SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
rocket321
rocket321 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Shifter linkage clip?

Last night drove home without issues. Got home about to park and reverse is now 4th??? The whole shifting pattern seemed to shift to the right. The shifter now extends further right then it used too and does not go as far left as before. I have the part diagram I lifted from Oldnuc for both shifter links and clips. I'm guessing one of the clips popped off and if it did is there a generic part I can grab off the shelves somewhere?

I was really hoping it was the shifter bushing, but you know... since I have the bushing on hand that I bought over a year ago for the just in case scenarios...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rocket321's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rocket321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rocket321 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Shifter linkage clip?

Open it up and have a look under there and see what happened.

Replacement blend door actuator gears available! $20 shipped.

Garage:
1998 SL2 Auto - 206k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 132k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 100k
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300D turbodiesel - 143k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
rocket321

2000 SL2
2002 VUE 2.2L

Did some investigating. The shift tower looked to be in good shape. Also both clips are still in place. Not knowing what to do next, I went to the junk yard to grab a shifter cable housing(?) that sits on top of the trans. Thought maybe something internally was damaged. Got home and did a side by side comparison(while the bad part was still installed on my car). Something didn't look right. Took me few seconds to figure it out.

Close up of first photo.

Haven't installed it yet for a couple different reasons, one of them being questions I have.

What is the torque on the four bolts that hold it in place?

Some crud got inside on removal. Can I spray the inside with brake clean or rinse it with ATF?

If this happens to someone else and you need reverse, it's feasible to put the arm in the correct position by removing the clip for the cable connected to that arm, removing the cable and working the arm into the track again. Be prepared to be thoroughly frustrated because it might pop out one or more times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rocket321 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Vacuum out the dirt and in the future remove dirt before removing part. You will need a new paper gasket so make one out of a big paper grocery bag. Torque is 18-20 ft-lb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If you got a bunch of dirt in there then flush it down with ATF and change fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
rocket321

2000 SL2
2002 VUE 2.2L

Ha! OldNuc you answered one of the more important questions I forgot to ask.
I'll be paper bagging it! Also I was thinking of going ahead and changing out the trans fluid when done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I would pour a quart over the parts you can see through the hole and then change fluid to get the dirt out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!