SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Wrench fuel filter and tranny fluid service on 04 Ion. no owner manual

I have a saturn ion 2.2 with 186,000 miles. Last time i changed the fuel filter it had a bunch of black sediment in it. I changed it out and was woundering how long the new fuel filter is good for?

I drained filled my autimatic asian transmission with the recommended toyota fluid. The color is still dark brown so should I drain fill the transmission again? Car shifts great and smooth. The original fluid that came out was black and smelled burnt! Probably the factory fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: fuel filter and tranny fluid service on 04 Ion. no owner manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemier7 View Post
I have a saturn ion 2.2 with 186,000 miles. Last time i changed the fuel filter it had a bunch of black sediment in it. I changed it out and was woundering how long the new fuel filter is good for?

I drained filled my autimatic asian transmission with the recommended toyota fluid. The color is still dark brown so should I drain fill the transmission again? Car shifts great and smooth. The original fluid that came out was black and smelled burnt! Probably the factory fluid.
The fuel filter can have a long service life depending on the quality of the gasoline purchased and the filter itself. My OE fuel filter went 5.5 years and nearly 95,000 miles until replacement. The clue for needing replacement was the sluggish, labored acceleration. Since then I've replaced the filter twice with less than 50K miles of service. Perhaps the reason for the sediment in the filter could've been due to internal deterioration.

If the transmission fluid had indeed not been changed before the occasion referenced, then I believe you would do yourself a favor by draining the transmission fluid again after about six months. Since you cannot drain the torque converter on your own there remains about 4 quarts of old fluid mixing with the new fluid. It shouldn't be necessary to replace the gasket nor the filter in such a short period after the previous transmission drain.

276,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: fuel filter and tranny fluid service on 04 Ion. no owner manual

On my 04 ion level 1 there is no filter or gasket. Its just drain and fill. Its the automatic asian tranmission not the manual. Saturn may of gone to filter pan gaskets set up on later modeo Ions. Anyother suggerstions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemier7 View Post
On my 04 ion level 1 there is no filter or gasket. Its just drain and fill. Its the automatic asian tranmission not the manual. Saturn may of gone to filter pan gaskets set up on later modeo Ions. Anyother suggerstions?
Thank you for correcting me. The transmission model is an AISIN AF33, five speed, from what I could gather. It appears that there is a drain plug at the bottom of the transmission and it's probably one using an "allen" style metric wrench. Nevertheless, the transmission fluid should be drained and refilled.

I've read online that this transmission may have been written up as never needing a fluid change. Manufacturers can say what they will, but no oil lasts forever in a car. All oils will degrade over time and the components they serve should be periodically drained of old oils, or fluids, and refilled with fresh oil/fluid. I hope you'll find something useful here, or something which will point you in a direction to find more pertinent information. Picking up an aftermarket repair manual can't hurt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Ion
http://www.ovguide.com/aisin-af33-tr...000000009ff0d5
http://www.amawebs.com/storage/docs/h43cs52ebhg.pdf
(This last link is a GM manual on the transmission.)
I couldn't find any servicing info readily at this time.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The manual linked in the previous message reads as being for an Equinox. Don't let that bother you. Look at page 18 for service maintenance intervals.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!