SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
802astraXr
802astraXr is on a distinguished road

Default LED modifications for DRL's

WARNING, long winded pic heavy post.

I've seen similar posts somewhere on here, about adding resistors to LED'S to fake out the canbus bulb warnings. so thought I would mention a few things about this, and show some pictures.

I have 35 watt 6000k HIDs that I added capacitors to for the bulb out warnings. Just thought that I should mention this, due to the running lights being wired in line with these.

What I have for running lights are white ~ 24smd LED bulbs. And as we know, Leds draw less POWER then the stock filament bulbs. So we need to add more resistance to the bulbs.

So here is where the details come in...

If we add the (current limiting)resistor in series; the led will draw less current. thus making our problem worse and the led dimmer. This is what I mistakenly did the first time.

What we need to do is add the resistor in parallel to the led, to make it draw more POWER (watts) . a resistor in parallel adds 1/r to the v=ir equation. So when you plug this into the power equation p=i^2r. you can see that with the added current you draw more power, thus making the system happy.

I picked up some 100ohm 1/4 watt resistors and popped the bulb apart.

The 2 diodes are so the bulb can be plugged in either way, and the other 2 (or one in my picture) are the +12.

Pardon the messy soldering lol I should be ashamed as a computer engineer.... But you get the point. To hook the resistor in parallel, I wrapped the resistor around the diodes and the +12 wire, then soldered.

Then I had to modify the inside of the plastic case to accommodate the resistor.

In the car:

With Hids from about 5 ft.

The best part is zero bulb out warnings!

2008 red astra xr:
FK coilovers, Opel Grille, VXR intake,HIDs,LEDs everywhere,12" sub,shorty antenna, hard wired xm radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 802astraXr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 802astraXr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
802astraXr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
AstraLover
AstraLover is on a distinguished road

Default Re: LED modifications for DRL's

You could of just bought led bulbs that are for our canabus system like I did haha

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraLover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraLover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I'm about to give this a try. I have a pair of inexpensive LED bulbs that I bought a while back. My problem was that the bulb would light up with power directly applied to the wires, yet wouldn't when installed on the light fixture.

I'll give an update if this solution works for me as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

This is how mine look with the base removed. I don't seem to have the diodes in mine, but it doesn't matter to me. I will eliminate the resistors that are pre-wired in series. Maybe this is why I couldn't get them to light up in the first place. More to come.

[/URL]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
802astraXr

Another thing I noticed is, the canbus will shut off power to that light if it senses that it isn't there. Like if you plug it in backwards , it won't hurt the LED cause the diodes, but the canbus system will shut off the socket until you turn the headlight switch on again.

I found this out the hard way, I would plug in the light with the switch on and the led wouldn't work. So I would swap it around and it still wouldn't work. But once I cycled the headlight knob, miraculously it would light up.

Your car is lowered as well, so I'm guessing you have the tire off to get in there. It was a pain to get in there before, but impossible now as I have zero wheel gap

2008 red astra xr:
FK coilovers, Opel Grille, VXR intake,HIDs,LEDs everywhere,12" sub,shorty antenna, hard wired xm radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 802astraXr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

I'm really glad you posted this thread. Here are my results:

Wiring complete on the first bulb.

LEDs bench tested good.

Success! YES!

And the comparison to the HIR bulbs I previously installed.

Just noticed that I hit a nice round number on the odometer. Thanks for the tip on removing the base of the bulb.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
802astraXr

Glad to help! No bulb out warnings right?
12,000 miles??? Must put it up for the winter?
Where are you located in Maine too? My brother lives near Bangor.

-Ben

2008 red astra xr:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Yep, it hardly has any rust on it because it stays in the garage all winter. Funny you say Bangor because that is exactly where I live. Do you come up much? It would be cool to get the cars together for a photo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
802astraXr

Not often because it's about 7 hours from Burlington VT. Last time I was up was for the Brew fest in June. I'll let you know next time! I wan't to get my opel opc grill first too!

2008 red astra xr:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
trm65
trm65 has a spectacular aura abouttrm65 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraLover View Post
You could of just bought led bulbs that are for our canabus system like I did haha
Where do you find those at?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trm65's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trm65 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trm65 is offline   Reply With Quote