SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
ZexGX
ZexGX is on a distinguished road

Checkered Flag LS1 (V8) guy

Hey all, just want to introduce myself. I just picked up a 170k mile 2002 Silver Blue SL2 with a 5 speed manual for an amazing deal. Signing up here to get some help on fixing the minor issues with it, finding replacement parts, and possibly sharing a few mods that I may think of along the way. It doesn't need a lot of money or effort to get it back into excellent mechanical condition, so it won't be too long before I have a solid daily driver.

My previous daily driver was my heavily-modified high-mileage Jeep. The rear diff locked up at 65 MPH and exploded, somehow taking out a few other driveline parts as well, effectively rendering it useless unless I threw up to $1000 in parts at it. Didn't want to do that since I have a Firebird waiting for a new motor and a supercharger (which unfortunately takes money).

Before that, my daily driver was the Firebird. I LS1 swapped it in 2009 and was running a consistent 8.2 seconds at 89 MPH in the 1/8th mile, and took it autocrossing and on canyon runs every now and then (it's always had high-grip street tires/drag radials, recently switched to R-compound Nitto NT555RII). I forged the LS1 in 2011 in preparation of installing a centrifugal supercharger, but the shop that assembled the shortblock for me didn't tolerance the main bearings correctly and I had to park it in late 2012 after I noticed an oil pressure issue and discovered the bearings. I decided to switch things up and go with a larger-cube iron block and a manual transmission instead of the aluminum block and built automatic trans. So both of my daily drivers were out of commission, and I had to find a cheap car that would allow me to continue working on the Firebird.

A Saturn SL was the answer!

Thanks for reading.

'02 Saturn SL2/5-speed/170k miles.
'99 Pontiac Firebird/370ci V8 + supercharger (in the works).
'87 Jeep Cherokee/lots of mods/426k+ miles (temporarily down).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ZexGX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ZexGX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links