SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Long post: Installing leather seat upholstery

Long time since I have posted a new thread. I am mid progress of a project that I think that is worth sharing.

When I went to buy my car, at the time there weren't any vehicles on the lot with a leather interior. A company by the name of Katzkin is a manufacturer of OEM leather seat covers for Dodge/Chrysler as well as aftermarket premium leather seat covers for other vehicle types. Now let me say, these covers do not simply go over the original cloth seat fabric - they completely replace the cloth seat covers. I got a significant deal on the entire set - $245 plus shipping.

Tools needed:

Hog ring pliers
Hog ring clips
Large diagonal cutters
Scissors
Various sockets, torx bits
Flathead and Philips screwdrivers
Patience

For those who do not know what Hog ring pliers look like, here is what it is:

I started with the rear seat cushions first. Pulled them from the car and then went to town cutting all of the original hog rings that attached the cover to the foam. Next I began to install the cover, using the anchor bars to secure the seat cover to the foam.

Center sections done first

Seat cushion complete

Installed in car

Nice cell phone pic of the outside of the car as I was working on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Part two:

So my front seat install took longer than I had planned, and I only was able to do one seat before I had to break away to do other things (beers and pizza with friends at the bar).

I decided that I wanted to start with the passenger seat first. If I had any problems or issues, I wanted that to be the one because the drivers seat gets a lot more usage. The first thing I got hung up on was the main electrical connector. It wasn't obvious that after pulling the little red tab back, I then needed to pull the tab outward before the main harness will release. That out of the way and the seat inside is where we begin.

Flip the seat over and pull the lower plastic release from the seat back.

Pull both side tension buckles and the two center release tabs and fold the seat back pocket over.

Remove the three screws retaining the side airbag.

Pull the airbag out and slide the grey part of the connector away from the plug

Pry the green part of the connector away from the receptacle and place airbag aside

Pry out the seat back adjustment wheel off

Remove the side screw holding the plastic fascia, then look underneath to find the other screw holding the fascia together. Push the plastic fascia towards the front of the seat to release it from the post inside. Remove the other fascia by removing the single screw. Set parts aside, noting that there are differences in screw types.

Disconnect the seat heater plug and snip the retaining zip strips to separate the top electrical portion of the seat from the bottom

This is the seat back and not the seat cushion. Here is how little space I have to work with in terms of removing the old hog clips. It is the same for when installing the new hog clips

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Almost done with the top...

I kept the seat back connected to the seat cushion so I could use it for leverage as needed. And so I wouldn't have to bend over to cut away the clips.

*At this point, I separated the seat back from the seat cushion by removing the four retaining bolts(2 each side)

Pry away the lower section away from the metal clip guide. It is one continuous piece.

When I started to remove the cushion cover, there weren't any hog rings holding the fabric in place. I decided that since an engineer came up with this fashion of securing the cloth cover, I will re-use them to secure my leather cover. I believe this is because it allows for more torsional pliability without damaging the main securing anchors. This added a ton of time to the process.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Long post: Installing leather seat upholstery

Now for the installation process:

You can see the weird clips installed on the new seat leather. They actually are directional and need to be oriented the correct way for proper installation.

All clipped in

Now for the top side

The first two side clips were soooooo hard to get in. I went through about 18 of them before I could secure it. It is hard to explain why, but you can't actually see what you are doing, and the retaining wire is VERY close to the metal back, making it difficult to press through. Combine that with the desire to not have wrinkles in the leather.... yeah. I could hear it scraping against the metal, but not clipping the wire. When removing the cover, each side had two rings, one in and one out. At least I wasn't the only one who had a hard time at this spot.

All clipped in

Seat back reattached to the seat cushion. Airbag secured. Honesty time: I forgot to reconnect the electrical plug. Did not realize it until the seat was completely installed in the car and the dashboard had the airbag warning light illuminated. This sucks. Not hard to fix, just a pain in the ass.

Headrest cover receivers cut out and ready for car installation

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Now for the head rests:

I did both head rests at the same time. My mate who helped me with the rear seat head rests described it best: "Dammit! It's like giving birth, installing these effing covers!" I added "But like trying to shove the baby back in." A good giggle and sore thumbs later we were finished.

These clips are the same as on the seat backs. They are NOT easy to clip together with either the seat back or the head rest covers. I cannot describe how hard it is to get these clips to lock together. Lets just say that I am glad my mother was not around - I swore so much, sailors would get uncomfortable.

A half hour later......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Keep in mind that this leather is "un-worked" and still needs massage, hand chops, and leather conditioner treatment. It also needs heat (I wish I had a steamer) and time for the wrinkles to completely disappear. I do have some old school tricks that help accelerate the process, but I haven't done them yet. I am very happy with the progress so for with this project. The quality of the leather is amazing - I see why they charge such a high retail rate for their product. The fact that I got it on such a great savings is awesome.

Here is the seller information: http://myworld.ebay.com/penguloetrim...p2047675.l2559

And a current auction for the plain black leather option: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Complete...item3381a8d8cc

I will be finishing the driver's side tomorrow.

Result:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

here is a trick for the headrests. wrap the headrest in a plastic bag, then slip the leather cover over it. the plastic bag acts as a lubricant. when the new cover is all buttoned up, nobody will know there is a plastic bag underneath. Worked great when i put 69 seats in my 68 firebird.

Job looks good. I am almost tempted to do leather and add butt warmers.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! will become famous soon enoughAstra La Vista! will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

This how-to is so full of AWESOME! Thanks for taking the time to document everything so well!

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
Articwhite2008
Articwhite2008 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Ive been wanted to do this since 08... no leather white cars in a 100 mile radius... Thanks for the link to the katzskinz

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Articwhite2008's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Articwhite2008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Articwhite2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
onizuka78
onizuka78 is on a distinguished road

Awesome job with the leather wrap around.

But I think red leather would look better

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASTRA-H-Mk...item19dc80bc72

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onizuka78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onizuka78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onizuka78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
CadiEldo67
CadiEldo67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Amazing installation - it looks better than factory.

I really give you credit for doing this, I would not have the patience to tackle a job like this and it just wouldn't come out nearly as good for me.

I have to say, it really makes my leatherette (who are they fooling?) seats look cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CadiEldo67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CadiEldo67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CadiEldo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

The red seat color looks great by itself, but once in the car I think it would be a little too much red. That is just fine for others, but over the top for me. I prefer somthing a little subtler: Here is a photoshop design I came up but did not follow through with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
DarylVT
DarylVT is on a distinguished road

How did you remove the front seats? I purchased a RAM Mount for my phone and it installs using a passenger seat bolt, which I cannot even find.

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarylVT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarylVT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarylVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #14
smwalker
smwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Daryl if I remember correctly there are no seat bolts on the front of the astra seats. The rails just go into a pocket. They are only bolted at the rear of the rails to keep them in place.

May have to tap in a bolt to the floor or side tunnel to do your mount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
nicolas_p
Advanced Member
nicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by smwalker View Post
Daryl if I remember correctly there are no seat bolts on the front of the astra seats. The rails just go into a pocket. They are only bolted at the rear of the rails to keep them in place.

May have to tap in a bolt to the floor or side tunnel to do your mount.
You are correct, there are only bolts on the rear of the seats rails

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #16
dbfive
dbfive is on a distinguished road

Astra La Vista said it! So full of awesome! Hubs and I came across this while installing heated seats. We've been putting off the leather install, but after this how-to, and as easy as the heat panels were to install, we may just be going through it again as soon as the leather gets here!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbfive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbfive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #17
phatfire6
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Would love to see someone else tackle this project too!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!