SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Rodger
Rodger is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Front Spoiler

Hola All

Is there a advantage to having The Front OEM Spoiler vs not having one ?

Rodger and Gabby
COS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rodger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rodger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Re: Front Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Hola All

Is there a advantage to having The Front OEM Spoiler vs not having one ?

Rodger and Gabby
COS
it scoops up air for the radiator. it always draws a major debate if it really does any good, but the way I figure it, the engineers installed it for a reason so I keep mine...

as a matter of fact I just installed new spring retainers so it doesn't fall off which it almost did...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
magician22773
magician22773 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL

I can't speak for a Saturn, but I learned the hard way that an 84 Z-28 really needs the air damn.

Many moons ago (thats about 20 years, in non-Indian speak), I ended up lowering my '84 Z-28 to the point where the air dam started to rub, so I just popped it off. I was at a car show, middle of a midwest summer, about 100 miles from home. I could not keep the car cool. And this car never, ever had mechanical issues before. I finally got it limped home, and my mechanic schooled me on how important air dams are for cars that do not have grille openings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magician22773's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magician22773 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magician22773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

I've never noticed a difference on our '95 SL1. It's been off a few times, once for several months. I put it back on though. If anything I would think that it might help in the lower speed stop and go type stuff.

With the warmer running preferred aftermarket thermostat the car is much closer to heat soaking the cooling system, and the temp comes up much quicker on really hot days stuck in traffic. I'd imagine in those conditions any extra air you can grab doing those 10-15 MPH crawls gives some assistance.

I think next thermostat swap I'm going back to the cooler thermostat that runs in the OEM range, and I'll probably do the multi speed fan controller at some time as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft has a spectacular aura aboutbumpdraft has a spectacular aura aboutbumpdraft has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
I think next thermostat swap I'm going back to the cooler thermostat that runs in the OEM range, and I'll probably do the multi speed fan controller at some time as well.
Yes! I have a fan switch down by my calf that I turn on whenever the temp gage even approaches 1/2 scale.

I'd like for the switch to run the fan at a slower speed so the fan doesn’t roar.
(That might or might not be asking a lot which is why I have not messed with it!)

10 Lb. Competition Clutch Steel Flywheel: 8 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Yes! I have a fan switch down by my calf that I turn on whenever the temp gage even approaches 1/2 scale.

I'd like for the switch to run the fan at a slower speed so the fan doesn’t roar.
(That might or might not be asking a lot which is why I have not messed with it!)
on newer cars the fan has a slow speed which keeps the temps more constant. as far as a fan switch goes I just let the car turn on the fan all by itself & not worry about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician22773 View Post
I can't speak for a Saturn, but I learned the hard way that an 84 Z-28 really needs the air damn.

Many moons ago (thats about 20 years, in non-Indian speak), I ended up lowering my '84 Z-28 to the point where the air dam started to rub, so I just popped it off. I was at a car show, middle of a midwest summer, about 100 miles from home. I could not keep the car cool. And this car never, ever had mechanical issues before. I finally got it limped home, and my mechanic schooled me on how important air dams are for cars that do not have grille openings.
a beast like that needs all the cooling it can get. the Saturn runs pretty cool....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post

Do a search... I think DIYguy is running a variable speed controller. I can't remember if he adapted it from another car or did the full DIY version. Not nearly as complex as some think.

With the OEM thermostat in our single cammer it was rare to get over 1/2 on the gauge... and that is with the older version higher reading gauge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
Rodger
Rodger is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Hola All

I went and did some Front Spoiler Research.

1. All front Spoilers "Split The Air" to be routed around the vehicle vs
the air being forced to be plowed/ shoved under the vehicle ( think of
a boat vs a ole style barge ).

This effect causes a higher top speed, a less fuel usage ( think of
any NASCAR - Drag - Rallye/ Sprint Vehicle ) and less having the vehicle
nose rise as speed increases ( this is what happed with The First Series
Dodge Charger's at NASCAR Races in 1966-67 ).

2. All Saturns that have a Front Spoiler have the same parts as non-
Front Spoilers other than four springs and the spoiler.

How effective The Saturn Front Spoiler towards a "Saturn" MPG Enhancement or a Top Speed Increase is not known - by me.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rodger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rodger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Do a search... I think DIYguy is running a variable speed controller. I can't remember if he adapted it from another car or did the full DIY version. Not nearly as complex as some think.

With the OEM thermostat in our single cammer it was rare to get over 1/2 on the gauge... and that is with the older version higher reading gauge.
The DIYguy system is not soft start, just lower speed start. There are soft start - speed determined by temperature controllers you can install. I have one installed and find it to be a nice addition. These types of controllers require some rater involved modifications. The simple fan on / fan off type of controller is simple to install and just maintains the average coolant temp closer to the thermostat opening point temperature.

As the controller installed on my car the A/C comes on at 50% of max RPM and holds slightly above thermostat open except in parking lot traffic in August then it ramps up to close to max RPM on the fan as temp increases. With A/C off and any conditions that would result in an increasing temp I have it set to turn the fan on at 207F and it holds the temp within 2F increasing of that initial on temp and shuts off at 205F decreasing. The 207F temp is just below 1/2 so the system operates between just above 3/8 to just below 1/2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The purpose of that lip is to increase the air pressure in front of the radiator and reduce it behind the radiator to increase the air flow through the radiator and A/C condenser primarily to improve A/C efficiency at low vehicle speeds. The Gen-1 and Gen- 2 and 3 front structure design is different and the actual need for this enhancement depends on the environment and driving conditions. For the majority of owners of Gen-2 and 3 cars this is the Saturn equivalent of your Appendix.

Quote:
Hola All

How effective The Saturn Front Spoiler towards a "Saturn" MPG Enhancement or a Top Speed Increase is not known - by me.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Hola All

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Being you live in an area with a lot of large hills, you can easily test the aero drag concepts. Usually to get the "splitter" type results you need larger air dams, but it varies from car to car.

For testing find long hills of a uniform grade, where you can reach "terminal velocity" coasting in neutral. Then do your mod(s) to the air dam. If you can increase speed on a repeatable basis you have increased aerodynamic efficiency at that speed.

Make sure you do ABAB type testing - air dam on, off, on, off - or similar, this would help account for other variables. With the air dams you might even be able to rig up a "quick change" setup for multiple tests on the same day/trip. Also make sure you don't create a setup that might cause harm to the underside of the car.

You could also test on flat ground using X MPH start speed and coast down measuring distance or time to another set speed. This method will also allow some variables to differing speeds and the change they have on aero drag.

I haven't seen any major aero testing on the Saturns really, which is surprising considering the economy minded nature of many owners. With gas prices what they are even a couple percent adds up to fuel savings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!