SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
warlik50
warlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default 2001 L300 Trouble Codes - P0301, P0313

2001 L300 V6 3.0L

I recently changed the engine air filter, passenger compartment air filter, and even all 6 spark plugs with their OE replacements.

I have two codes P0301 and P0313, both of which after clearing would come back IF I would accelerate hard.

I'm not yet sure if they would come back on their own without a hard acceleration. I cleared the codes after replacing the spark plugs, proceeded to test if the codes were "fully gone" but came back after the hard acceleration test.

P0313 seems to be misfires because of/or related to lack of fuel.

My car's tank was almost empty as the fuel light was on during this test.

What are some of the possibilities of going about resolving this codes so they don't come back?

When the funds are available I will try replacing the fuel filter, but should I consider fuel injector cleaners. Or maybe is the issue as simple as stop driving almost on empty?

"Knowledge is my soup, the internet; my straw."
"So you drink soup with a straw, eh?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to warlik50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help warlik50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
warlik50 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 L300 Trouble Codes - P0301, P0313

1-Stop manually resetting the check engine light. All OBD II systems will detect errors and repairs on its own without human intervention and automatically turn off the CEL. Manual resets forces all emissions self tests to start from the beginning instead of where it halted on its last detected error, prolonging emissions testing every time a manual reset is made. If a state emissions inspection is due, this car will not pass; while the CEL light is off, emissions self tests require driving up to 50 miles in all traffic conditions before the internal monitors are satisfied - nothing is displayed unless a reader is plugged in to display monitors 'READY' or 'NOT READY'. Several days of driving may be needed before emissions testing are completed.

2-DTC P0313 will set when a misfire has been detected along with the following events:

Condition exists for longer than 30 seconds.
Fuel tank contains less than 2.9 gallons of fuel.

If you resist the temptation to drive at wide open throttle, fill the tank above minimum and allow a few days of everyday driving, the two errors may go away on their own. Resetting forces the entire EFI system to relearn all new fuel trims while testing emissions and adjusting xmission shift points. Misfiring can be expected until the EFI system learns to customize fuel mixtures for this engine, taking as little as a single drive to work lasting a minimum of 20 minutes. Other parameters may take more mileage of mixed driving.

3-Save your money on fuel cleaners. Wash your hands with gasoline some day when they're greasy. You may be surprised at how effective gasoline is as a solvent without magic stuff from bottle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
warlik50
warlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Wow tons of useful information!

I will stop resetting the code as you suggested (I borrowed one from my friend and didn't know resetting it would also make the tests have to start all over again)

Not going to wash my hands with any gasoline but I will avoid the fuel cleaner things and try to fill the car up and just drive "normally" aka not flooring it haha.

Lastly, do you think the misfirings as occurring due to a messed up fuel trim?

I have a feeling your going to say no way to know for sure until at the 50 miles of normal driving-mark.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help warlik50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oh I just reread your post and I answered my own question. I guess I will report back after 50 miles/or next week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Possibly another important factor (we'll see)

Could a missing bolt be a suspect to the misfiring?

I ended up losing (stupidly) one of the three torx bolts that hold down the front intake manifold and also I have not yet bothered to reinsert the 10mm hex bolt that goes (underneath) the rear intake manifold.

Could this in anyway be affecting the control module (not sure if its called the ecm or bcm or whatever) that is mounted on the rear intake manifold? The four bolts that hold that down are on and securely fastened. Again the only two bolts not secured are a torx bolt for the front (not a likely suspect) and the 10mm hex bolt for the rear intake runner (possibly causing a computer issue?

I lost the torx bolt but I have the 10mm in my trunk (just been a little lazy to reinsert it because it was a huge pain to remove it, so if I need to access the coil packs I didn't want to have to deal with that again)

Thoughts, opinions ideas etc... all welcome!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You can try replacing lost bolts by; ordering exact replacements from GM locally, use any GM online sources, junk yards, ebay, or substitute Torx bolts with plain hex head bolts. All you need is another bolt of the same dimensions for show and tell to present to local GM or auto parts clerk. If you can, figure out the exact metric thread and length for more accuracy.

When removing parts on engines, its always wise to be cautious as much as possible to account for hardware, O-rings, gaskets, fittings, pressure, etc.. No one can tell you if missing hardware is contributing to issues as no one is standing where you are to see possibilities of vacuum leaks. What you can do is use a water spray on the areas where bolts are missing and anywhere else you might suspect of vacuum leaks while the engine is idling. An immediate change in rpm during water spray to cause vacuum leaks drawing in water would indicate a leak. A Windex bottle filled with water sprayed onto engine parts suspected of vacuum leaks is a perfect tool.

The ecm is the part over the right rear part of the engine. The bcm is on top of the glove box. Electrical ground doesn't necessarily mean wires as securing electronics using fasteners means the same as long as a broad perspective is used relative to electrical/electronic grounds; in addition to ground wires of various gauges from the thick battery negative cable to thin black wires, engine parts bolted together provide a metallic/physical grounding that eventually grounds the starter, ecm, and a/c compressor - all are grounded thru physical connection along with a ground wire from the battery to the engine block. Separate ground wires for alternators or starters isn't necessary since they're already bolted to the engine. Switching 12v positive is all that's necessary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok sounds like I have some testing to do tomorrow.

BTW the P0313 is gone since I have filled up the tank with 7 gallons, however the P0301 #1 cylinder misfire is back.

My dad mentioned that spraying vacuum leaks with water would draw it into the cylinder, is this true and would it be something to avoid doing?

Also, are the coil packs from the front and rear intakes interchangeable?

If I wanted to determine whether the pack is at fault, would I be able to switch the front with the rear, reassemble everything and then run the car to see if the misfire moved cylinders? Or is the front coil pack a "front only" and the rear a "rear only" pack?

Last question, what cylinder is cylinder #1? I'm fairly certain it is one of the three cylinders closest to the firewall of the car, but I can't confirm whether or not its the one closer to the driver or passenger side. Knowing which cylinder is which could help me better isolate where the problem is if its just a vacuum leak problem.

Extra information: I've put 55 miles onto the car, unfortunately I think the car has gotten a little worse. I've started noticing misfires under moderate accelerate when getting onto the highway and a still not so happy rough idle.

Should the fuel trims have reset by this time, or was it supposed to be 50 miles in all driving conditions, meaning closer to 150 or 200 miles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Coil packs are not interchangeable. Once coil packs and plugs are removed (presuming at 100k miles), it may help to perform a compression test due to the many parts needed to be removed to perform something so simple with other car engines with easier access. Compression testing gives you an indication of the mechanical state of health - 180 psi is minimum compression with less than 5% or 10% variance among cylinders. A dry test followed with a wet (tablespoon of oil into each cyl) test if compression is below 180 to determine ring from valve wear. Measuring coil pack resistance may help isolate a faulty individual coil.

Injector resistance = 14-23 ohms.
Coil Pack Secondary Resistance = 8 to 15 K ohms.
Wire Positioning on Coils - 1,3,5 2,4,6.

The engine has two cylinder heads identified as the front bank (cylinders 2, 4, 6) and the rear bank (cylinders 1, 3, 5). Passenger side to driver side. P0301 is for cyl #1, passenger side, rear bank by firewall. Fuel trims should already be set but without a reader or can tool, its guessing. In general, the engine and xmission running normal with the exception of misfiring in one cylinder means the drive cycle is more or less completed. The misfire error halts any further emissions testing until its corrected with whatever repairs are necessary. As soon as a repair is successful, the next engine start will have the OBD II diagnostic recognize no more misfiring and simply turn off the engine light and continue with emissions testing as you're driving. Only a scan tool will display whether or not all emissions tests are completed otherwise as long as the check engine light is OFF, the car has passed emissions self tests.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coil pack.jpg (180.7 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Good morning to you and thanks as always (although I'm sure you here that all the time so I guess that goes without saying right?)

Newbie question here, assuming I have the front/rear spark plugs exposed to examine the coil packs, (using a multimeter I assume) how do I go about testing the resistance of the coil packs. Like what areas would I touch in order to test this?

Likewise, where is the injector? Someone inside the cylinder I assume? and also what would I "touch" on it to test for resistance.

If resistance is above spec does that mean that either coil or injector is due for replacement respectively?

What about if below spec?

I hope your head hasn't exploded yet from my lame questions.

Lastly, (we can only hope) what tools would I need to perform a compression check?

If I have to dig out that rear coil pack I better be able to perform a lot of testing, that thing is a major PITA, but having the experience of already doing it once and making it nice and shiny, I'm sure it won't be that hard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Familiarity with electrical and electronic components are needed to understand why resistance measurements help determine faults. Coil resistance is relative; primary coil resistance is the 5v circuit that switches on/off to induce a high voltage used for spark. The secondary coil resistance mentioned is measured according to wiring diagrams. Coil #1 resistance is measured between spark plug 1 and pin #1 on the coil terminals. Coil #3 between spark 3 and pin #1 and so forth. Measure and compare values. All resistance readings should be close and within the range given as temperature affects resistance. Three coils should have similar resistance values. One reading different from the other two would mean something.

