SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Vue Daddy
Vue Daddy is on a distinguished road

Default Random Heavy Front End in Shake when Brakes applied

I have some front brake issues. I have a 2004 VUE FWD 3.5L I bought new and now have approximately 334K miles on it. Just finished another timing belt and water pump.

I have front brake issues. I upgraded rotors and pads from EBC this summer because of the situation. Everyone has said warped rotors forever. However, in October 2012 I changed out pads/rotors and the pads barely looked used. I assumed warped rotors. There is a major shake of the front end when brakes applied at times. It seems random too.

The only consistency I can find is that I have never replaced the Right Rear ABS Sensor which I know has been bad for two years. I was curious if that might have anything to do with it? I have the sensor and ready to replace it anyway. I just can't believe some of my front pads have looked like little wear when replacing. And I replaced thinking warped rotors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue Daddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue Daddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Random Heavy Front End in Shake when Brakes applied

does the speed(s) at which you notice the shudder ever occur in the same range?

guesses : worn tie rod ends, maybe cupped/worn front tires and/or hub bearings..

ANy new suspension components up front?
swaybar bushinngs links, struts?.

Have you jacked up the front/set on stands and tried to shake/move stuff?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Vue Daddy
Vue Daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
does the speed(s) at which you notice the shudder ever occur in the same range?

"I have not noticed anything similar about speed range...That is what stumps me..."

guesses : worn tie rod ends, maybe cupped/worn front tires and/or hub bearings..

"I started wondering about the tie rod ends as well....New tires recently can't be it...one new bearing but this was an issue before bearing started making noise earlier this summer..."

ANy new suspension components up front?
swaybar bushinngs links, struts?.

"I put new bar end links on a couple of years with no issues. "

Have you jacked up the front/set on stands and tried to shake/move stuff?
" I have not jacked it up and shook anything yet. I think that is what I will do though now. I might buy new Stabilizer Bar bushings and end links too to take care of that occasional clunking. "

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue Daddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue Daddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vue Daddy View Post
I have some front brake issues. I have a 2004 VUE FWD 3.5L I bought new and now have approximately 334K miles on it. Just finished another timing belt and water pump.

I have front brake issues. I upgraded rotors and pads from EBC this summer because of the situation. Everyone has said warped rotors forever. However, in October 2012 I changed out pads/rotors and the pads barely looked used. I assumed warped rotors. There is a major shake of the front end when brakes applied at times. It seems random too.

The only consistency I can find is that I have never replaced the Right Rear ABS Sensor which I know has been bad for two years. I was curious if that might have anything to do with it? I have the sensor and ready to replace it anyway. I just can't believe some of my front pads have looked like little wear when replacing. And I replaced thinking warped rotors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Billysvue posted good thoughts - including questioning condition of tires.

Do you feel pulsating brake pedal when front end shakes?

If problem is rotor related - more often caused by deposits from brake pads than warped rotors - pulsing will be present most anytime brakes are applied.

I can't make a case for anything sway-bar related as most drivers wouldn't know the difference if the sway bar is disconnected from struts.

I think I'd look a little deeper since you have 334,000 miles on the little guy.

The top of struts (and mounts) are anchored to body through the strut towers and everything else is tied to the engine/transmission/suspension "cradle" which is held to body/frame by four large bolts.

If shake only happens randomly my prime suspects would be things that wear out such as struts and mounts, ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rod ends, etc.

I think you would be on right track if you elevated the vehicle and used a pry bar to test movement of spindles with relation to control arm and steering linkage.

Its especially important to make sure the "cradle" is solidly in place. I've found cradle bolts with a good percentage of shank rusted away and another member actually had to replace the cradle due to severe corrosion (rust).

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

Mine developed a brake shudder above 40mph; when I inspected the brakes the pads looked almost new. Swapped out the rotors and the shudder went away. Note; the condition of the hub is crucial in how long the rotors will last as any corrosion will cause run out and leave deposits from the pads on them and the shudder will be back. The lesson: if the hubs aren't true the rotors won't be true(ie run out will be excessive). Best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
FINCH
FINCH is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I have always spent a little more on the rotors and pads and got the heavy duty ones due to the fact that i find the cheap ones are too thin or just can't handle the heat while braking of the vehicle. It seems the brakes are beefy enough for the vehicle it was made for. Kinda like my old Caravan. A little now or a lot later i guess.

As for the pulsating, if the front end it tight, and happens when you apply the brakes and feel it in the steering wheel then it is more than likely the rotors.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FINCH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FINCH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FINCH is offline   Reply With Quote