SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
warlik50
warlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default How do you change your fuel filter?

Car: 2001 3.0L V6 L300

I'm looking for information about the location of the fuel filter on this car and the procedure for removal and replacement.

If my few minutes of Google searching have yielded any information, it should be on the passenger side near in front of the rear tire, can anyone confirm? If this is the correct location, would it be appropriate to drive my rear tires on my ramps to get at it or should I simply jack up one side? (I only have the basic jack that the car comes with)

Also as far as procedure goes, do I need to remove the negative battery cable and/or remove the fuel pump fuse/relay and try to start the car as to limit fuel leakage before proceeding?

Last question, I've located a number of replacement fuel filters from rocksauto.com, are all of the suggested ones viable replacement options? I know I can't ask you guys to confirm whether or not the stuff they sell is proper but I'm asking are there supposed to be several options of fuel filters or just a stand ACDelco one and nothing but?

I'm a total newb at this, so go easy on me guys

"Knowledge is my soup, the internet; my straw."
"So you drink soup with a straw, eh?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to warlik50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help warlik50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
warlik50 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: How do you change your fuel filter?

Confine all your future searches to Saturnfans. There are pictures and drawings where our oil filters are located in past threads for anyone willing to search. Yours is between the radiator core and engine, in the middle. Access is from the bottom with a jack on either right or left front wheel to lift the car high enough to crawl under. There's limited access to using special tools or just a long adjustable wrench/32mm socket as the exhaust down pipe is in the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
warlik50
warlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ermm ummm correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the fuel filter and oil filter two separate items which both exist on the L300?

I'm referring to the filter that the fuel (gasoline) travels through, not the filter which oil travels through, please forgive me if my original post was unclear.

I'm well aware of the location/procedure for replacing my oil and its filter. I'm just in the process of tuning up the car and I believe the fuel filter is due for 100k miles which would make mine well overdue at 163k miles. (assuming the oil and fuel filter are not the same thing?)

Last edited by warlik50; 11-03-2013 at 02:16 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help warlik50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It's VERY easy.

On the passanger side of the car, jack it up/secure it and locate the fuel intake line. Follow it from the gas tank towards the front of the vehicle and you should see the fuel filter as a small canister along the fuel line. Have a large bucket ready to capture the fuel and unclip the fuel filter carefully. It's best to do this in a garage so the brittle plastic doesn't break. Take old filter off, note direction it was secured in, and replace with new filter by clipping the intake/outflow clips to the filter. Secure filter back in with strap and screw.

Only tools I needed when I did this was a screw driver, some WD40 for the rusted strap screw, and my new filter was much smaller than my original, so I used a folded up coke can wrapped around the filter to secure it. No leaks, improved MPG. Old filter didn't seem to be too clogged after 30k miles.

They say the filters can run until 100k but my car sat a while and they are so cheap. I got mine for $3.50 at Autozone price matched from rockauto. Fram brand. In the store they were listed at $12. Not bad if you replace every 50-75k.

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thanks for your input JohnyFerrari, only one question left however. Do I or should I remove the negative battery cable/and or the fuel pump relay and then put the car in ignition to have it drain out as much fuel from the front of the filter before removal or is this not necessary? I prefer not to waste gasoline as I'm on a very tight budget

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlik50 View Post
Ermm ummm correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the fuel filter and oil filter two separate items which both exist on the L300?

I'm referring to the filter that the fuel (gasoline) travels through, not the filter which oil travels through, please forgive me if my original post was unclear.....
I don't know where my brain was but its clear I'm the here.... call it a senior moment (and without alcohol!)...Obviously I was babbling about oil filter location and not fuel filters. My bad.

No battery disconnect needed, just leave ignition OFF.

You can press the fuel test valve after the engine's been off for an hour or more to relieve any residual pressure in the lines to allow fuel filter replacement. This should leave little to no pressure when disconnecting the lines by the filter. Have everything prepared before disconnecting fuel lines and review what's needed to make this is as simple as described. Examine the old fuel filter and mount before attempting replacement. A catch container for any small fuel spills, rag, tools, etc.. Any fuel leaking out would be from remaining fuel in the line - allow fuel to drain or plug the opening before laying it into a container. Oil may help to lube fittings when reconnecting lines to the new filter. If a rusted mounting screw is found, this may be one of the few things to hinder replacement. Remember, fuel is flammable so ventilation is needed as fuel evaporates quickly to provide an explosive atmosphere. Allow plenty of ventilation if doing this in a garage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That's very humble of you to say mr fdryer

I greatly appreciate all the information provided and am feeling pretty confident now about this procedure. I hope to bring you guys an update on the situation when I am able to purchase the fuel filter and have the time to work on it.

Has this procedure been documented already? If not should I do a documentary procedure for my fellow saturnites?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its fdryer, not mr fdryer. If you address me as mister, I'm liable to develop a swollen head and won't be able to waddle thru doorways. The other ducks are already laughing about this, making me feel real ducky.................

I like pictures but only if nice and sharp and if done correctly. Too often, what shows up are out of focus pictures from posting before viewing them at home with a full screen to show how bad some pics are. Small views don't show blurry pics at all until previewed at full size the way we see them in posts.

Most here are familiar with filter procedures so pics are optional.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #9
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ahh sorry for the misnomer.

When I get around to doing the filter I'll see if I have the time, resources and of course proper equipment to document it effectively.

For now though, this thread is resolved thanks everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

"Just Fdryer. Mr. Fdryer was my father..."

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
warlik50

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Bahhahaa! That was good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!