SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
JoeT2013
JoeT2013 is on a distinguished road

Default Rough Idling

Hi, my 03 Ion 5-speed about 87k miles was running like brand new, about 2 miles after getting some gas I went to accelerate from a stop and all went crazy..felt like my clutch was gone. The car would shake and misfire and CEL was blinking. I thought i got bad or watered gas and changed the fuel filter, it ran a tiny bit better but did not fix so i checked the code, it was a 300. A mechanic told me it might be the ICM. It took me about 2 weeks to afford the ICM and I drove the car when neccesary and close. The car wouldn't start one day and I put in the new ICM and nothing. So then I changed the plugs and wires and it started and ran good but still had a wierd idling and 4 days later I got another code it was the 420 catylyst pressure under threshold. Needless to say I researched to find out if it might be a sensor or the converter. I said let's gamble and just get the new converter and it worked. I then put in yet another set of plugs and a new coil pack. The car runs perfect and no CEL after 2 months but it still has a wierd shakey idle at a stop even though the rpms are perfect. That never went away! Expensive Lesson Learned...NEVER DRIVE THE CAR IF YOUR CEL IS BLINKING!! Any ideas on the idling? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JoeT2013's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JoeT2013 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JoeT2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
warlik50
warlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the roughwarlik50 is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Rough Idling

I'm definitely not the most experienced person here, but if I had to take a guess (and that's all I can do seeing as I can't experience your car from over here) I would guess it's a vacuum leak.

Open the hood of your car, and try to listen for any "hissing" noises. Noise that sounds like air entering or exiting from somewhere that should be vacuum tight. If you do hear hissing, you could have a vacuum leak, in which case you would fix that part.

You might already know this though, just my $.02.

"Knowledge is my soup, the internet; my straw."
"So you drink soup with a straw, eh?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to warlik50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help warlik50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
warlik50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
JoeT2013
JoeT2013 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, it's def. a sound suggestion, will try it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JoeT2013's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JoeT2013 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JoeT2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT2013 View Post
Expensive Lesson Learned...NEVER DRIVE THE CAR IF YOUR CEL IS BLINKING!!
Right, because this dumps excessive fuel into the engine and even unburned fuel in the exhaust which harms the catalyst(s). if left untreated this can cause them to glow red hot which can cause a fire.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote