SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
up north
up north is just really niceup north is just really niceup north is just really niceup north is just really niceup north is just really nice

1999 SW1
1999 SW2
Default EGR valve bolt broken

Good day

I decided to clean my EGR valve on my 98 SL1 and broke the furthest bolt, leaving just a bit of it stiking out, so I heated with acetylene torch around the bolt, PB Blasted it and with my bolt extracting kit I proceded to do so (extracting) but it would not give, my luck my extracting bit broke in the bolt. So my next course of action for me is to bring the car to my favorite mechanic and let a pro do the work. Leaving as is, the motor rev's up to 4100 RPM, so I put back the EGR with a new gasket, tighten the remaining bolt and used a pair of vise grips to hold down the other end. Still the RPM went up. I then tried to block the EGR passage as RICHPIN's soda can trick video. Still the RPM went up. I find very hard to believe that with the remaining bolt and vise grips I have a seal leak on my EGR. Is their an other condition that will make it rev up besides the lack of an EGR valve?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to up north's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help up north reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
up north is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
LabRat
Advanced Member
LabRat is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1999 SL2
Default Re: EGR valve bolt broken

Unrestricted vacuum leak, such as that open EGR port, will cause the over-rev.

-LR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LabRat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LabRat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
up north
up north is just really niceup north is just really niceup north is just really niceup north is just really niceup north is just really nice

1999 SW1
1999 SW2

Thanks for the reply LabRat, I have a bluetooth OBD2 reader with torque software on my android phone. The realtime info gives me -20 PSI at 4100 RPM, I also see the throttle moving when I press the pedal. I got the codes P0522 and P1599.

If I have a vacuum leak where should I check for it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help up north reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
LabRat
Advanced Member
LabRat is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1999 SL2

First place I'd look is where the intake manifold or plenum may have been affected by working on the EGR valve and bolt. If there are no obvious leaks try the spraying along gasket(s) with brake or carb cleaner trick. Also, be sure you've ruled out leakage past the broken bolt. Good Luck!
-LR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LabRat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LabRat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The P522 is not a valid code for a 98 or 99 Saturn. The 1599 is a simple stall. If you used an torch on the aluminum EGR flange it is probably distorted and the gasket will never seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
up north

1999 SW1
1999 SW2

Sorry OldNuc the code was P0562, no link to my problem here, I went easy on the torch, not at all near red hot, just got it very hot, i did not get the sizzeling of PB Blaster when it is sprayed on near red hot iron, just some smoke. I pushed a side the fuel line and kept the flame small and moving a lot so I would not melt or burn any plastic around that area. Putting the valve on its platform it feels flush all around. I do'nt think at least I hope the valve platform was not warped. I did not have a tin can laying around so I used 8 layers of tin foil ( folded 3 times) and a thin piece of cardboard before bolting and vise gripping the valve over it. At daylight I'll inspect the area more carefully. About the reading of -20 PSI I got from the real time data of the Torque software, would that indicate that my vacuum is good. And I should concentrate on the EGR open port.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That is -20 inches Hg vacuum and is good. Get some sheet metal as aluminum foil will not last 15 minutes. You should not need a clamp either even pressure to hold it down will work. The 562 is low system voltage. Charge the battery completely and you may be rid of the high idle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote