SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
SharonP
SharonP is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn 2001 SL Not Passing Emissions

I hope someone can please help me.(this is my first post, so I apologize if I am not doing something correct) I cannot pass emissions. They tell me that it is rejecting the test. Which then in turn means that my car may not need repair. I had a bad gas cap and replaced it. I had it put on the computer and there are no active codes showing. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks so much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SharonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SharonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SharonP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Saturn 2001 SL Not Passing Emissions

Welcome to the forums! You have made a common mistake and posted in the L-series forum. Re-post this in the S-series forums and you should get a better response.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn 2001 SL Not Passing Emissions

^ What he said! ^

In the mean time, if you are describing something about resetting the error code when the gas cap was replaced, there's a period where the car must be driven to allow the emissions self tests to perform until it completes. Internally to the mandated emissions regulations, readiness monitors check for every sensor and device involved in emissions control while driving that starts with a cold engine, full warm up, and engine shut down. Driving locally in traffic and some highway is part of a 'drive cycle' - a tortuous set of routines to perform as recommended in service manuals. This is only done if a manual reset of error codes are done OR simply driving the car a few days or so and using a reader to display whether or not the readiness monitors have passed. All vehicles made after 1996 are using OBD II where emissions self tests are performed every time an engine is started, car driven. This is a continuous emissions test to ensure compliance otherwise a check engine light is turned on to alert a driver of an emissions fault. Usually a repair of any emissions fault without manually resetting any error code results in the check engine light turning off on the next engine start and if emissions inspection is needed, will pass immediately. Manually resetting error codes resets emissions back to factory defaults requiring a 'drive cycle' of approximately 50 miles. Leaving the error light to reset on its own allows on board emissions testing to complete in less time since it halted when an error was detected. The test resumes on its own after correcting the error instead of starting at the beginning.

Driving a few days, maybe less, should allow all emissions tests to complete automatically. Using a reader can tell you if all the readiness monitors are completed in order to pass emissions inspection. Emissions inspection checks the same monitors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote