SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Gigi24
Gigi24 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
Default Service Engine Soon Light Not working.

My 97 SC1 failed the MO emissions inspection with these diagnostic codes P0303, P0341, P0401, P0714.
The service engine light does not come on(which the tech said was the bigger issue), but the low fuel and low oil lights work. She has 197,XXX miles.

Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gigi24's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gigi24 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gigi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Tofutti
Tofutti is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1994 SW2
Default Re: Service Engine Soon Light Not working.

I know this is a stupid question, but sometimes the most obvious issue is the problem: Is the MIL bulb simply blown and/or socket/wiring burnt or cut?

I guess the question really is: Does the MIL come on for a few seconds when ignition is turned on and car started (bulb test), but then goes out and stays out, yet the computer still sets codes and doesn't show it (by activating MIL)? Or does the light simply not come on at all (ever)?.

Last edited by Tofutti; 05-13-2013 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: typos..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tofutti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tofutti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tofutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

How long have you had the car?

on the left side of your cluster are two orangeish warning lights, that will turn on briefly for the bulb test that Tofutti mentioned. Do the test as described

You have a Service Engine Soon (SES) light that should light up whenever you have a code.

You also have a Service light with a picture of a wrench next to it and whenever the SES light bulb is burned out, the Wrench light is supposed to be lit.

That you do not have a wrench light showing all the time suggests that either both bulbs are burned out, or a previous owner played shenanigans (removed the bulbs, taped over them, etc., to hide the lights)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Some of these codes don't maintain the Check Engine light. COuld it have come on and you not noticed? If the Check Engine Bulb burns out the Service Engine light stays on.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Here's a good recent thread on the lights
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191450

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #6
Zoidberg69
Zoidberg69 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofutti View Post
I know this is a stupid question, but sometimes the most obvious issue is the problem: Is the MIL bulb simply blown and/or socket/wiring burnt or cut?

I guess the question really is: Does the MIL come on for a few seconds when ignition is turned on and car started (bulb test), but then goes out and stays out, yet the computer still sets codes and doesn't show it (by activating MIL)? Or does the light simply not come on at all (ever)?.
I know this is a super old thread but I am a member of many forums and they would rather me post on an old thread than a new one. I have a rather odd issue with my check engine light. The light comes on when I do the bulb check, so I know it works. The car is an 02 SL-2 and has had an earlier year motor swapped into it. Not sure what year, but I can tell because the knock sensor is threaded for the old style sensor. Now, it has set codes, many codes. Misfires, knock sensor, temperature below threshold. None of them have illuminated the light while driving, though. So basically as Tofutti said at the end of this post. Does anybody know why this would happen?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zoidberg69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zoidberg69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zoidberg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

First thing to do is conduct an experiment. Disconnect the IAT sensor, located in the filter box intake and then start the engine. This should immediately illuminate the SES light. If it does not suspect a failing PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:42 PM   #8
Zoidberg69

I have run the car with sensors unplugged already and no light. If pcm is failing, but car runs fine, do I really need to worry about it until it dies completely?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zoidberg69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #9
Jeeprz!
Jeeprz! is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg69 View Post
I have run the car with sensors unplugged already and no light. If pcm is failing, but car runs fine, do I really need to worry about it until it dies completely?
Apples and Oranges comparison,

Op posted "My 97 SC1 failed the MO emissions inspection" has nothing to do with if you can drive it, depending on where you are, you may not be able to get tags, smog sticker, or LEGALLY drive it.

"Officer, turning on your lights and siren just because you lost the drag race is just poor sportsmanship."

"Turtle" the Green 1998 SC2 Auto DOHC 160k that doesn't burn any oil!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeeprz!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeeprz! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeeprz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
Jeeprz!
Jeeprz! is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Range/Performance

P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

P0714 - Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor Circuit Intermittent

After a careful internet diagnosis I have resolved your issue, it's an SC1, kill it, before it breeds.

Yes, I realize that didn't help you but there are way to many variables in this issue.

You stated, She has 197k miles, what was the mileage on the last tuneup and fluid change?

On the last tune up and fluid change, who did it and what, exactly did they do?

Did the SES light ever work since you owned it?

How does it run and drive?

Can you take some under hood pics to post?

Did you just create another new account on the forum?

Zoidberg69 = but car runs fine, do I really need to worry about it until it dies completely?

No, you have no worries about it until it dies completely, then it's too late.

"Officer, turning on your lights and siren just because you lost the drag race is just poor sportsmanship."

"Turtle" the Green 1998 SC2 Auto DOHC 160k that doesn't burn any oil!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeeprz!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeeprz! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeeprz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #11
Zoidberg69

Two different people. Two different problems. I'm not so worried about the car dying as I have another car if it does and will get a computer from the junkyard as these cars are everywhere.
My question is how could the computer be failing if I can scan it for codes and it reads codes perfectly fine? Also I don't have to worry about emissions where I live.
I feel that the light not coming on has something to do with the engine swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!