SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
NJShoreSaturn
NJShoreSaturn is on a distinguished road

Default 2006 Saturn Relay AC Drain ~ Saturated Floors Upfront

Howdy folks, I'm a newbie on this site, but have been an avid Saturn owner since 1995.

Upon doing some research, I believed I learned the answer to my soaking wet floors upfront on both the driver & passenger sides. However, trying to locate the drain hose has been fruitless, as I haven't had much luck in finding it. I did lift up the carpets upfront & could actually scoop up water by hand to toss out.

I really want to get this problem resolved, as my wife has a serious mold allergy & mold will develop soon should I not address the problem.

I really don't feel like shelling out $200 for a tech to do it for me, considering i got waffled for $700 last month in replacing all of the rotors & brakes.

Any help in locating the drain plug would be appreciated!

Thanks from LBI New Jersey.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJShoreSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJShoreSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJShoreSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2006 Saturn Relay AC Drain ~ Saturated Floors Upfront

All a/c drain valves allowing condensate a way to drain away instead of pooling inside the HVAC box are usually by the firewall, below the four inlet/outlet lines for hot coolant and refrigerant. Its just a small rubber duck valve, allowing water to drain out and close to prevent insects from crawling in. These rubber valves are right angle designs. Just look carefully until you find it then gently poke the valve open with a pencil tip or finger - if the HVAC is retaining water then 'peeing' will occur.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
NJShoreSaturn
NJShoreSaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
All a/c drain valves allowing condensate a way to drain away instead of pooling inside the HVAC box are usually by the firewall, below the four inlet/outlet lines for hot coolant and refrigerant. Its just a small rubber duck valve, allowing water to drain out and close to prevent insects from crawling in. These rubber valves are right angle designs. Just look carefully until you find it then gently poke the valve open with a pencil tip or finger - if the HVAC is retaining water then 'peeing' will occur.
Thanks for the reply. I just looked, but haven't located it. Do I need to go "under" the vehicle to access it? Or is it located higher up & I'm just missing it?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJShoreSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJShoreSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJShoreSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I can't locate any info about this drain and I think you'll have to go under to find it. Using the approximation of the HVAC box from inside, look by the lower firewall area or under. Being a minivan, the drain may be below the HVAC box like shower stall drains, near the center.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
TommyK
TommyK is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
2007 RELAY-3

My '07 is the same way. Water pools on the driver's side and now the passenger side. Under the carpet is a rubber membrane (for lack of a better word) which is backed with foam which is against the floor/firewall metal. The water intrusion is so bad that after removing the lower console panels I see that there is a metal bracket which supports, what appears to be a motion sensor which includes the word "YAW". I suspect it is either part of the traction control or air bag system. The bracket upon which it sits is metal. One of the four legs of this bracket is almost rusted through!

Wherever the water is getting in, it must be traveling through the foam before it exits at the base of the rubber membrane, causing water to pool where the firewall and floor meet.

As this rubber membrane/foam is one piece driver's door to passenger door, then from the floor up to God knows were under the dash. I am contemplating using a utility knife to remove the membrane piecemeal, just to see if I can find out where this drain tube is.

Any help.... any help is greatly appreciated.

I AM DESPERATE!

This design is shared by Chevrolet Uplander, Saturn Relay, Pontiac Montana and Buick Terraza,

While the problem shows up during times of humidity and heavy A/C use, is there a possibility it is rain intrusion?

"If you've got time to breathe, you've got time for music." --- Briscoe Darling

A guitars = chick magnet
A Guitar Hero = guy magnet
You do the math.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TommyK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TommyK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TommyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
d1940u
d1940u is on a distinguished road

2007 RELAY-3

Know your problem. Asked dealer to order rubber drain for A/C. He did and when it came in it was for rear. Took it back and they said none were shown for front. I kept the one ordered and cut in in half (because it was bent the wrong way}and attached a piece of garden hose to make it long enough to reach under car. Attached to lines with wire ties. Car has stayed dry for several months. Before attaching hose I bent a piece of copper tubing and stuck in hole in firewall and blew it out good with air compressor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d1940u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d1940u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d1940u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
henryr79
henryr79 is on a distinguished road

2007 RELAY-3

Those drains are really hard to find. I found mine by putting my van on ramps. It is a fair ways up on the passenger side. I smeared a bunch of silicone on mine with my finger once I found it. There was nothing protruding through the firewall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to henryr79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help henryr79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
henryr79 is offline   Reply With Quote