SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
barnkat
barnkat is on a distinguished road

Question 06 Vue Sunroof Stuck

My sunroof as been making a slight "whirr-clunk-whirr-clunk" noise when opening for the past few days, so I opened it fully to spray in lubricant this morning. Now it won't close - all I get is a loud buzzing sound from the motor when I press on the switch. Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to barnkat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help barnkat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
barnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 06 Vue Sunroof Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnkat View Post
My sunroof as been making a slight "whirr-clunk-whirr-clunk" noise when opening for the past few days, so I opened it fully to spray in lubricant this morning. Now it won't close - all I get is a loud buzzing sound from the motor when I press on the switch. Any suggestions?
I previously posted a few sunroof files in post 3 of following thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184993

Let me know if you'd like those files - or any other service manual extract - emailed to you (use PM to send address).

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
barnkat

Thanks for the info, but not quite what I'm looking for. It is probably a motor problem, but doesn't appear to be electrical - more mechanical. When I returned home my husband was able to "pull" the sunroof glass while I operated the switch. As long as he was pulling, the sound was the usual "whirr" (well, the newer "whirr, click, whirr, click" technically). The moment he stopped, it stopped moving and buzzed like a welding buzz box again. We're presuming that either whatever mechanism does the pull/push (rod? belt?) is breaking down or that the motor is starting to die.

We're in Arizona, so it may be that the outdoor temps have taken their toll. Right at the moment it's closed, and with temps soaring over 100 next week it will remain that way until late fall (although it would be nice to be able to use the vent feature), so there's no immediate rush to fix it.

Does anyone have a clear understanding (or even a photo) of the motor & it's push/pull mechanism?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help barnkat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
The other Derek
The other Derek is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

What did you spray to lubricate it? I don't have a Vue, but I used grease to lubricate the track and slides on my SL2s sunroof after cleaning the old crusty grease out with WD40 and some q-tips. The motor had been straining (and quite noisy), but wiping some grease in the tracks got rid of the noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The other Derek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The other Derek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The other Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Does anyone have a clear understanding (or even a photo) of the motor & it's push/pull mechanism?
There's not much "clear" sunroof information in factory service manual (FSM).

I've attached FSM extracts for replacing complete sunroof module and the motor.

These extracts apply if the Vue left Spring Hill with the factory sunroof (check for RPO code CF5 on service parts sticker - LH rear door).

Saturn dealers also installed after-market sunroofs and they have less data than the OEM version.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vue Sunroof Module R2.pdf (94.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf Vue Sunroof Motor R2.pdf (126.3 KB, 13 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
barnkat

Yes, it is a factory sunroof.

Just got a call from the local Chevy dealer who has had it today. They save the "drive gears" are all chewed up and the only fix is a total replace at $1400+.

Apparently the drive gears (plastic) are stripped and the track is damaged. When asked why and if it could have been prevented, I was told "it's just normal wear and tear - with the plastic parts, that's going to happen." So, I guess I'll be sunroof-less for the forseeable future.

Last edited by barnkat; 05-10-2013 at 05:27 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Yes, it is a factory sunroof.

Just got a call from the local Chevy dealer who has had it today. They save the "drive gears" are all chewed up and the only fix is a total replace at $1400+.

Apparently the drive gears (plastic) are stripped and the track is damaged. When asked why and if it could have been prevented, I was told "it's just normal wear and tear - with the plastic parts, that's going to happen." So, I guess I'll be sunroof-less for the forseeable future.

Well, instructions looks easy..ish.
maybe check local junk yards and see if you can score one and replace over the weekend with a friend. Or just get it closed and use as a see through roof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote