SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Water leaks into car

Hi,

Last week I had my interior out and found the passenger side floor pan had a considerable amount of water in it. There was a grey foam type material in the footwell running up the firewall that was pretty saturated. It seems logical that the water is entering either behind that foam or higher up the firewall.

I didn't have a chance to try and remove that foam but with all the rain we've been having lately I know there's probably more water making its way into the car and need to takle the leak.

Do these cars have a common place they let water ingress into the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevo420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Water leaks into car

If you have a sunroof, the drains like to clog up and build up water. The front ones are behind the outer kickpanels, you have to remove the door-jam cover and pull out a rubberish plug with a wire harness on it to get to the drain and then pull the drain out to clean it (while allows the water to drain).
Another common spot if the water is from the middle of the car is a leaking heater core (accompanied by a sweet/coolant smell) or the A/C drain. The A/C drain is around where the shifter cable(s) come through the firewall, located in the engine bay. A pipe cleaner or maybe a pencil works for cleaning it.

My '96 leaked water and air around the windshield, I put some RTV on the gap between the windshield & roof...solved both problems in one go

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Another place to check is around the condensate drain for the air conditioner.

It is sealed with the same foam rubber you saw and it deteriorates over time. I resealed mine with rtv between the drain tube and the firewall.

So far so good.

Highmile
'95 SL1 518k and counting

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Yet another common source is the cabin air inlet under the hood up near the windshield on the passenger side. It should have an elliptical donut seal on it. It this is cracked, dry rotted or missing, the cabin will take in water.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
301k 12/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

+1 fetchitfido. Check your coolant level. And pull the sunroof drain hoses out of their fitting, if you have them. I've had both leak on me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #6
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
Yet another common source is the cabin air inlet under the hood up near the windshield on the passenger side. It should have an elliptical donut seal on it. It this is cracked, dry rotted or missing, the cabin will take in water.
This would be one of the first and easiest items to check, and a very common failure point given the adhesive dries out on the foam donut/mesh sandwich of the vent cover. Easy to fix too -- just reglue with something more permanent, like clear silicone caulk.

The other posts are also very real possibilities but involve a bit more work/sleuthing around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for the pointers, I believe I found the problem last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
This seal was missing. I likely knocked it off when I swapped my motor a couple weeks ago. Thankfully I have a parts car that still had this seal, I RTV'd it to the body. Rained last night and i didn't feel much dampness on the carpet, but the plastic-like coating on the underside of the carpet makes it hard to tell. I'll have to remove the carpet this weekend and see.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevo420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote