SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Moskvitch
Moskvitch has a spectacular aura aboutMoskvitch has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default Exhaust: Options?

Hi all,

I know this is something that has been gone over time and time again, but bear with me please.

Here is my situation: my exhaust is rusting out quite badly (Canadian winters hooray!). i suspect it will start to leak shortly. I am therefore looking for a replacement, here are the options im debating:

A) Purchase a cat back system
B) Get a muffler shop to make me a custom 2 or 2.25" system
C) Buy an oem equivalent system

I wouldnt mind something a little louder than stock. I find the OBX (Of the videos i've seen) to be a bit too loud. I heard it is a copy of the Thermal R&D, is the Thermal any quieter?

Any other options? if not, what do you guys suggest? I dont care much for performance, i know im not going to squeeze much out of this engine. I care more about a durable and nice sounding replacement.

Any advice is welcome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moskvitch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moskvitch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moskvitch is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
Default Re: Exhaust: Options?

I bought an OBX catback when I did my engine rebuild. It cost about half of the Thermal R&D one and it is also stainless with good quality welds. When I decided to get the OBX I found that the Thermal R&D one actually has a 4-5 week waiting period to actually get the unit delivered since they are now made to order. If you want an OBX you can get it from stock on hand from some places. I am not sure about the Thermal R&D's sound but I will say that the OBX is significantly louder than stock. It has a very good exhaust note and sounds like it actually has power unlike most ricey 4-cylinder exhausts. When you are driving it is not terribly loud below 2500 RPM but if you go above or hit the gas hard it will make some noise. Overall, I think it makes the car sound much nicer so I will say I am quite happy with it.

1995 SC2: Back on the road again after my second engine rebuild in two years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
Moskvitch

2000 SL2

Thanks, pretty much exactly what i needed to know about the OBX,
I think the tone is nice, i like that, but i just feel that it may be a little loud...
I'll think about it.

Now only to hear from someone who has the Thermal R&D.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Moskvitch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Your stock exhaust system is T409 stainless; the pipes will never rust through. Your flex and muffler will rust out and most just weld in new sections.

OBX uses stainless too so you really arenít upgrading, but from what Iíve seen their weld joints are poor so you get what you pay for. If you do just decide to replace just the rusted out sections, search for T409 or T304 stainless exhaust flex and mufflers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskvitch View Post
Thanks, pretty much exactly what i needed to know about the OBX,
I think the tone is nice, i like that, but i just feel that it may be a little loud...
I'll think about it.

Now only to hear from someone who has the Thermal R&D.
I have the thermal and the amount of noise is a function of the cams. Stock gets noticeable at 3k and up. Dual intake mod is quieter. I am presently running the mid penn cams and the 2500 and up noise increase is minimal. It never gets sharp tone but does get louder usually not loud enough to cause problems but it all depends on the local law and how much money they need this month.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Moskvitch

2000 SL2

Thanks everyone! Helpful as always OldNuc. i've settled on the Thermal R&D. Does anyone know where it's best to order it from? i saw that No Limit Motorsports has it with free shipping.

And yes, the original pipes are good; but the previous owner of my car had the muffler replaced with a dirt cheap crap replacement and the whole case is falling apart and rusting including the pipe that leads into it.

I figure the Thermal R&D looks really nice, and the price is right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That is who I bought mine from and they were about the lowest cost I could find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

My flex is starting to rot, and will need replacement soon.

Looking at a shorter flex with a glasspack,
the original flex is 12-14 inches long,
more than enough room for a 4 inch flex and 8 inch glasspack...

Muffler and cat will remain...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskvitch View Post
Thanks everyone! Helpful as always OldNuc. i've settled on the Thermal R&D. Does anyone know where it's best to order it from? i saw that No Limit Motorsports has it with free shipping.
Just be warned that they probably do not have stock on hand and it will be about a month before you see it. So order now and get ready to wait. I didn't have time to wait so that is how I ended up with the OBX.

1995 SC2: Back on the road again after my second engine rebuild in two years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Thinking about doing this soon. So other than obx header, thermal r&d cat back exhaust, and walker direct fit cat, are there any other parts needed? Also, I want to use a particular shop, but they said they don't do custom bends. If I got these parts, would it require custom bends? And lastly, how long does it take? Labor is like 65 dollars an hour.

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMacgyver has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

No custom bending would be needed. It would probably take an hour to replace all the piping since all of those parts are bolt on that you listed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
jhonky

1998 SL2

Thanks

http://www.scegaskets.com/SCE-Pro-Co...-p6630177.html

Wasn't sure if I needed some of these. Link doesn'twork but oldnuc posted that a while back in a similar thread on the subject

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
tunedbysaturnsl
tunedbysaturnsl is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Heh, yeah, I had an exhaust system installed on my other car ('97 GST) and they quoted me $150. Done deal I agreed because I knew what kind of "disaster" they were getting into. The system was completely bolt-on, but it took them all day (8 hours) to get it on the car. Lol. The reason being is because, one (maybe two) of the bolts that mount the O2 housing to the exhaust side of the turbo are basically "blind" bolts. So, you can't seem them well enough to get a solid grip on them with a socket and there's not much space to begin with. Top it off as those bolts were probably the original ones, too. So, yeah, $150 was a deal. Lol. They had to weld my catalytic converter in to install it since the system came without and they weren't about to break any laws, but not doing it. (Understandable.)

Back on topic: I, myself, have an OBX exhaust system sitting in the backseat of my SL1 waiting for install. Though I have no intention of cutting the factory one off since I'm going to disconnect the rear subframe when I do it and slide it on out. The catalytic converter bolts are already good to go from when I had to take a saw-all to them during the powertrain swap back in the spring. If I'm lucky, I'll go to the junkyard and score me an S*2 subframe with the sway bar and swap that in at the same time. (Double win.)

1995 Saturn SL1 "Abby"-Powertrain Swap Completed. Running As Of 07/27/2013
1997 Mitusbishi GST "Phoebe"

Looking For:
Saturn Blimp plush
Homecoming Saturn Logo "Lost Form Cast" piece

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tunedbysaturnsl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tunedbysaturnsl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tunedbysaturnsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
jhonky

1998 SL2

http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=952 or

http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1797

If I had to guess I'd say the more expensive one, both look like the same except one is in 2 pieces

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

For the OBX you need the copper gasket and you will have to call them to get it punched out. OBX header lower flange SCE copper gasket (http://www.scegaskets.com/ ) part number 9400, used in Nissan SR20

Replace the 3 lower flange bolts and nuts with the largest diameter fine thread bolt you can find, use a flat washer on each side and torque to max. Put a paper thin coat of high temp Ultra Copper or Red TRV on both sides of the copper gasket. After torquing the lower flange adjust the lower support bracket to just touch the cold pipe, then clamp. If the OEM band clamp is toast you can use a couple of these.part 5661K12 http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/282/=ofnij7 Just snug up by hand over a couple days of use until actually tight. They have to conform to shape with a couple of heat-cool cycles. If that flange leaks either between pipes or to the environment the mixture will go south on you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
jhonky

1998 SL2

i'm taking this to a shop to get this done. they would know to do those things with the biggest fine thread bolt, paper thin rtv right?

i am big on clarity, so its http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=952, thermal r&d cat back exhaust, walker direct fit cat, part no 9400 copper gasket, and 2 OEM clamp 5661k12, and thats it? no other parts for me to bring to the shop?

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
codyas
codyas is on a distinguished road

if you want pipe to last a while.... get custom brass pipes made....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to codyas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help codyas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
codyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonky View Post
i'm taking this to a shop to get this done. they would know to do those things with the biggest fine thread bolt, paper thin rtv right?

i am big on clarity, so its http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=952, thermal r&d cat back exhaust, walker direct fit cat, part no 9400 copper gasket, and 2 OEM clamp 5661k12, and thats it? no other parts for me to bring to the shop?
Those hose clamps are not OEM they are just heavy duty and if not destroyed by improper assembly they work to hold the pipe to the support bracket. I think you have all the parts you need. Be sure that the cat either connected to the head pipe with a lap joint band clamp or welded. It can not leak. The clamps will have to be ordered from McMaster Carr. Your parts list is complete.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #19
jhonky

1998 SL2

ok. thanks for all the part numbers and advice. think i'll order today and help the economy a little bit

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #20
Moskvitch

2000 SL2

So i ordered my Thermal exhaust today, pretty excited to get it even though i know it'll probably be another while, as Chub mentioned.

I'm especially jealous since my dad and I just put in a beautiful Tanabe cat back on his G35...

OldNuc, how long did it take you to receive it from No Limit motorsport?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!