SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member
aaron95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Replace window motor

Over the course of the last year, my driver door window has been getting more and more stubborn. It moves less and less each time, followed by a minute or so of nothing. So you wait, then hit the switch again and it moves a little more.

I've ruled out the switch by bypassing the switch and feeding it power directly. Same result. Once it stops and decides not to move for a while, when you give it power, you hear something click in the motor. It's obvious the motor is getting power, it just doesn't want to go anymore.

The current motor/regulator setup is used out of a donor car. Two years ago the original died this same way. So I want to sacrifice some wallet padding and buy a new one. (Unless anyone knows something I don't here, but it sure seems like the motor is just done. I know switch failure is common, but as I said I bypassed the switch and fed it power directly with the same result.)

My question is, I can only find stand alone motors on the FLAPS websites. I didn't think you could swap only the motor, I thought you had to swap the whole regulator. The motor is riveted to the regulator with some serious fasteners - I tried drilling them out on the old regulator with no success and many broken drill bits. How the hell would one remove and re-install ONLY a motor?

1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaron95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaron95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaron95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
GeekOnTheHill
GeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Replace window motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron95sl2 View Post
Over the course of the last year, my driver door window has been getting more and more stubborn. It moves less and less each time, followed by a minute or so of nothing. So you wait, then hit the switch again and it moves a little more.

I've ruled out the switch by bypassing the switch and feeding it power directly. Same result. Once it stops and decides not to move for a while, when you give it power, you hear something click in the motor. It's obvious the motor is getting power, it just doesn't want to go anymore.

The current motor/regulator setup is used out of a donor car. Two years ago the original died this same way. So I want to sacrifice some wallet padding and buy a new one. (Unless anyone knows something I don't here, but it sure seems like the motor is just done. I know switch failure is common, but as I said I bypassed the switch and fed it power directly with the same result.)

My question is, I can only find stand alone motors on the FLAPS websites. I didn't think you could swap only the motor, I thought you had to swap the whole regulator. The motor is riveted to the regulator with some serious fasteners - I tried drilling them out on the old regulator with no success and many broken drill bits. How the hell would one remove and re-install ONLY a motor?
That I don't know, not having had that pleasure yet.

However, have you tried the simple things like lubrication and tapping the motor gently with a tack hammer (or something along those lines)? I've found that sometimes, accumulated crud gets in there, and tapping it dislodges it. Contact cleaner has also been known to resurrect power window motors and switches, if you can figure out where it needs to go and can get it there.

None of this is Saturn-specific, mind you. I've never had to replace a Saturn window motor, so maybe it doesn't apply here. But in general, cleaning and lube have been known to do wonders on power window systems.

-Richard

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GeekOnTheHill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GeekOnTheHill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GeekOnTheHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I do not think new ones exist. If you saved the last one it is remotely possible to disassemble the motor and overhaul it as long as the windings are still good. The secret to these power windows is to spring for the proper lubricant and lube the slider track and pivots.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOnTheHill View Post
However, have you tried the simple things like lubrication and tapping the motor gently with a tack hammer (or something along those lines)? I've found that sometimes, accumulated crud gets in there, and tapping it dislodges it. Contact cleaner has also been known to resurrect power window motors and switches, if you can figure out where it needs to go and can get it there.
That's a good idea. I haven't had the door skin off yet to mess with it, I was just narrowing down the issue. The switches are famous for getting gunked up and failing, so that's why I ruled it out. The new motors at my FLAPS are only $40, and I don't mind paying that for the peace of mind knowing that if I roll down my window at the drive through when it's 10 degrees outside, the ******* is going to go back up when I leave!

But coercing it to keep living for a while longer wouldn't be a bad idea.

1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help aaron95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

^^
Presumably you have already ruled out the window glass guides themselves aren't the trouble...like dragging or binding the glass in the channel on its way up or down? If you rule out any drag, then i'd deal with replacing the whole regulator. Amazon has a regulator & motor assembly for under $64.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
^^
Presumably you have already ruled out the window glass guides themselves aren't the trouble...like dragging or binding the glass in the channel on its way up or down? If you rule out any drag, then i'd deal with replacing the whole regulator. Amazon has a regulator & motor assembly for under $64.
Yes Amazon and eBay both do, for 1996+. Will that work in a 1995? Also, as I've said, I haven't had the door skin off yet. I did brakes and a radiator hose today, that was enough! When i put the current used regulator in two years ago, I went hog wild with the lithium grease. BUT, that isn't to say something isn't loose or gummed up or whatever. Next chance I get, I'll look into it.

