SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 11:03 PM   #1
Jammer
Advanced Member
Jammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan
Cool A thought B4 you buy snow tires/wheels.

Just a though if you are going to be purchasing snows in the upcoming month or so for your car.

I was shoping on tirerack.com and did a search for a winter tire package for the wifes ION3. I put in all of the info and found that for tire and a set of steel wheels for the car would cost 556.00 plus shipping. Then I got to thinking, the wheel sor a ION1 are 14's, a more common tire size and a bit cheaper it amounts to 444.00 plus shipping ("recomended" tire/wheel package). I also looked into the same thing for the L300.3 same car and makings but a different tire size will save you a lot. (total came to $468 to our door)

We looked at tires last winter and Goodyear wanted $550 for just the tires on our rims. now we are getting a set of tires mounted on winter rims for less and never have to pay to have them swapped around every season.

Pick your own particular tire dont rely on others (recomendations are nice but dont rely on the solely). You should chose it based on what type of driving and weather you get in your region. I have different tires on all of my cars for there particular driving styles whether it be proformance snows or truck snows on a car.

And as a last note studs are nice but man are they loud in a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2004, 11:32 PM   #2
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

why not just got to the junkyard, get 4 rims for dirt cheap, and buy good tires...Why do people have to have "winter"tires anyway??? Even if you got dubs on your whip, keep your stock stuff

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 12:08 AM   #3
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

my winter tires are the stock tires and steelies and hubbies, spring, summer, fall got my rims on

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swoker183's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swoker183 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:25 AM   #4
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Winter tires eh? I drive about 60,000km a year and run all-season radials. The people I see buying winter tires the most around me are the same ones that buy the cheapest off-brand tires out there.

Spend the $$ for a decent set of all seasons, and take your time in the winter, and there should be no problem.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:40 AM   #5
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Ice, snow, and slush cannot be handled by any all season tire as well as a dedicated winter tire. It all depends on your needs and driving habits. I drive 75 km round trip every day on a highway to work. I don't drive any faster with winter tires, but I drive much more securely. Don't underestimate winter tires unless you've used them under adverse conditions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:47 AM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

for winter i have a set of (m+s) dunlop d60-a2 in the oe 195/60-15 size on the stock geartooth alloy wheels. for spring-summer-fall i use "plus one" 16-inch wheels and 205/50-16 kumho ecsta supra "summer" tires. if you're an autocrosser running in a street tire class like STS, summer tires are the way to go during the solo season.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:11 AM   #7
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

I love my Blizzaks on 14" stock steelies during the winter.

The 70 series sidewall and shorter width gives me extra cushiness and they bite down in the snow better than stock tires.
Only thing is when I drive on a curved grated bridge (even on dry ground), I slide into the other lane in no time if I don't take it easy.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:30 AM   #8
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

^^^ Ya, I slide on rail road crossongs when they on turns...but still, I use one set of tires, maybe its just cause im poor.

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:42 AM   #9
saturnguy0077
saturnguy0077 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Jammer

If you did purchase the 14" wheels and tires for your wife’s ION 3
Please understand it will handle slightly different than what you are used to since ION 3 are tuned with there 16" wheel in mind ION 2 with there 15" etc. I just wanted to be sure you know this for both you and your wife’s safety. The largest difference will be felt at higher speeds when turning, also be aware it will take longer to stop with these smaller tires since you do not have as much rubber in contact with the road. I hope that you took this all in to consideration have a safe winter would not want to lose a fellow Saturnfan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnguy0077's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnguy0077 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:57 AM   #10
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Winter tires? What are they for? Oh yeah, I forget that some people have to drive in snow more than once every three years.

I just ordered summer tires for my new rims. If by some odd chance I have to drive in snow/ice this year, I will just put my factory rims and all season tires on.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 01:55 PM   #11
quasar
quasar is on a distinguished road

1991 SC
1997 SW2

I have never driven any Saturn with winter tires and I live in WA. state. I buy the best M&S and have them siped. Only time I got stuck is when the snow was so deep I bottomed out. Snow tires and studs wouldn't have done any good. We are on the verge of outlawing studs out here due to road damage. Most of the cars in the ditch out here are 4 wheel drives and that's the truth. They drive them too fast with too much confidence in them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quasar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quasar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2004, 03:21 PM   #12
Jammer
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Yah, if you do get a different tire size such as a set of winters with a larger sidewall your handeling will be vastly different. If not from the amount of traction difference than from the sidewall flex. It is a factor that you have to remember for the first few weeks of driving.

And all season tires are nice since you can drive them all year long but I prefer to have two sets for the seasons. If you have ever had the chance to compair directly the amount of tracton difference between a set of good all seasons vs. a set of good snows then they are worth the investment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:26 PM   #13
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

I have four former spare tires purloined from underneath 4 junkyard vans. They serve me well all year and were made between 1992 and 1994-and all have 2/32"-4/32" of tread. I've never gotton stuck or lost control, even in ice storms and blizzards.

My point is-it's 95% driver and about 5% tire that keeps your tail on the road. Don't waste good money on snow tires, friends

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:24 AM   #14
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

I still have the same set of $50/pop Uniroyals I've had for two years, and other than changing the pressure, I haven't done a thing to them since they were put on. It only snows maybe 5-10 times a year here, but still... I guess I'd be more concerned with handling if I was racing, not commuting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:44 AM   #15
Jammer
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Yes, moparnut, erick295, 5% tire and 95% driver but do rally driver ride around on slicks? no, they choose a tread that suits the course. You have to utalize all that you can. Not saying that I would treat snowy roads like a rally course or anything but if you can have a 50% increase in winter traction with snow tires why not? (set aside the cost. $468 over 3 years of winter driving is rather cheap for the benafits you can gain.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2004, 08:46 AM   #16
quasar
quasar is on a distinguished road

1991 SC
1997 SW2

One thing that hasn't been brought up. If a tire has an "A" rating for traction it doesn't matter whether so called all-season or winter. The stopping distance under adverse conditions has to fall into a certain distance. The only advantage a winter tire has is if it has studs on it. And actually studs are worse on glare icy roads. Read up on it in professional mags.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quasar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quasar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #17
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Geez, just buy my four 14" steelies for shipping plus $50.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #18
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Jammer
Not saying that I would treat snowy roads like a rally course or anything
I do! In a minivan, no less Picked my username for a good reason...hehe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:05 PM   #19
Bsmith
Bsmith is on a distinguished road

Heh my winter tires are 33x12.50x15s on my pickup. If it snows more than 4" I drive it. If it's less than that I drive the SC2. I also know that 4x4 can and will get you in the ditch faster than a slow and steady pace, the extra ground clearance is nice though. THe wonderful streets department always always leave nice berms of snow at the entrances to the subdivision.

Sold it when I moved. sniff... sniff....
'95 SC2 funky rootbeer color. Yes I know black gold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bsmith's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bsmith reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:41 PM   #20
y2chuck
Advanced Member
y2chuck is on a distinguished road

I was thinking of getting winter tires for our VUE this year. It handled like crap in the snow last year, but Toronto only gets a handful of really bad snow days so I might not bother.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to y2chuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help y2chuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread