SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #1
Lightfoot2002
Lightfoot2002 has a spectacular aura aboutLightfoot2002 has a spectacular aura about

Default A/C woes

Hello All. My a/c is blowing out air that is not very cold at all. The compressor is working fine. My auto parts store is selling A/C Pro charging canisters for about 45 bucks each. Has anyone out there used this product? Is there anything dangerous or potential damage to be made aware of if I use this DIY product? Is the gauge accurate enough so it won't put to much gas into my a/c system and destroy it? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lightfoot2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lightfoot2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lightfoot2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C woes

Update your profile otherwise repeat in every post year and model.

Was this system ever "topped off" and was sealer used? Sealer is simply a band aid and can do more harm than good. Read the labeling on any refill can. Does it have a refund policy if it doesn't work? If you want to see the results of sealer doing irreparable damage, search in ackits.com for sealer damage - all the pictures to demonstrate what goes on behind repairs in a can.

To make proper repairs, buy an inexpensive uv blacklight and use it. A uv light is forever and can find leaks in any vehicle having dye. All Saturns with r134a systems have dye that leaks out with refrigerant and oil. Refrigerant evaporates but dye and oil leave markers. Dye glows under uv light and shining a uv light over, under and around the entire a/c system under the hood should reveal where the leak occurred. Take off one or both service valve caps off to see what dye looks like under uv light. Find and fix the leak to restore full a/c function instead of "topping off" and/or use sealer. Sealer is basically the most expensive repair you'll regret if you use it and find out later the system is completely trashed. One member did and reported the mess with a complete rebuild. He hasn't replied in some years with how the rebuild went.... Your choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

If the system is producing cold air, but it's not keeping up,
here is a shade tree mechanic's way of fixing...

Add a can of PAG oil, it is actually 1 ounce oil, one ounce R134a, and one ounce "performance enhancers".
Do this only once in the life of the car, the system will drown!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PAG-100-wi...harge/16888788

You will need a set of can taps to add, they are $20 or a six pack of favorite beverage for a friend...

Also, check the Schrader valves, the ports you add freon, for leakage with soapy water. Known failure point...

Done this to several teenaged (or older) cars, with good results every time...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

Last edited by mattwithcats; 07-06-2016 at 12:12 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post
Also, check the Schrader valves, the ports you add freon, for leakage with soapy water. Known failure point...
I just went through this, as documented in the "what did you do to your Saturn today" thread

I had just rinsed off the evaporator the year or two earlier, so I know it was not blocked airflow there.

I had some cooling at hwy speeds, but not much. The Schrader valve let some, but not all, of the Freon escape. With the dust cover over the valve, it held the Freon well enough that the AC was fine after a charge for my tool to arrive.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote