SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #21
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue 3.0L AWD Automatic Transmission Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderr911 View Post
I rescanned for codes and here is what I got:

P0971 Pressure Control Solenoid C Control Circuit High
Have you seen the attached from F2G?
Can you do that resistance check?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3.0 P0971.pdf (55.5 KB, 49 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #22
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Some more info on that Solenoid . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRE-ATRA08-RCW 16.jpg (138.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg PRE-ATRA08-RCW 18.jpg (89.5 KB, 24 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #23
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The leaky PCV hose is probably causing the P0171 & P0174 lean codes too.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #24
spyderr911
spyderr911 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure I can do that resistance check with my current tools and skillset. I wonder if I should start replacing parts? I'm starting to believe its not my transmission after all. I wonder if its the TCM?

And I too think the PCV hose could be giving me the 'lean' codes but does anyone have directions on how to replace it? I want to look over how to do it before I start buying parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spyderr911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spyderr911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spyderr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #25
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I'm not sure I can do that resistance check with my current tools and skillset. I wonder if I should start replacing parts? I'm starting to believe its not my transmission after all. I wonder if its the TCM?
Considering the original ATF was in there for 190k mi., I would be inclined to suspect a VB problem before the TCM.

Quote:
And I too think the PCV hose could be giving me the 'lean' codes but does anyone have directions on how to replace it?
Does the attached TSB look like it refers to the Hose in question?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB 04-06-01-001.pdf (16.8 KB, 32 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #26
spyderr911

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a VB problem? And do I diagnose/fix it?

And yes, that is the PCV hose I am referring to. The pdf was handy but I still can't follow where the cable goes, when it disappears down the right-back side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spyderr911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2014, 08:31 PM   #27
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a VB problem? And do I diagnose/fix it?
VB = Valve Body - that thingy inside your tranny that applies fluid pressure to the appropriate clutches. You need to follow the instructions in the pdf attached to Post #21 and check those resistances.

Quote:
And yes, that is the PCV hose I am referring to. The pdf was handy but I still can't follow where the cable goes, when it disappears down the right-back side.
That TSB calls for cutting off a section of Hose. Is that the section where your cracks are?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #28
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
The pdf was handy but I still can't follow where the cable goes, when it disappears down the right-back side.
That Hose is Pt# 24460674 (Item 10) . . .
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...=0&modelYear=0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #29
spyderr911

Just wanted to give a quick update. I plan to try and attempt to measure the resistance of those pins this weekend. Just so I'm clear - I am measuring the resistance of the pins of that 14-pin connector thing located behind the driver side kick panel? Do I do this with the engine running, or in the ON position, or completely turned off?

Also I wanted to add another interesting thing I noticed with this whole transmission issue thingy. Once the Saturn goes into Transmission Protection Mode, and I finally get to my destination and shift into Park, I noticed the RPMs start revving higher and higher; as if my foot is pressing on the gas pedal. This happens roughly 90% of the time (and only if the tranny goes into protect mode). *Now here's the real interesting part... once in a while when I shift into Park and my RPMs start rising, sometimes my speedometer does too (in sync with the RPMs). Now why would the speedometer ever rise when the car is parked and the wheels aren't moving??? I put up a quick video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKsdWJgqk7U

So to recap:
- The Saturn always drives normal on a cold engine for the first few miles.
- Normally the car goes into Protection Mode after it has been idling for a bit; usually while I'm at stop light. Other times it happens after I've driven 5 or miles
- Sometimes there are "warnings" the Saturn is about to go into Protection Mode when I'm driving because it will slip and be a little rough when downshifting/upshifting.
- After I get to my destination (and it has been in protection mode), the RPMs (and sometimes the speedometer too) will start to rise higher and higher when placed into Park.

If it was a true transmission issue, wouldn't the car drive like crap the entire time (when up/down shifting)??? I really hoping this is anything but the transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 AM   #30
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Just so I'm clear - I am measuring the resistance of the pins of that 14-pin connector thing located behind the driver side kick panel? Do I do this with the engine running, or in the ON position, or completely turned off?
No - I believe they are talking about the connector that's on the tranny (photo attached). Check the resistance with the engine and ignition OFF.

Quote:
Also I wanted to add another interesting thing I noticed with this whole transmission issue thingy. Once the Saturn goes into Transmission Protection Mode, and I finally get to my destination and shift into Park, I noticed the RPMs start revving higher and higher; as if my foot is pressing on the gas pedal. This happens roughly 90% of the time (and only if the tranny goes into protect mode). *Now here's the real interesting part... once in a while when I shift into Park and my RPMs start rising, sometimes my speedometer does too (in sync with the RPMs). Now why would the speedometer ever rise when the car is parked and the wheels aren't moving??? I put up a quick video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKsdWJgqk7U
Yeah - that's a bit curious. We have to research where that speedo signal is coming from.

