SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 12:47 AM   #1
Sledneck01
Sledneck01 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down Goodbye to Saturn

I just want everyone to know that I hate my saturn. I bought it back in december of 2002 and I have had nothing but problems. It's a 2000 SC2 with only 25000 on the body. I say "on the body" because it already has a new engine! Ok...next....front end has been totally replaced. That includes ball joints, steering rack, and tie rods. Third, the car leaks like a siv. Might as well be a convertable with it's top down when it's raining. My floor has puddles everytime it rains and saturn can't find the problem and neither can I. And worst of all that's not even covered by the warrenty. Hell I've gotten the shaft from customer service everytime i've needed something done. The engine which was supposed to be covered by the warrenty still costed me 900 buckaroos. Ok fourth, the electronics on the car suck. The check engine light comes on everytime I drive it for something new. All I know is that this is the last saturn I'll ever buy because saturn will not do anything for me to make things right. Unfortunately I'm financing this P.O.S. and I'm stuck with it until I can afford to buy myself out of the deal. Who knows....maybe I just got a lemon. But with the way I've been treated I WILL NEVER TAKE ANOTHER CHANCE WITH SATURN. Saturn has lost a once proud saturn customer for life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sledneck01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sledneck01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2003, 06:28 AM   #2
Bertillion

Sounds like it was in an accident prior to your ownership. I suggest leaving it in a bad part of your city and leave the windows down with keys available. I had a lot of problems with my previous Saturn, but I knew it was because of the previous owner not Saturn. Did you buy it at a Saturn dealership? If you did I suggest you write a "official" letter threatening legal action. That will make them snap to attention real quick if you have a case. You don't probably even need a lawyer. Just make it look good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 05-09-2003, 08:36 AM   #3
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

sounds like you bought someone elses wreck. with a used car you don't always know what to expect unless you got it "certified" from saturn?

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Two thoughts:
1) Troll??
2) It is certainly good that Honda and Toyota never have problems with their cars...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:21 AM   #5
BruceOz
BruceOz is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1997 SL2
Idea

How thoroughly did you (or someone else) check the car out before you bought it? Did you run a carfax report? Don't blame Saturn for you getting a bad USED car as they only make NEW ones!! It seems to me as though you didn't do YOUR homework.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BruceOz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BruceOz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:35 AM   #6
Sledneck01

I did all my homework. I bought it from saturn as a "certified" saturn. It has no reported accidents in it's history. This is actually my second saturn. My second saturn I had until 210,000 miles then i decided to get rid of it because of vibrations. I was satisfied with that saturn.
As for writing that letter threatning legal action....I did that last week. Lets hope I at least get re-embursed for my engine. I sure could use that 900 bux for a new down payment on a different car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sledneck01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:36 AM   #7
Sattyinsnow
Sattyinsnow is on a distinguished road

yah sounds like a lemon or a really bad used car. accident/ reck. makes no sense how i know of alteast a good 24 sc2 2002 have no problems and 1 guy has like 54,000km . or do you drive the **** out of it? like going full speed over bumps and stuff?

but then again who knows..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sattyinsnow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sattyinsnow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:37 AM   #8
leonards
leonards is on a distinguished road

I agree with all replies here,

Back in late '92, I bought a 'used' 1992 SL2 5spd. right from the dealer. They inspected it and gave me a full report. I then asked them if I can get a 2nd opinion and they LENT me the car and I drove it to my tech so that he could inspect it. Once he ok'd it, only then did I actually purchase the car. Carfax is really important too. Do not blame the company. It was something that was totally preventable if homework was done...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leonards's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leonards reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:40 AM   #9
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

210K miles and you're 'satisfied?'

Good luck with whatever car you go to after this Saturn because you'll most likely need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 12:21 PM   #10
IONicSaturn
Advanced Member
IONicSaturn is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Like Bertillion, I've had several MAJOR problems with my Saturn (head gasket, 2 transmissions, a couple of alternators and water pumps, wiring harness). However, I know that a good portion of the problems I did have can most likely be attributed to the previous owner, except the head gasket and Saturn issued a recall for the '96 SOHC Saturns (we bought the car with 41K on it, just after it turned 3 years old). From my own observations and experience, and from what I've read here, Carfax does not mean diddly for a previous accident (or flood, etc.) if the insurance company is not involved. I ran a carfax on my SL1 shortly after we bought it back in '98 and no accidents or other "bad" things came up, yet recently my mechanic told me that there is a very good chance the car took on light water before we bought it (rust in odd places, bad wiring harness etc. and it certainly was not my family, because that car has been babied since Day 1). Even after all of this, I would recommend Saturn to anyone. They are very safe, innovative and reliable *most Saturns* cars. I'd buy another one without even thinking about it.

