SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
mike74
mike74 is on a distinguished road

Default strange idle sound from 02 Vue

Prior to this, my car sounded normal, I have a 2002 saturn Vue, 4cyl ecotech with manual trans. this morning when I started it to go to work, it sounded strange, but it drove fine, no overheating, or sluggish, shifted fine too, and when i got to work I got out and listened to the engine, at idle, my 4cyl gas engine sounds like a small diesel engine, the sound they make when idling, not sure what could have happened overnight, but I do know my oil was fine, just changed about 2 weeks ago, air filter was clean too, beyond this I really dont know what to look for. And when I drove home, the car ran fine, no problems at all, at stoplights, the car still idles at the same RPM as usual, no running high or low, the only difference is this new idle sound.

I decided to get about 8 gallons of fuel on the way home, in case it was bad gas, and got super this time, drove the rest of the 14 miles home but idle sound was still the same.

I appreciate any suggestions and help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike74 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: strange idle sound from 02 Vue

Mileage? Worn out belt tensioner? It may be seen as a flopping belt at engin idle if the clock spring wears out and the belt pulls the tensioner against its own end stop resulting in metallic tapping sounds. Another technique used in the S-series forums for tensioner testing is to press down on the belt with just your fingers - any large deflection is another sign of a worn tensioner. Something between 30 and 50 pounds of tension is expected for proper belt tensioning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
mike74

The Vue has 97,384 on it. I will do the belt test today and post results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mike74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
mike74

This is strange, when I went out this morning to start it, it as idling fine, the strange sound was gone, I drove it all day and the sound never returned and the car drove fine, just like normal.

Thanks to those that responded and I will post again should this sound come back.

I never realized the 02 Vue does not have serpentine belts!!! LOL As many times as Ive been under the hood, cant believe I never noticed this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!