pretty much the general benchmark on prices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Is the machine shop doing anything to the other half of the head? It might be a good idea to replace/rebuild the lifters, new cam bearings and possibly swap in an intake cam in place of the old exhaust one while they are in there. Just food for thought....

-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 250,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacemanspif's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacemanspif reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote