SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a jewel in the roughcityhawk is a jewel in the roughcityhawk is a jewel in the rough

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Intermittent turn signal function. Flasher relay issue?

While waiting at an intersection to turn left this morning with my directional on, it suddenly stopped working. I tried in the other direction and it didn't work that way either.

When I got to the next intersection, where I had to turn left again, I instinctively turned on my turn signal and it worked for a while, then stopped again. This pattern has repeated itself. I seem to have turn signals for a while, then they cut out.

I've read posts about flasher relays here.... I'm not sure if they're all the same across generations, but I first wanted to check if my symptoms are typical of this relay malfunctioning or if it's likely due to something else.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 138,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
Gone but not forgotten: 1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Intermittent turn signal function. Flasher relay issue?

Did you get out and look or did you hear it quit or the indicator went out? It does sound like a flasher as a first guess but I would be checking all ligts first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a jewel in the roughcityhawk is a jewel in the roughcityhawk is a jewel in the rough

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

It stopped clicking and the arrow stopped flashing (the arrow was dark -- I have in other cars in the past had the arrow stay lit). I haven't looked outside yet though, but would it likely quit for both directions if a bulb goes?

Saturns:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If the clicking quit then it probably died.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I ordered this part from RockAuto.com.

Saturns:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is supposed to be the correct part and it is located on the front of the I/P Panel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I put the new flasher unit in the car today. It was nice of Saturn to have a diagram on the inside cover of the fuse/relay panel so I knew which relay was the flasher unit. The new one is larger (ie longer from the panel to the end of the unit) but fits fine. After installing the unit, I turned on my right directional.... it flashed on, then off, then on again then stayed on.

I flipped it to the other side and it worked fine. It has worked fine in both directions and the hazard flashers ever since with all lights flashing properly.

Just a random start-up thing perhaps?

Saturns:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Moderately dirty bulb contact or cranky flasher. Who knows...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!