SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Saturn Problems
Buy a new MAP sensor 1 100.00%
Buy a new car 0 0%
go back to a mechanic 0 0%
drive it until the wheels quit turning 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
jgarza05
jgarza05 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy SL 99' code P0171

Tracking down problem for engine stall in idle.

Replaced a lot of small parts: fuel pump, intake manifold gasket, O2 sensor, spark plugs, wires, ignition coil. Car runs better, longer before this initial problems returns.

Received code P0171... havent got the code back since replacing the fuel filter, but the car will still shut off during long idle. Also, the engine feels stressed more , turns off more, if the air conditioner is turned on.

P0171 indicated fuel pressure issue, mass air flow sensor (is the map sensor the equivalent to the Massairflow sensor?)

I'm running out of ideas, but am willing to try to replace the MAP sensor. I do not have the tools to test it myself. Should I just get a new one?

Any ideas? Any help? AGhhhhh... Good Grief. Im trying not to buy a new car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jgarza05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jgarza05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jgarza05 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: SL 99' code P0171

Before tossing parts at it check the fuel pressure, 45-51psi at idle. What brand of filter/regulator did you use?

What brand and part number fuel pump?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
jgarza05
jgarza05 is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry, I didn't change my fuel pump. I changed my fuel filter. the filter was the cheapest at AutoZone. it actually fixed the problem for a couple of days, but then the car would die at low long idle once again.

I had been throwing parts at it and I didn't want to buy an expensive part, unless it was the last part to buy.

I forgot to write that the problem diminishes, not entirely, when the gas tank is more than half full.

thanks for the reply.

I don't have the tools to test the fuel pressure, should I take it to a mechanic or should I buy one at AutoZone?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jgarza05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jgarza05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jgarza05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

I would suspect from history here that the filter/regulator you purchased for minimum money is your problem, or a large part of it. Get the correct part installed before buying test equipment. The WIX 33731 or NAPA 3731 filter is the OEM filter and it does function correctly. You may order one from RockAuto at about the lowest price and have it in 3 days or so depending on your location. Just use the part number look up at RockAuto, http://www.rockauto.com/

Follow these instructions for the RockAuto discount.

Your discount code is: 166241578928692

Using Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your parts order total. Orders using discount codes must be placed online. Phone orders are not eligible for discounts.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. Code must be entered before order is submitted to receive discount.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on October 13, 2013; so don't wait!

Until you know you have correct fuel pressure you will be getting nowhere with this code. Fuel pumps usually die when moving and not at idle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote