SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #1
buCKshoTZ
buCKshoTZ has a spectacular aura aboutbuCKshoTZ has a spectacular aura about

2009 AURA XE
Default Anti-Theft Problem (No key fob)

Hey folks, I am a new owner of a 2009 Saturn Aura XE. I fell in love with this car the moment i saw it! I do not understand why they quit making them! I dont know too much about saturns, but i do work at a toyota plant here in kentucky. I got this car used this monday, it has 90k miles on it from a dealership who helps ppl who have had credit problems in the past to renew there credit.

I was showing the car to my brother earlier tonight, i drove him around the corner and back in it and then we sat and looked at how gorgeously designed the inside of these cars actually are. I was showing him the manual shift paddles on the steering wheel while the car was parked and on in the Manual position, and then he asked about my steering wheel at this time I proceeded to telescope the steering wheel up and down, and to and from. then the "its too cold, we can look more tomorrow in the daylight" came up and i turned the ignition off. not remembering which interior lights I turned on I then attempted to turn my ignition back on of which i attempted to start the car back up. It would not start. after a few turns i noticed there was an icon on my dash on that stayed on after they all blinked for a second or 2. its the one with a car and a lock to the right of it. I looked in the manual and it says its the anti-theft icon. but it only says how to disable this with a key fob. I have no key fob. I only received one key with the car from the dealership! I wonder if i did this by telescoping the steering wheel in and out? if I did, how on earth do I disable it? any help would be much appreciated as I really need to get my car started so i can get to places I need to go. its a bumer that its sunday and the dealership is closed

Thanks! Bobby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buCKshoTZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buCKshoTZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buCKshoTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Anti-Theft Problem (No key fob)

id buy a key fob. sounds like that would fix the problem and you need them to do anything on tpms. also get another key. you can program your new key in less than 10 seconds easily yourself. see manual. aura was or is a great car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

if it was easy to defeat anti-theft systems, what would be the point?

for whatever reason, that key is not being recognized as a programmed key. you'll need the dealer to sort this out. you did not cause this issue & you can't fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
buCKshoTZ

2009 AURA XE

Thanks for the responses guys! I tried turning the key to accessory for 10 minutes 2 times and it did not work. after the 2nd 10 minute wait it had ran my battery all the way down. at this time my car was flashing "Service ESC" "Service Traction" "Service Airbag" with each of them showing there respective icons. I thought goodness ive bought a melon. but, i attempted to turn the key one more time and i heard the starter clicking. dealing with the ancient cars and engines that ive driven and worked on my whole life, the cars that dont have much computer to them, i know this means its trying to crank. I go in for about an hour and came out to let my brother jump start my battery to possibly see if that was the problem. and sure enough it started and all of the warning lights went out.

I have no clue if the second time that I put my key into the accessory position for 10 minutes fixed it or not. or if the battery just clicked and caused the computer to think it was being stolen, I dont know hopefully someone here can shed some light for me about what happened here because i dont want it to happen again! I cant afford to miss work because my car doesnt start. Heck, thats the reason I traded my old clunker of a 96 chevy beretta in for t his one so I would not have to worry about emptying my bank acount every other week to fix a problem with it.

I drove the aura to advanced auto parts to get the battery checked on it and the guy said that the battery levels were fine and that it was charging at the normal rate it was suppose to but it told him it was bad. He said that it was most likely due to the fact that the battery had died and it was jumped off, and I had not drove it long enough for it to reach a full charge which resulted in the test giving a false "bad battery" reading! If anyone knows how to read the sheets it prints off I can post it on here. He also said that he has saw in the past where these fairly newer cars theft system will lock the car up when the battery begins to get bad. I dunno!

Thanks again for all and any help you guys provide! I plan to keep this car and I will be a returning member on these forums for a while bc I just like to try and fix things on my car if I can rather than pay a hefty bill at the mechanic.

Also, I do think that if its not the battery or even if it is. its a good idea for me to consider buying a key fob for this car and programming it to it so that I dont have to deal with the anti-theft stuff anymore. I assume with a key fob i can just hit the lock and unlock key to ge it out of anti-theft mode. I only have the valai key for it and one at that! sorry this was so long!

Bobby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help buCKshoTZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't think anyone has tried to explain to you that your Aura has two parts, an alarm and theft deterrent system. Review your owner's manual carefully for the alarm using the remotes and your ignition key containing the better rfid chip in the key to prevent theft. The remote is for bells and whistles while your ignition Passkey is to prevent driving your car away. The security indicator is enabled with the key to disable starting the engine; inserting the key into the ignition switch disables theft deterrent, removing it enables it - anyone trying to use any key without the rfid chip pre-programmed into your bcm won't allow starting/driving the car.

The security light/lock out from starting may been have triggered with a dead battery, not because the battery is dead but because of low voltage. Since most cars use more electronics, batteries are important as the only main power source before the engine is running to allow the alternator to carry the load of supplying the car of all its electrical needs while slow charging the battery from each start. A discharged battery in good condition will only need about 45 minutes or more of driving to recharge it back to operating condition. The best battery chargers are the slow inexpensive ones that slow charge over night without ever over charging.

It would help if you know whether your battery is original or a replacement and either needs replacement or a full charge. Most older OEM/factory batteries were 5/6yr warranted items while cutting costs reduced new car battery warranties to 3yrs. Either you're on your original battery and is long overdue for replacement or is now borderline and should be determined whether or not it will work thru the winter. Very few car owners have batteries last beyond their expected warranty. A 5yr warranted battery usually croaks after 5 or maybe 6 years so no one should expect more.

Buying a spare (rfid chip) ignition key (marked as PK-III stamped on the metal portion) is all that's needed unless you want remotes to arm/disarm the alarm system (horns and lights).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
buCKshoTZ

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I don't think anyone has tried to explain to you that your Aura has two parts, an alarm and theft deterrent system. Review your owner's manual carefully for the alarm using the remotes and your ignition key containing the better rfid chip in the key to prevent theft. The remote is for bells and whistles while your ignition Passkey is to prevent driving your car away. The security indicator is enabled with the key to disable starting the engine; inserting the key into the ignition switch disables theft deterrent, removing it enables it - anyone trying to use any key without the rfid chip pre-programmed into your bcm won't allow starting/driving the car.

The security light/lock out from starting may been have triggered with a dead battery, not because the battery is dead but because of low voltage. Since most cars use more electronics, batteries are important as the only main power source before the engine is running to allow the alternator to carry the load of supplying the car of all its electrical needs while slow charging the battery from each start. A discharged battery in good condition will only need about 45 minutes or more of driving to recharge it back to operating condition. The best battery chargers are the slow inexpensive ones that slow charge over night without ever over charging.

It would help if you know whether your battery is original or a replacement and either needs replacement or a full charge. Most older OEM/factory batteries were 5/6yr warranted items while cutting costs reduced new car battery warranties to 3yrs. Either you're on your original battery and is long overdue for replacement or is now borderline and should be determined whether or not it will work thru the winter. Very few car owners have batteries last beyond their expected warranty. A 5yr warranted battery usually croaks after 5 or maybe 6 years so no one should expect more.

Buying a spare (rfid chip) ignition key (marked as PK-III stamped on the metal portion) is all that's needed unless you want remotes to arm/disarm the alarm system (horns and lights).
Very good explanation of how that all works! Thank you so much! I guess I just dont understand all of this new computer stuff on these new cars! So, im almost certain at this point that the battery triggered the anti-theft system. It was so random though.

I received an email from mycarfax.com to start a beta test for it. I logged in, put in my cars vin # and it showed a service history where the car received a replacement battery on 10/12/2009 at 9,773 miles, it seems it was replaced by the dealership that sold the car, its an AC Delco battery of which the guy at advanced said he thought it was from the dealership that sold the car originally. That is all it shows. this isnt an actual carfax. its just for keeping up with my cars maintenance and such.

the battery test I had done at advanced returned these results

REPLACE BATTERY
Voltage: 12.96V
Measured: 469 CCA
Rated: 660 CCA
Temperature: 40 degrees

This was after the battery died and jumped it off about 15 mins after i took it to advanced which is only about 5 mins up the rd. I unerstand that it can take a battery up to 45 mins to recharge back to its max!

Another quick question.. My DIC shows the temperature outside and the mileage. I looked up the stock details of what the XE came with. Is the fully customizable dic only available as an option? I do have the Info and reset buttons under the res and set buttons on my steering wheel for my cruise control. I have read the manual several times on this but I cannot get it to toggle between the different settings. could my buttons be bad? or is it possible that this car ONLY displays the temp outside and the mileage? Thanks!

I know im asking alot of questions. I just got this car last monday and I am curious to know things about it. I have been reading the manual on the DIC and other things but the instructions inside the manual dont work for me. holding the info an reset button for 1 second doesnt display the customization menu for the DIC! and i did a search for it on these forums and didnt get good results back!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I can't answer the DIC questions - I don't have info and refer to the owner's manual for specific info like your Passkey rfid ignition key. Older Saturns like my L300 use Passlock, without rfid.

