SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Scouser
Scouser will become famous soon enoughScouser will become famous soon enough

1994 SL1
Default 94 SL1 High Idle with codes 13 and 32

Afternoon all;

I at least have my daughter trained to pull over right away and call me if she detects anything wrong with her 128,000 mile 94 SL1. So earlier this morning I got a call from her saying that the check engine light on and that it was idling high.

I went and pulled the codes and looked them up in the official Saturn service manual at the library. Thirteen maps to O2 Sensor Open/Not Ready. Thirty two maps to EGR system fault.

Has anyone seen the combination of these two codes at the same time before, and do the codes point to something other than the O2 sensor and EGR valve.

FYI: I recently replaced the head gasket, inlet manifold gasket and EGR gasket. I also checked the operation of the EGR valve and O2 sensor recently when I was troubleshooting a different issue, and they seemed to work OK.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scouser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scouser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Scouser

1994 SL1
Default Re: 94 SL1 High Idle with codes 13 and 32

I just went and picked the car up from about 3 miles from the house. The engine has had plenty of time too cool down since she left it there this morning.

Anyway, when I started it, it was idling at about 2,000 rpm. I drove it home using the same route she left this morning. By the time I got home the engine was warm and it was still idling high - about 1,500 rpm. The check engine light never came on again though. It's obviously a bit warmer now than it was then, but the temperature gauge looked normal - about 1/3.

Oh, I also changed the TPS about a month ago. I'm going to let the engine cool down and then check the operation of the EGR valve, the O2 sensor and the TPS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Scouser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With as many posts as you have and no other info related to maintenance/parts replaced, was the two-wire coolant sensor replaced with a brass one? Another source for high idling would be a vacuum leak from lines, old hoses suffering dry rot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
Scouser

1994 SL1

When I was poking around I found that the small hose from the inlet manifold to the MAP sensor had rotted and come loose. $5 for an assortment of small rubber hose connectors and it was as good as new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

...... And did it correct your problems?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote