SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
YKDavid
YKDavid is a jewel in the roughYKDavid is a jewel in the roughYKDavid is a jewel in the rough

Default 93 SL1 sputtering

I bought my car a few months ago and I have done a lot of work to it since then, but I'm stuck on this one. I was driving the other day and noticed my idle was a little off, It made a kinda spiting sound and feel. I thought it maybe was the T/B Injector doing this so I bought some GUMOUT High Mileage Fuel Injector Cleaner for the car and all seemed fixed and the car even idled a bit smother as well. But the next day the car started to spit again and now the car would lose power while driving. (a sorta running out of gas feel) but the car never turn off it would keep going almost like I was just stomping on the gas and then quickly removing my foot randomly. Today I bought a new fuel filter to try and remedy the problem I put it on and things seemed a tiny bit better. but the problem still remains

New things I'v put on or in the car
Head Gasket
Timing Chain
Water Pump
O2 Sensor
Rear Hub
Brakes
2 Motor oil changes
Transmission Fluid
some Fuses

next on my list is try a new fuel Pump. [not cheap]

Has this happened to anyone else before? if so what fixed it?

1993 Saturn SL1 1.9 SOHC TBI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YKDavid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YKDavid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YKDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 93 SL1 sputtering

Mileage? Without any history of the car a short list of possibilities; clogged catalytic converter, faulty original (two-wire) coolant sensor, low compression, worn out throttle body. Search threads about identifying the coolant sensor, removing the front O2 sensor for checking for a blocked exhaust system, using a compression gauge, and rebuilding the throttle body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
YKDavid
YKDavid is a jewel in the roughYKDavid is a jewel in the roughYKDavid is a jewel in the rough

Dizzy Re: 93 SL1 sputtering

its got a new cat. millage is ???, it stop working before I got it the car, maybe 120,000.??? I put a new temp sensor in last month. I took a look at the throttle body seems to be working the same as usual.

I will likely get a another Pump tomorrow, I'll try to keep you guys posted

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help YKDavid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It may not be a pump issue and a fuel pressure gauge is better at monitoring pump operation before replacing one.

A throttle body injector uses a built-in fuel pressure regulator (rubber diaphragm) that's replaceable along with a worn out injector. Some leak as the engine's idling, spewing out more fuel than necessary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
YKDavid

Dizzy Re: 93 SL1 sputtering

When I was checking out the TB I saw the injector misting properly. I just drove the car and It seems like I can't get past 35mph without a long flat stretch of road. It eventually gets up speed but it seems like I'm working with a small amount of fuel and if I try to go faster It doesn't. also get a lean smell. A lot of random fumbling but it stays running. :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A lean mixture would show up as blistered spark plugs, white. A rich running engine would show as black plugs. Oil from poor ring seal would be wet black plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
YKDavid

my plugs show a tan color.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Tan indicates good fuel mixtures - neither rich nor lean. Continue troubleshooting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
YKDavid

Question Re: 93 SL1 sputtering

Put the new fuel pump in and it ran good for about a minute then same old S#IT. Now I'm thinking the "gas is the reason" I emptied my tank and it had about 7 gallons of gas in it then after I put the new pump on I put 3 of those old gallons back in.

IDK whats up

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Compression?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
YKDavid

Happy Re: 93 SL1 sputtering

Just noticed a leak behind the tbI think the Fuel Pressure Regulator has a break or a hole in it. I would post a pic but the site won't let me so...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Which temp sensor did you get (part number) and which place did you put it in?
'91-'95's use 2 sensors that are fairly easy to interchange even though they work very differently (and have different connectors that people manage to ignore & force onto the wrong part). The one that affects the engine use's the lower hole with the 2 wire connector, same as the air intake temp sensor and the auto transmission temp sensor (you can test the fit with those connectors to verify you've been given the right part).

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKDavid View Post
Just noticed a leak behind the tbI think the Fuel Pressure Regulator has a break or a hole in it. I would post a pic but the site won't let me so...
There are members that have posted pictures with less than the minimum posts required. Are you first creating a *.jpg pic then using the attachment feature when making a post?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
YKDavid

Thumbs Up Re: 93 SL1 sputtering

since my last post I'v fixed the car.

In my last post I thought it might be a Fuel Pressure Regulator, I took it off and took a look and it was fine. Then I noticed a Backfire when sudden throttle was applied so Thought to check my coil pack. I found that one of the wiring plug hold clips was broke but the connector was still in fine. Next I thought to put the old spark plugs [from my last tune up] back in and to rule out the plugs. When I put the old plugs in, the car ran great again.

So I drove the car around with the old plugs in to make sure and had no problems.

Later I went to O'Reilly's to get new plugs. I had to wait forever but I got a new set of Champions plugs, I put those in and the car is back to good.

The Plugs that failed where Autolite. I even had one break in two during a self check up a month ago.

I figure that one of the plugs had an internal break or melting that caused a delayed spark making my engine sputter. <-- this was kinda weird because it was intermittent, It would run fine then start after a few seconds, then run fine again and so on... I feel like if the car was down a cylinder I would Know but it was up and down randomly.

Anyways the New plugs got my car working fine again and I will stay away from Autolite forever!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Nice troubleshooting. Spark plugs are usually fine out of the box but there are some things to know about them. Since they're made of high temperature ceramics and someone exotic metals to withstand up to 100k miles of engine use, the ceramic insulation can be easily damaged by simply dropping one - like porcelain dishes, dropping one can shatter it. Damaged plugs may not show except for the compression loss or spark jumping to ground instead of across the plug gap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
YKDavid

Cool Re: 93 SL1 sputtering

Yea I hope it stays fixed, this morning I noticed a slight hesitation in the idle. I'll probably go ahead and get new wires soon.

It's also starting to smoke in the mornings, but I think it's normal because of the colder nights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

White smoke is condensation boiling out of our exhaust systems as well as more humid air being ingested and no place to go so it goes out the tail pipe in winter cold weather as steam. Blue smoke is oil. Black is excess fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
LabRat
Advanced Member
LabRat is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
White smoke is condensation boiling out of our exhaust systems as well as more humid air being ingested and no place to go so it goes out the tail pipe in winter cold weather as steam. Blue smoke is oil. Black is excess fuel.
A side note here - water (H20) is one of the two products of ideal, complete combustion of hydrocarbons like gasoline (the other being CO2) so it is always present in exhaust.

Now Back to our regularly scheduled discussion of exhaust color...

-LR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LabRat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LabRat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
YKDavid

Happy Re: 93 SL1 sputtering

I'm sure just condensation. It goes away after a couple miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
A side note here - water (H20) is one of the two products of ideal, complete combustion of hydrocarbons like gasoline (the other being CO2) so it is always present in exhaust.

Now Back to our regularly scheduled discussion of exhaust color...

-LR
Love the humor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!