SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
demoncamber
demoncamber is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default How to correctly wire 12v 40amp relay for air horn system from 3 wire horn connector?

So I bought one of those mild dual tone air horn kits you see for about $50 online, it came with a 12v relay, and I actually took my time and hooked it up easily, it was working for about 4 days, however the two times I've done a full blast for more than 3 seconds, The first time it stopped working for about a good 5 minutes. The second time, 4 days later, it has not begun to work again. I went to go troubleshoot, when I arm the alarm or hit the horn switch, I can hear the relay clicking. Not sure if that's normal or what, but the compressor seems to be getting nothing. Tomorrow I will go and test the compressor by giving it a direct lead to the batt to see if it's operating correctly.

However, in the meantime to double check that I have connected the relay correctly, I have the power lead from the original 3 wire horn connector going to the relay 86. I then have the middle black wire going to the relay 85, and the 3rd outer ground wire grounded to chassis. I then have the other positive lead coming from the battery to the relay 30. then I have the positive lead coming from the relay going to the compressor 87. The compressor is also grounded to chassis.

Any ideas what I did wrong? What to check out and all that?

I'll report back tomorrow after I test the compressor itself.
At first I was confused by the 3 wire connector, hoping for the best after not finding much about how to wire to the relay, first try everything worked. A little bit puzzled now.

Thanks guys!

///M5sc2-126k-5spd-Eagle GT's
-2x Alpine TypeS 12in 1223D -Kenwood KAC8104D -Audiobahn A4401T
-Alpine SPS-600c - Infinity Kappa 62.9I - 1.5f Cap

Last edited by demoncamber; 06-19-2013 at 09:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to demoncamber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help demoncamber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
demoncamber is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: How to correctly wire 12v 40amp relay for air horn system from 3 wire horn connec

There is a 3 terminal horn wiring diagram in my Photo Gallery. The horn button can only be used for a very low current trigger. The relay you have is most likely too low of a coil resistance to allow triggering by the horn buttons. What is the rating of the fuse provided with this horn set?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
demoncamber
demoncamber is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: How to correctly wire 12v 40amp relay for air horn system from 3 wire horn connec

It was the relay, I swapped it to another one I had laying around. I went and read some of the reviews of this airhorn, people stating they've had them working find for 2-3 years, however, they advised 3 things, to glue the horns to the basket, hose clamp the hoses, and replace the POS cheap relay they give you.

SO, looks like that was the issue!

Oldnuc, you have the most random but crucial stuff in your photo gallery lol...

///M5sc2-126k-5spd-Eagle GT's
-2x Alpine TypeS 12in 1223D -Kenwood KAC8104D -Audiobahn A4401T
-Alpine SPS-600c - Infinity Kappa 62.9I - 1.5f Cap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to demoncamber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help demoncamber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
demoncamber is offline   Reply With Quote