SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Low freon

My AC in 3 weeks went from great to barely working. Threw on the gauges and read about 20 on the low and 120 on the high. Definitely low readings... The high and low access ports are very accessible on the VUE. Low on the left and High on the right...

I added ~12oz of 134a and got the low up to 40 psi. Both needles were still at the same angles, so nothing horrible is wrong.

I will be looking for a leak when the temps cool off in a few months... At idle the center stack temp was around 40 degrees.

At 39k miles the Honeymoon must be over... LOL...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Low freon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
At 39k miles the Honeymoon must be over... LOL...
I had to add a can of Freon to my '07 this summer at 76k mi.
I'll let you know if I find the leak.
I know my '03 needs a compressor. I just purchased a vacuum pump so now I can do that job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Will do Chaz... We're back to normal. It gets phenomenally cold at low fan speed and driving in the morning when it's 82 outside...

You know you need to warm it up or roll down the window when your face gets numb...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Ultra-low temperatures can damage the AC system.

If your thermometer is correct (reading 26F) - and road speed is greater than 5 MPH at that reading - the TXV temperature sensor is: (1) incorrectly installed, (2) bad, (3) failing, (4) wiring to BCM has a problem, or (5) BCM circuitry has a problem.

Loss of refrigerant could be one sign of damage caused by system operating with out of range temperatures ... and a refrigerant leak possibly caused by minor evaporator core rupture (freeze-up).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TXV Temp Sensor.jpg (122.8 KB, 10 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Since it's been like this for 7 years, I don't believe its causing any damage. The compressor is not cycling, I don't believe any components are being damaged. I really like its performance.

Possibly the duct thermometer is not accurate, but I bet its not that far off. It's been the best mobile ac/freezer I ever owned. Lol.

Thx for looking up the docs. I will verify the duct thermometer with a temp probe that came with one of my DVM's.

I'd like to buy a vacuum pump for ac work. Would a 2.5 cfm unit be adequate for auto work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-...ump-98076.html

Maybe fdryer knows? It's only for occasional use, so I rather not invest more than necessary.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Why wait to look for leaks. The car shipped with dye. Get a black light a look for your leak.
Your temperature is reading too cold. Most likely indicates a blockage in the air flow. You probably have some debris on the evap. In a healthy Vue the fan will more than blow your hair back.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I'd like to buy a vacuum pump for ac work. Would a 2.5 cfm unit be adequate for auto work?
I have a 2.5 cfm - bought for personal use and it does fine - not from HF but after looking at various products I suspect most are created by same back-street shop in a far and distant land.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
. . . but after looking at various products I suspect most are created by same back-street shop in a far and distant land.
You're right F2G - my Robinair was made there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
You're right F2G - my Robinair was made there.
Chuck - man you got a Cadillac pump! Are you in the business?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
......I'd like to buy a vacuum pump for ac work. Would a 2.5 cfm unit be adequate for auto work?

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-...ump-98076.html

Maybe fdryer knows? It's only for occasional use, so I rather not invest more than necessary.
Personally, my opinion doesn't mean squat. There are more than enough members here with experience to provide a consensus and in the end you buy what you can afford that's more or less mainstream as long as its an electric vacuum pump. No venturi (compressed air type) junk.

As an aside, one or two members found their HF fuel pressure gauges leaked and one review for the HF vacuum pump failed on first use. A 35yr old Robinair R12 manifold gauge set was my go-to tool until R134a came along. I bought what I thought was a decent auto store manifold set. What a mistake that was; worked once or twice and never worked well afterwards, requiring fiddling with poorly made coupler fittings until I realized my mistake and replaced it. A Robinair 134a manifold and coupler set are my tools of choice, for reliability. A junked refrigerator motor served as my vacuum pump for years but I now have a used commercial quality vacuum pump in my tool crib.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Chuck - man you got a Cadillac pump! Are you in the business?
It was only $150 (Model 15300). Not the top of the line, but more than what I needed considering how often it will get used. I got it to install a mini-split A/C system and hopefully do some occasional car repairs. But Robinair may not be the Cadillac anymore. This review on Amazon:

2.0 out of 5 stars - Right out of the box, and filling with oil to correct level, it ran for three seconds and locked up. It did this ever time it was switched on. I sent it back. Another good name tool ruined by using Chinese made equipment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I think generally people have reported good experiences with the HF pump. I've used mind at least a dozen times without problem.
My HF gauges have been fine but they're inexpensive enough to replace if they go bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
BobbyP
Master Member

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

A friend on mine, AC mechanic, had a fantastic set of liquid filled manifold gauges. Probably cost $800+, but he needs to rely on them daily.

If you are not in the business where you need to rely on a tool daily for your living, I don't see the need to buy commercial grade tools. I might go 5 years and not use a manifold gauge. I didn't even own a set of R134a gauges until 2 months ago and bought a set from Harbor Freight. Used them 3 times in 2 days with great results.

The gauges from HF have a sight glass on them, and a place to store the hi and low quick connectors on side of the manifold. IMO quite a deal for ~$50.

I will get a black light and look for the leak soon. I hate a mystery... I will find other devices to verify my duct thermometer, it may be off 5-10 degrees. Even the VUE has quite a good AC system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Very true. I get in the same discussions with aircraft mechanics. If a tool fails after only 100 usages its crap to them. But to me that's good enough. No reason to pay several times over for more than I need.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!