SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
NotAHondaDriver
NotAHondaDriver is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Thumbs Up New exhaust mods installed on the Ion!

Last night I (with the help of a couple friends) installed a ZZP Shorty Header (discontinued) and a ZZP 2.5" catless downpipe on my Ion and all I can say is WOW. What a noticeable gain in torque! It pulls A LOT harder in the powerband, and it gets up and goes a lot better from a stop or low speed. And I'm still running factory Saturn catback! I'm about to take it to a muffler shop and have them install a Magnaflow muffler, and I may or may not keep the stock resonator. The ZZP header has been painted with heat paint matte black and looks great under the hood, and I got the downpipe for a steal: slightly used for $75! I also bought a "werks racing" stainless header from the same guy, but it turned out to be warped enough to make it not meet up with with the head, so my friend is going to re-mill it and see what we can do about making it work. If we get it in working order I'm going to sell it and pay him for the ZZP header he threw on last minute when we realized the werks header wasn't going to work. I definitely recommend ZZP exhaust parts for your Ion. 35% throttle and you can hear a "whooshing" of exhaust flowing underneath you, it sounds amazing. I'm ordering some Remflex gaskets as they'll seal just about anything, since we had to double paper gasket it last night to keep it sealed. Crappy gaskets are crappy.

Muffler I'm planning on having installed: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=14827

Going to try and have them install it to where the tip sticks out from under the bumper just a bit.

What a tie...

'07 Ion2 5MT :: M62 Supercharged, Long Tube Header/Catless Downpipe, Afro-Engineered Intake, 93 Octane HP Tune.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NotAHondaDriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NotAHondaDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NotAHondaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: New exhaust mods installed on the Ion!

That's why in 07 they put the manifold from the recline on the 2.2. The muffler is not as restrictive as the tubing, fyi.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Wait, why did they put the manifold off the redline on it that year? Also, werks header is done, can't be fixed, but I got what I paid for. And I've noticed since I've been driving it it's gotten a bit louder/more noticeable. And I'm not planning on increasing tube diameter until I go turbo, I'll be ordering an actual catback system. For now I just want sound and gains where I can get them. I'm going to be using an LS4 throttle body and messing with the intake. But my friend Brian is going to be tuning. The CEL is also on as of today, we thought we deleted all of the codes but he told me last night he found something that might get set off by the lack of O2's in the cat and the new system altogether and it has apparently, I'm still waiting to meet up with him and delete this code.

What a tie...

'07 Ion2 5MT :: M62 Supercharged, Long Tube Header/Catless Downpipe, Afro-Engineered Intake, 93 Octane HP Tune.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NotAHondaDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
bmxracerchamp12
bmxracerchamp12 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan

fyi you need a rewire kit or rewire your car. you really dont need a tb that big on a stock car. i would do a 2.4 tb for now.

2004.5 2500HD LT
-Tow Pig

2005 Turbo Ion 3 Sedan
-Lots of mods (parting out)

2004 Honda CBR 1000RR
-Summer toy

1995 Honda CX
-DD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bmxracerchamp12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bmxracerchamp12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bmxracerchamp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Because there are big gains to be had in the first 4 feet of the exhaust on 2.2s. I'll second that the ls4 tb is too big. Since you have an 07, the 2.4 tb might bolt right up, you'll have to try to know for sure. Please let me know if it does and how it works.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
eneloop
eneloop is on a distinguished road

Yes let us know if the 2.4 tb bolts onto the 2.2......oh never mind I have a 2.4L.

All the best
eneloop@yahoo.com

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eneloop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eneloop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eneloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I imagine the LE5 TB would bolt right up, ZZP only sells a pin adapter for the harness, no adapter plates or anything like they have for the LS4. I'll just need to find one now, I was going to do the LS4 just because it was humongous and $75 used. I'll let you know what happens though. And as for zeroing in my timing and leaning out my fuel should go a long way, but my tuner wants me to have a wideband afr gauge to safely tune it.