Injectors are under the central main intake manifold. Injector swapping and resistance checks are the only two options before replacement. One injector failing isn't likely.

A good multimeter is needed for any electrical/electronics work just as a good socket set means reliability. A compression gauge can be bought or a loaner from Autozone/Pepboys. Google for instructions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I have seen a recent upswing in the number of folks getting SES lights that reveal the P301 code when scanned. (Misfire) I will toss this out as a quick "general" troubleshooting guide with TWO senarios:

Senario #1.
Upon initial start up, cars runs/idles very rough, though usually sometimes only briefly, and SES light comes on. (Code P0301 generated)
In this senario, odds are that a problem exists in the IGNITION system somewhere. Things to check:
1. Spark plugs (non platinum, correct gap)
2. Spark plug wires (cross firing due to age and moisture or oil flooded plug wells in the DOHC engines only)
3. Coil pack towers (corroded)
4. Coil pack to engine bolts corroded at loop connectors

Senario #2.
Car starts and idles ok, cruises ok, but stumbles, jerks and or "misses" during moderate acceleration or hill climbing, and SES light comes on. (Code P0301 generated) In this senario, odds are that a problem lies in the FUEL or EGR system despite what the code suggests. A fault in one of those other two systems may be leaning out the air fuel mixture briefly and causing the misfire. Things to check:
1. Fuel injectors clogged
2. EGR valve sticking
3. MAP sensor vacuum ports clogged/leaking or poor electrical connection
4. Faulty TPS or TPS wiring/connector
5. Items 1-4 in senario 1 (just to be sure)

The MAP sensor small attachment near the ECM on the rear intake manifold right?

How would I go about testing if this guy is clogged/leaking malfunctioning or what have you?

According to the quote thats another possible reason for the P0301 taking directly from a forum on misfires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Using information from other forums unrelated to L-series EFI systems may be misinterpreted from incorrect info being applied to a different model. Below is a reprint from the service manual for your model (all references are relative to using GM equipment), in addition to what was given previously. Unless you buy a service manual or subscribe to alldata.diy, it can be easy to be misinformed if attempting to use information from a different forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (180.0 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Wow that "Specific Cylinder Misfire Detected" troubleshooting guide outlines it all and it looks mostly easy enough to follow.

All I have is a cheapo $20 scan tool that I've been borrowing from a friend.

I'm not sure if it has the abilities to do some of the stuff that this troubleshooting guide suggests.

Do I need a GM scan tool or just any generic but more advanced scan tool in order to perform the job? If so, any clue as to the price range of one of these things? If I need to purchase some expensive scan tool to perform this then testing might be delayed a bit until the funds are available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No expensive scan tools are required, yet. I made a point of using service manual info in reference to GM scan tools because reprinting portions of the manual on message boards can easily be misleading. All GM service manuals do not refer to anyone's personal or commercial (repair shop) aftermarket readers/scan tools. The only scan tool mentioned in GM service manuals are either spelled out using "Tech II" or deduced by reading the detailed procedures instructing a Saturn or GM technician to "...select XXX or step nnn" that doesn't mention any specific reader/scan tool that are produced in the thousands with and without buttons, including all the wifi/bluetooth readers with apps for cell phones. All these aftermarket devices are not the GM scan tool (the Tech II). No reader or scan tool made is the equivalent of the versatile Tech II because of proprietary software exclusively developed by GM for GM use by dealers in the GM family with network support. By having network support, control of many functions of their scan tool restricts their use to specific equipment no one else can use or acquire as several layers of access are used to control access to GM scan tool software whether an individual owns a Tech II or not. Without dealer authorization or GM assigned login/password, access to the GM network to support their Tech II is near impossible to all. For everyone else in DIY land, troubleshooting methods are still developed and used without need of GM's Tech II. A person familiar with EFI systems along with many skills using advanced knowledge of electrical/electronic circuits coupled with engine mechanics may have abilities to troubleshoot engine/xmission problems. Guessing is left behind to acquire deeper knowledge of EFI systems.

Your misfire issue may be relatively simple or difficult to answer, depending on what your knowledge of general car maintenance is. There's much to be learned on your own and you may be stepping into the deep end of the pool when sensor questions are asked - all EFI systems require more than average knowledge of electronics to understand how electronics plays a major role in failures and influence how troubleshooting is performed. Once a reader is plugged in, more information is needed to understand what's displayed.

A generic reader that plugs in and displays error codes are priced around $20 - just to display error codes. The next step up are readers with more information, programmed to display live data. Inexpensive wifi/bluetooth readers and a small fee for an app to connect to a cell phone are another avenue for reading live data and error codes. Having the ability to save data for downloading to a pc/laptop/tablet raises costs unless a person shops around. I see roughly three levels in pricing and there may be more levels depending on a person's wallet. None are as sophisticated as GM's Tech II because none can alter ecm/pcm/bcm/tcm/ABS/airbag modules. GM's Tech II has the capability to do much more than whatever's being sold over the counter or online. The same may be said for Ford or Chrysler's version of a Tech II scan tool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With regards to the Misfire Troubleshooting Guide you've provided me, there is a step that says:

"Using Scan tool perform ignition coil special test on cylinder that is misfiring"

This is mostly what my previous question was about but I failed to ask it properly.

So I guess my real question is, is a more "sophisticated" scanner needed to perform this task? Such as, a scanner in the 2nd price tier that has the ability to report live data.

I don't see any option in for "ignition coil special test" with it.

Forgive me if you already answered this question, I might just lack the braincells to correctly interpret what you've said.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Service manual reprints such as the one's I posted here refer to GM's scan tool only. The flow chart is for use by GM, their dealer techs, and their TECH II scan tool. I reprinted the flow chart for you to see the difference between using references from another forum and a direct reference relative to your model. No aftermarket scan tool will substitute for GM's scan tool. The flow chart is for reference only if you do not have a TECH II. All it provides is a procedure to follow in general. I interpret the step about checking coil resistance for me to use a multimeter to measure coil resistance since I do not have access to a Tech II scan tool.

Part of using service manuals is interpreting the overall procedures and modifying routines when DIYers don't have an expensive TECH II scan tool. The ability to read between the lines becomes important when using technical service manuals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #17
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

ah thanks for clarifying that. =D

Something I should probably have mentioned earlier. My schrader valve on the fuel pressure tester used to leak fuel, so we replaced the valve and fixed that problem, but there is still sometimes a noticeable smell of fuel that can be detected when inside the car.

There doesn't appear to be any obvious fuel leak under the car nor in the car or anywhere really.

Does this make it seem more likely that there is a faulty fuel injector?

I think that, along with the basics, I should investigate the the fuel injectors due to this fuel smell.

What would be the procedure to get to the injector(s) or at least the one on Cylinder #1

If I understand correctly the center manifold needs to be removed, if so what is the procedure to do this or should I just look it up somewhere on this website.

Your input is much appreciated as always.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #18
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Car mileage, general overall condition of the car, engine? Once a fuel leak occurs, the smell will take a few days to go away since oil residues takes longer to evaporate wherever it deposits. If there's a serious leak then you'll have to make a close visual inspection of the two fuel rails on top of the engine - spring couplings allow separation of fuel lines when working under the main intake manifold. Injectors are underneath for inspection, removal. With engine idling, the fuel test valve cap should be on to seal and keep dirt out. No fuel leaks should be seen or smelled unless repairs weren't done correctly.

A recent post about a new member just went thru much troubleshooting asking about engine problems, never revealing a rebuild was done. After many posts he revealed finding a loose pcm ground wire he thought was tightened during engine repairs, the source of his problems. A wild goose chase, shooting himself in the foot and setting himself up to chase a problem he caused.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Wow sorry I nearly abandoned this thread my apologies.

Allow me to update, since last trying to get to the fuel injectors I made the stupid mistake of blowing some fuses with plugging in the EGR valve wires while the car was running.

I replaced the blown fuses and checked with a multimeter that ALL of the fuses from under the hood, driver side and passenger side boxes were intact.

I have Not checked any of the relays though, as I am still unsure how to check them, but I can always ask my Dad for that one.

BTW this cured the P0403 and P0405 that popped up as a result of blowing the fuses.

I did notice (while trying to get at the fuel injectors) that the EGR valve pipe was unplugged so I plugged it back in and used the bolt to tighten it back on, however this did not cure my P0301.

Question: Was the unplugged egr valve pipe a vacuum leak? If I'm correct to say, I believe the EGR vents exhaust back into the intake to be reused, so does the fact that it was open mean that unmetered air was entering the intake?

Regardless the P0301 continues so my plans are to check the rear coil pack this week/weekend (and seriously do it this time), and also to check for vacuum leaks as I'm noticing hissing under the hood from areas I previously had not noticed. (seemingly around cylinder 1) but in a low/hard to reach area.

Question: What other methods can I use to detect vacuum leaks aside from spraying water? I heard something about using a cigar to blow into the intake, is that a viable option? Also if so, would I just blow it into the MAF or something like that?

oh forget to mention the reason i was looking at the fuel injectors was because of the fuel smell, but I recently discovered the smell is actually coming from a leak somewhere on/near the gas tank (OH brother!)

Help me (fdryer-kenobi, your my only hope.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!