PS - here's a thread where some tranny problems turned out to be a bad TCM . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184001
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCM I-L.JPG (66.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Chazberry; 11-14-2014 at 12:15 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:27 AM   #31
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

PPS - pin-out for that connector in this post . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...25&postcount=5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2014, 12:55 AM   #32
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Yeah - that's a bit curious. We have to research where that speedo signal is coming from.
Do you have ABS? If not, the ECM uses the ABS signal from the front right wheel speed sensor as a Vehicle Speed Sensor.

More info in this thread (WAY too much electronics in today's vehicles!) . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182578

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #33
spyderr911

Can you tell me where this PIN connector is located? The picture is too zoomed in, and I can't tell where it is located or next to.

Also, if I get another TCM (used somewhere), does it need reprogrammed? And if so, can I do it myself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #34
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Can you tell me where this PIN connector is located? The picture is too zoomed in, and I can't tell where it is located or next to.
Lay on your back with your head underneath the driver's side headlight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AT I-L.JPG (63.6 KB, 35 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #35
spyderr911

Ok so I will crawl underneath the car and unplug this connector and then test the pins for resistance right? And if the ohms appear to be incorrect (according to the PDF you attached) then what do I need to replace or do?

Another question. I noticed that my C200 14 pin connector (located behind the kick panel on the driver side) was slightly corroded. I cleaned it as best as I could, and put dielectric grease on it too. But if I want/need to replace both sides of this connector, how do I go about it? Do I simply snip the connectors and go to a junk yard and snip some new ones and splice it all together one wire at a time? Does it connect somewhere else; and if so, can I just buy both sets of wires and plug them in?

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #36
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Ok so I will crawl underneath the car and unplug this connector and then test the pins for resistance right? And if the ohms appear to be incorrect (according to the PDF you attached) then what do I need to replace or do?
I think you'd be looking at going inside the tranny and replacing that Solenoid on the VB (see Pg 24 attached).

Quote:
Another question. I noticed that my C200 14 pin connector (located behind the kick panel on the driver side) was slightly corroded. I cleaned it as best as I could, and put dielectric grease on it too. But if I want/need to replace both sides of this connector, how do I go about it? Do I simply snip the connectors and go to a junk yard and snip some new ones and splice it all together one wire at a time? Does it connect somewhere else; and if so, can I just buy both sets of wires and plug them in?
I think I would hope that your cleaning efforts would suffice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF33 Intro 24.jpg (174.2 KB, 47 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #37
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
While I was under my VUE today, I took this pic for you . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Sep.JPG (133.2 KB, 43 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #38
spyderr911

Ok, so I get my multi-tester out and crawl under my Saturn. I finally (after a long time struggling) got the AT inline 14-way connector unplugged, only to find out that the side I need to test is basically unreachable to do the ohm testing. The harness side I can test but the instructions call for testing the transmission side of the harness which is bolted to the frame at a weird angle. I can barely get my hand up there, let alone get two hands up there to hold the prongs of the ohm reader to measure it. Plus I can't see anything once my hand is up there; I would be just guessing what pin I was on anyways.

How does one measure these pins? Seems like it would be easier to buy another harness, plug it in and snip the wires on the other side and just measure the wires.

I have no clue what to do now. I may have to skip this step. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #39
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I have no clue what to do now. I may have to skip this step. Any ideas?
Hey - you got the Connector apart - you're halfway home!
It looks like the tranny-side of that Connector has male pins.
I would make up some leads with some kind of crimp-on terminal that you can push onto those male pins. Even if you can't see what you're doing, you should be able to get on the right pins with some trial-and-error.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crimp-ons.jpg (14.0 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #40
spyderr911

I understand that I'm halfway home by getting that connector unplugged, but there's a long way left. lol.

I won't be able to look at again till next weekend, so maybe I will be able to do as you suggested. It will still be really hard to do it the way you suggested (that plug is elbow length up there; not much room to see or move around), but I will do my best to try to test the ohms of this darn connector.

I also am going to start thinking about replacing the Valve Body. Does anyone have a walkthrough PDF or video of how to do this on a 2003 Saturn Vue 3.0? Also if I buy a new (or used/rebuilt) valve body, does it come with the 3 solenoids, or am I confusing things again? Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!