I was just asking about the motor to be prepared to replace it if need be. I don't mind buying a new motor if necessary, but how the hell do you install it?

Last edited by aaron95sl2; 11-21-2013 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: Forgot something

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Lithium chassis grease is not what you want to use on plastic and rubber parts. Syl-Glide is your low cost best choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

i would be taking a hard look at the window chanel run.. if you have changed a regulator 1 time pull it out.. push the glass up from open there should be little to no resistance..look at the chanel felts/rubbers there should be no deformaties in any section of it.. if it is stiff look at the ft and rear chnnel gude runs insidr the door follow the mounting bracket to the inside of the door skin.. around that aera there will be a 10mm bolt.loosen it just enough to push the trak with hand pressure..moveing the runns to the door latch/hinges is loose..tword the center of the door is tight... almost all gm window moters have a ctkbraker built into the moter and overtemp due to high amps makes it cut out...hth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

^^ Good advice ^^

With any power window it's easy to neglect the not so obvious, in this case the resistance of the channel itself. With crank windows you notice as things dry out and get tighter, with power windows you don't.

My crank windows could probably use an adjustment on the drivers side soon, and need some lube now. I've found that silicone spray works excellent on lubing them up, and it lasts a good long time. A few squirts of the spray, cycle them up and down a few times, then clean any excess off the window.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Excellent advice, guys. I'll report back when I get a chance to take the door skin off. Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Door skin off. Lithium grease damn near rock hard. Insert string of expletives here.

What to use to remove this crap so I can lube her up with some synthetic cold-weather friendly slippy slime?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Brake cleaner and a rag. Spray rag and wipe. Big hair dryer to warm all the plastic up so it does not break helps as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

And use Sil-Glyde to relube everything?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Well I decided to pull the motor out of the worm drive to clean and lube the worm gear. Indeed, there was some hardened lithium grease in there that needed to be removed, so it was a good idea. However, upon pulling the motor out, I discovered the square solid brass contacts that push up against the spinning part of the motor to supply it with electricity were broken into several pieces and simply fell right out! No wonder my motor was weak and didn't want to try very hard, especially with the hardened lithium grease.

So, a new motor is definitely in order. I ordered a Cardone reman unit from eBay. I know, I know - EBAY?!? But in the pics the motor had the NAPA auto parts sticker on it, so I trust it's a decent part from a reputable source, and the seller had good ratings. And it was half the price that NAPA had listed on their website.

So some Sil-Glyde (right?) and a new motor in the next couple days, and we'll see how she levitates! Until then, I'll have to drive my Suburban to get espresso from the bikini baristas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

New motor in, Syl-glide plastered everywhere, and she goes up and down without a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Did you replace only the motor? If so, was it indeed riveted in place. I'm having the same issue with my driver's window and will likely want to fix it in the spring.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
301k 12/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

The motor (or more specifically, the worm gear box) is indeed riveted to the regulator assembly. I've tried previously to drill out those rivets, leaving me with many broken drill bits. So I removed the four allen/torx (depending on year) screws that hold the actual outer motor shell to the gearbox. Once apart, I used the parts from the new (remanufactured) motor to replace the little plastic ring that contains the brass contacts and electrical connector, the motor itself (containing the windings and screw gear), and the motor shell. The hard part is pushing those little spring-loaded brass contacts back to insert the motor in.

I wish I had made a video like RichPin to show everyone; it's very lengthy to explain in writing. But feel free to ask anything else, and I'll do my best to explain! If you're in the middle of the project and need a quick answer, email me. I get my email instantly, but I only check these forums occasionally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

I bought just the motor off Amazon, and it came with the bolts necessary to replace the rivets.

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #19
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Thanks to both of you for the explanation, which I understand. Almost convinces me to spend the extra $60 to buy the motor/regulator assembly. Maybe I'll take the easy way out.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
301k 12/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #20
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydriver View Post
I bought just the motor off Amazon, and it came with the bolts necessary to replace the rivets.
The motor i bought did, as well. I tried and tried to drill out the rivets previously. All I got out of it were a few broken drill bits. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!