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
bmxracerchamp12

2005 ION-3 Sedan

i dont see it working. the ls4 is way bigger then the l61 one. i would fear for clearance issues after you go ls4 plus a decent sized adapter to make it work. is it worth the few hundred dollars to have a few more hp? i feel you would get way more gains from going to a 2.5" exhaust with the 2.4 setup. most tuners are lucky to pull a few hp on an lsj using the ls4 over the stock lsj one

2004.5 2500HD LT
-Tow Pig

2005 Turbo Ion 3 Sedan

2004 Honda CBR 1000RR
-Summer toy

1995 Honda CX
-DD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bmxracerchamp12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

With the le5 tb, you can simply bolt on a matching intake. With the lsj or ls4 tb, you would need to overcome wiring, intake manifold, mass airflow, and intake tubing issues,as pointed out, for no gain on an l61. It's actually probably big enough it would only give you bad idle. The le5 tb is easier, comes off an engine with similar power to a well tuned l61 with good bolt ons.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

What you're saying makes sense, especially about fitment issues. ZZP sells an adapter plate for LE5 intakes that allows you to run LSJ TB's, so if for some reason I needed to go bigger I could always try that. I just need to look on eBay or CL for a used LE5 TB now, snd ZZP has a harness adapter too so everything should bolt right up I imagine.

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

careful, you have an 07, it's a completely different engine harness and engine management system than the 06. not sure if the TB is the same or not...

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

E37 PCM iirc. I'll email ZZP they should know what will and won't work... they have so far.

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

No, e37 is the cobalt, we have the same ecu as the 2.4. The e64

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #14
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

We're talking about putting the LS4 back on his LSJ and using his LSJ TB on my car. Thoughts?

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #15
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Talked to Zoomer from ZZP, it seems that the LE5 is the easiest and least complicated TB to do, the LSJ is possible but it'll take some work. LS4 is almost out of the question. The plan right now is to delete the intake silencer and run a K&N Filter since the stock airbox is doing a great job of bringing in air. Then the TB and the muffler. I'm buying a AEM Wideband and a Redline Gauge pod so my tuner can lean it out as much as possible without hurting the engine. The leaner the meaner.

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
bmxracerchamp12

2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAHondaDriver View Post
Talked to Zoomer from ZZP, it seems that the LE5 is the easiest and least complicated TB to do, the LSJ is possible but it'll take some work. LS4 is almost out of the question. The plan right now is to delete the intake silencer and run a K&N Filter since the stock airbox is doing a great job of bringing in air. Then the TB and the muffler. I'm buying a AEM Wideband and a Redline Gauge pod so my tuner can lean it out as much as possible without hurting the engine. The leaner the meaner.
i would watch. zzp doesnt know everything about these cars (most of there focus is on lsj/lnf's). why not throw an actual cai on if your having someone tune it? i would also throw an 2.5" exhaust on. the stock exhaust is way restrictive...

2004.5 2500HD LT
-Tow Pig

2005 Turbo Ion 3 Sedan

2004 Honda CBR 1000RR
-Summer toy

1995 Honda CX
-DD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #17
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Not really...

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #18
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Tuner said I won't get much gain from larger diameter exhaust with what we're doing, it would be more beneficial to get a full catback when I go turbo down the road. Tonight he smoothed out my timing table, disabled the torque management system so I don't get capped at 150ft-lbs, and deleted some more codes my header and DP set off. Did a 40 and 60 roll with a massive exhaust leak (header/dp flange gasket failed) and oh my god it took off. He said after I get the LE5 or LSJ TB and do the intake silencer delete and he tunes it all in it should be a totally different car. I was getting some KR during the first part of tuning this afternoon, so he retarded the timing in my top end to counteract that... funny thing is I was getting KR on the stock tune. He also suggested I run higher octane fuel now that we're playing with timing so I can run more of it. It's on 87 right now, he said 91-93 should be good. The biggest thing I need right now is the AEM UEGO Wideband AFR Gauge. I figure I'll buy the Wideband and a gauge pod and then get that magnaflow muffler, then invest in the go fast parts like the TB. Whenever I pay this thing off it's getting some eBay turbo.

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #19
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I have a problem. Massive exhaust leak on the Header-to-Downpipe flanges. So far we've tried using two gaskets (which worked), and when that failed we (today) tried two new gaskets and Copper RTV Gasket Makign Silicone, which worked until it failed on the way home. What is happening is the flanges are shifting, and I'm not sure how to fix that. I'm thinking off the top of my head that the bolts may be a bit too small of diameter and not fitting snug inside the bolt holes, another may be my flex pipe is too stiff (which I have no idea how I'd fix that). Ideas?

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

When I feasted the exhaust from a redline to my car, it just took a new oem gasket to fix my leak...

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!