SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Cougarstang
Cougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default Lube type for squeaky clutch/brake pedals

After doing some research on the squeaky clutch and brake pedal issues, it seems like some folks were able to alleviate the clutch problem with some well-placed spray lubrication. Which is the best type to use? Some used white lithium grease, others used a penetrating solvent like pb blaster. Is there any particular type of lubricant that's the best for a situation like this (like silicon or teflon spray)?

I would imagine this question can be applied to the squeaky brake pedal problem as well.

My ride: 2002 Ford Mustang GT, 4.6L v8, 5-speed manual
Wife's ride: 2006 Saturn ION 2, 5 speed manual
Gone but not forgotten: 2000 Saturn SL1, auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cougarstang's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cougarstang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cougarstang is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Lube type for squeaky clutch/brake pedals

probably white lithium grease, I wouldn't use Pblaster, it's much more aggressive in attacking non compatible materials, like plastics. in case you didn't notice, these cars use a lot of plastics/rubbers in the pedal areas.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
peepsion
peepsion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

White lithium grease is what I use to stop the squeaking from my clutch and brake pedals in the winter. I buy white lithium grease in a spray can and it works like a charm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peepsion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peepsion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peepsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
phreich
phreich is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

+1 for spray white lithium grease.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phreich's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phreich reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
phreich
phreich is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
probably white lithium grease, I wouldn't use Pblaster, it's much more aggressive in attacking non compatible materials, like plastics. in case you didn't notice, these cars use a lot of plastics/rubbers in the pedal areas.
Yeah, I was kinda floored when I discovered that the entire clutch pedal was made of some kind of composite plastic. Call me old-fashioned or an old-fart, but I'm used to the pedals being made of steel with a nylon or teflon pivot insert bushing and rubber pads on the bottom. Well it makes sense -- most of the exterior of the Ion is also plastic panels (everything but the roof and hood IIRC). I guess it all reduces weight and adds to the fuel economy and overall performance.

Philip

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phreich's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phreich reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Cougarstang
Cougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pick up a can of spray white lithium

I wish there were some way to get the red mobil 1 synthetic grease up there. This stuff is fantastic.

My ride: 2002 Ford Mustang GT, 4.6L v8, 5-speed manual
Wife's ride: 2006 Saturn ION 2, 5 speed manual
Gone but not forgotten: 2000 Saturn SL1, auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cougarstang's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cougarstang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cougarstang is offline   Reply With Quote