SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #1
Dcrandall
Dcrandall is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
Default Broken Plastic pieces in oil pan, NEED Assistance

found these pieces in the oil pan after removing it, does anyone know what they are or where they came from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1155.JPG (175.0 KB, 31 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dcrandall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dcrandall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dcrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Broken Plastic pieces in oil pan, NEED Assistance

Timing chain guide? Mileage of this engine? You'll probably have to remove the timing chain cover and cam cover to examine the timing chain and guides. It may be obvious when parts are exposed that chain slack is seen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
Dcrandall

2004 ION-3 Sedan

The car has 148,000 miles on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dcrandall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Judging from the shape of the parts in the picture it appears that those items are fragments of the larger broken part. I think there are more broken pieces elsewhere, most likely behind the timing cover. I'm in agreement with fdryer's view - these pieces are from a timing chain guide.

The link below is a picture of the left timing chain guide. The broken pieces in your picture attached appear to be from the right hand end of that guide.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....431624&jsn=357

It appears that you've had - at the least - a partial engine failure. The question will be, how much damage did the engine suffer when this guide and/or other timing components broke apart? Did this "event" (the breaking of the guide) occur while driving? If so, at what speed?

In the interest of understanding the fuller context of this issue, what is the maintenance history of this car? What mileage interval is followed when changing the oil and filter? (Your annual mileage is not high.)

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 11-01-2016 at 11:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

The part you found in the oil pan is the top piece of the forward timing chain guide.

Look at post #5. Its the second photo. Also look at the photo in post #8. The piece you found is broken off from the left side of the guides shown in that photo.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218942

If the car is still running - STOP - do NOT drive it any farther.

If your lucky:

1) The bolt that holds that guide on hasn't been cut in half yet by the chain. This is a common problem and there are a couple solutions if the bolt has sheered. That bolt is behind a cover on the head.

2) The chain hasn't broken yet, when it does, you will bend valves.

3) If your real lucky, you might get by with a timing chain set.

Scroll down through that post. This is what I wrote up when I replaced the timing chain on my Vue.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

Last edited by waiter21; 11-02-2016 at 06:28 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:34 PM   #6
Dcrandall

2004 ION-3 Sedan

does anyone know what the cam position should be on TDC 1, pitsons 1 and 4 are both at top

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
waiter21
waiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of lightwaiter21 is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 2.2L

Look very carefully at the photos in post #5 on the link I gave you. You can see the position of the two cam gears. The Crank is at #1 TDC in these photos.

Don't panic (yet) if the paint marks on your chain don't line up with the marks on the gears. Unless you can also see the crankshaft gear paint marks on the crank gear, these marks don't tell you anything.

Chain Paint Marks. These are used when installing a new chain, you line up the paint mark on the crank gear when its at #1 TDC, then line up the paint marks on the two cam gears.

If you are trying to verify timing, you need to be able to see the crank gear. Rotate the crank until the paint mark lines up on the crank gear, This only happens every XX (23 I think) rotations of the crank. When the paint lines up on the crank gear, the two cam gears should also line up with their paint marks.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

Last edited by waiter21; 11-06-2016 at 08:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:32 AM   #8
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Question Re: Broken Plastic pieces in oil pan, NEED Assistance

How hard is it to take the oil pan off the ecotec 2.2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:30 AM   #9
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemier7 View Post
How hard is it to take the oil pan off the ecotec 2.2?
I just did it. Search my post for big oil leak. It is not real easy. You have to raise and support the engine, remove an AC compressor bolt, remove dipstick bracket bolt and all wires secured to it. You have 4 lower bell housing bolts that go into the transmission. The pan is RTV'd on. My post has some pictures.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #10
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcrandall View Post
found these pieces in the oil pan after removing it, does anyone know what they are or where they came from.
If the front of this engine has never been rebuilt, you are heading for big trouble if you don't take care of it now. I rebuilt my front earlier this year, but I unknowingly let it go too long and ruined all the valves in the head when the chain slipped.

Here are some of parts I had to replace and you can see the broken pieces of the chain guide on the right. I had the same broken piece in my oil pan.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #11
hoosierrun

2006 VUE 2.2L

Here is a link to a closeup of those broken chain guide pieces. The larger pieces stayed in the front of the timing case and the smaller pieces fell into the pan.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...55&postcount=5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!