With your battery, its important to know its warranty. If your manual doesn't spell it out, the numbers on the battery contain (secret) manufacturer date easily decoded by Googling for info to find out how long the warranty lasts. The 45 minute drive doesn't guarantee a 100% battery charge and is used as a baseline as it depends on how far the battery was discharged and capable of recharging or if its worn out and not capable of holding a charge. Once you have your car running you can either try battery testing again to know if its charged and not require replacement or decide on a replacement. Installed 10/09 makes this battery 4yrs old - either its a 3yr or 5yr battery. Check for AC Delco warranties for battery model. If you live in winter regions, its important to know battery life (you don't want to be caught with a dead/worn out battery in freezing weather) otherwise in warm areas of the country you have time to decide if a battery will last another year or more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Given it's apparent age, I wouldn't hesitate to replace that battery. Pre computer-controlled cars were much more forgiving of aging batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buCKshoTZ View Post
My DIC shows the temperature outside and the mileage. I looked up the stock details of what the XE came with. Is the fully customizable dic only available as an option? I do have the Info and reset buttons under the res and set buttons on my steering wheel for my cruise control. I have read the manual several times on this but I cannot get it to toggle between the different settings. could my buttons be bad? or is it possible that this car ONLY displays the temp outside and the mileage?
No, it was not optional. There's a good chance of that being a bad button contact in the button assy. It's relatively easy to replace. Used part usually available on ebay.

Did you not get any warranty from the selling dealer to correct this stuff?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #9
buCKshoTZ

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Given it's apparent age, I wouldn't hesitate to replace that battery. Pre computer-controlled cars were much more forgiving of aging batteries.
You got that right greenman! I come from a line of a family that drag races. Being that the trade died with my father I know more about your old school barebone engine blocks. Ive not really dealt with these new vehicles too much. But we just bought a house....with a garage so, im open to learning about the modern day computer ran Vehicles

Quote:
No, it was not optional. There's a good chance of that being a bad button contact in the button assy. It's relatively easy to replace. Used part usually available on ebay.
Could I possibly take it off and use some aluminum foil until I am able to purchase one off ebay? The cruise control buttons work perfectly fine that are above it, just those 2 buttons dont seem to work. My car was showing the "Service ESC" and "Service Traction" warnings today and the reset button did agknowledge when i hit it. or i think it did. I heard a couple dings when i would hit it. Not sure if that was from hitting the button or not. Money is tight for now. especially it being the holidays on top of down payments on a house and this car. Im unable to afford some things until possibly after the new year. But I will take a look at them if its not too expensive i may splurge on it. But if the aluminum foil thing works. do you know of a good place I can find a mechanics guide for this year car saturn that would expain it and possibly other things? I dont want to fool around and lock up my anti-theft system by tampering with my steering wheel. That would suck to have to deal with that again!

Quote:
Did you not get any warranty from the selling dealer to correct this stuff?
I did, I got a 24 month, 24,000 mile powertrain warranty. High Tech Warranty 0-100,000 ; Standard Warranty 100,001-175,000 miles. The car has 90,300 miles on it right now. Would this fall into this type of warranty? I have the contract in hand but to be honest right now its a little bit jibberish to me!

I will post some pics of my car on here somewhere for you guys to take a look at!

Last edited by buCKshoTZ; 11-26-2013 at 04:53 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
do you know of a good place I can find a mechanics guide for this year car saturn that would expain it and possibly other things?
best of course is the Helm manual (aka the GMSI). not cheap but worth it's weight in gold. a Chilton's for the Pontiac G6 or Haynes for the Malibu Gen 7 (sister cars-largely identical) are worth having.

Quote:
I did, I got a 24 month, 24,000 mile powertrain warranty. High Tech Warranty 0-100,000 ; Standard Warranty 100,001-175,000 miles. The car has 90,300 miles on it right now. Would this fall into this type of warranty? I have the contract in hand but to be honest right now its a little bit jibberish to me!
can't help u with that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #11
buCKshoTZ

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
best of course is the Helm manual (aka the GMSI). not cheap but worth it's weight in gold. a Chilton's for the Pontiac G6 or Haynes for the Malibu Gen 7 (sister cars-largely identical) are worth having.

can't help u with that.
All good, I was looking at the pontiac G6 book in advanced auto the other day and noticed there wasnt much alike! im sure in alot of ways they are similiar and I may go ahead adn purchase it when i get some extra money aside.

What are the chances there will be a haynes manual out anytime in the future? ive always heard it takes them about 5 years to get one out on a car. Its possible there wont even be one! I got a guy to email me a shop repair manual. to be honest... its very hard to find things in it! lol. those pdf versions of them need to be interactive!

Anyways, Thanks for the help you all have provided!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you're unable to find pirated cd/dvd's service manuals, the next best alternative would be subscribing to alldata.diy unless your local library has free access.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
buCKshoTZ

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you're unable to find pirated cd/dvd's service manuals, the next best alternative would be subscribing to alldata.diy unless your local library has free access.
hmm, I guess I could search online for a dvd! I have heard of the repair dvds but not really put much thought into it! do you happen to have a link to where I could find the Dvd?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Even though I'm not a DIYer, I've had the Helm site bookmarked for years. Thought I'd share for those who might be looking.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...ected%5Fmedia=

http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_...asp?Style=helm

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
... I was looking at the pontiac G6 book in advanced auto the other day and noticed there wasnt much alike! .
under the hood they are mostly identical. exact same engines.

Quote:
What are the chances there will be a haynes manual out anytime in the future?
about zero. they didn't sell enough auras.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!