Sledneck, you probably just got stuck with a lemon. It happens, and yes to Hondas and Toyotas too. For example, like I mentioned above about my problems with my SL1; my neighbor across the street from me has the IDENTICAL car, right down to the color (I live on Saturn Street, it's a tiny little dead end street with all of about 10 houses, and there used to be about 8 Saturns up here at one time). Except she got her car new, and mine was used. She has about 70,000 miles on it and in that time, she has not had a single problem, NOT ONE! She loves that car, and like me, she said that Saturn is the only make she will ever buy.

Mike

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
2005 Saturn L300
1999 Dodge Durango SLT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONicSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONicSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 02:04 PM   #11
skijay
skijay is on a distinguished road

Even a "certified" used car can have issues. Just because it says "certified" does not mean the consumer should just assume it is perfect. STILL get it inspected prior to your purchase. The selling dealer will "fix" items to make the car "legally" safe to sell. There is only so much dollars allowed per vehicle for the reconditioning process.

This does not just apply to Saturn certified used cars, it applies to all.

If Sledneck01's car was a certified used car from Saturn or wherever he/she should have some type of warranty. Here in CT, I think the minimum is 6mth/6000 miles. After reading Sled's post again and stating it has 25,000 miles on it, should there still be a factory warranty on it? If it is a genuine Saturn certified used car, don't they give you a 4yr/50,000mile warranty since original in service date (the time the car was sold as new)????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skijay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skijay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 03:02 PM   #12
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I had a friend who use to keep his cars impecable. He worked in LI and commute to westcheter about 140 miles RT. Before he would turn in the lease he would turn the speedo back and put on new pedals. The car was like new. He changed the oil and took really good care of the car. The dealer loved the cars he returned as they were in excellent shape. Little did anyone know. This was before carfax. Know another person who did the same on a lease butturned back only a few K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 05:46 PM   #13
saturnfreak01
saturnfreak01 is on a distinguished road

"""Two thoughts:
1) Troll??
2) It is certainly good that Honda and Toyota never have problems with their cars"""\

Well said

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnfreak01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnfreak01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:19 PM   #14
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Yep, those Toyota and Honda dealerships only have a few technicians working and most of them are as lonely as Maytag repairmen - when you have no problems, you don't need techs.

<sarcasm noted>

It wouldn't be any surprise to me that that bummer-mobile got in an accident, wasn't fixed right, wasn't bad enough to be reported to Car Fax and the retailer has no idea it had been bunged up. Retailers get lied to also.

All the certification means is that it has had between 120 and 130 items inspected and that it may have a longer warranty than a non-certified car. Nobody asks what "inspected means".

Example - they take the front wheels off, do a visual check of brake pad thickness and take a quick look at the disk. Is that an "inspection". Or would an "inspection" be a thorough check that includes measuring the thickness of the pads, the thickness of the rotors and checking the rotors for warpage, etc.

Would one of the Saturn techs explain what these "inspections" really are and how in-depth they are?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:28 PM   #15
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

hey sledneck - I see you're from the People's Republic of Minnesota.

You don't have to mention the specific retailer, but from what locality did you buy the car?

How many miles on it when you got it and how many months have you had it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2003, 11:21 PM   #16
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Question

Skijay;

I don't think Saturn gives warrantys for that long for certified used cars. 4 yr/50kmiles is longer than the new car warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2003, 12:35 AM   #17
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, what are you implying... (sarcasm)

Sorry about budding in with a completely unrelated post...

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2003, 11:47 AM   #18
Sledneck01

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Bob

You don't have to mention the specific retailer, but from what locality did you buy the car?

How many miles on it when you got it and how many months have you had it?
Bob,
I bought the car from saturn of white bear lake with 20,000 back in december 2002. I'm in the process of talking with the head honchos at saturn(district managers) to see if I can get some kind of compensation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2003, 05:09 PM   #19
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Most all new car dealers buy the cars you see on the lot as is at an auto auction. They usally are NOT trade ins.Some may be or may be lease cars returned ,but many dealers still use the auction. My experance with a chrysler dealer in Bayshore N.Y. and a Buick dealer in Bellmore N.Y were less than happy experances. Both cars needed brakes and had other major problems after I picked them up. If you can buy new do it. Or as I learned you may be buying someone elses headache. New car dealer or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2003, 05:30 PM   #20
EvilSL2
EvilSL2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

I bought a used saturn that turned out to be a rental car in VA.
I found this out after the trans blew and had to be rebult 2 times. But other than that im happy with mine to a point. about the only thing i wish i could change would be to make it a manual trans instead of a auto. After all the trans problems it still doesnt feel right and gets lost selecting gears.

Jeremy Vickers

01 Saturn SL2 auto.

"For every abused saturn, Wolfman kills a kitten."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EvilSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EvilSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread