SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #141
MyloFox
MyloFox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: Rebuilding the tired out $300 199K 1995 SC2

ok sounds good.

my 95 turbo project might start a bit sooner than i thought lol

oh well whenever i get the 98 running i will see what happens

Saturn: Cooler than Jupiter, but hotter than Uranus!
Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyloFox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyloFox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MyloFox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #142
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Ooooooooooook well sorry everyone for all the delays my life has taken a turn for the worse. Long story short I lost my job and my 1998 sc2 and about 1200 bucks of stuff inside it. Now I'm homeless and barely scrapeing by. I lived in a friends basement for a few months (disgusting place) then just recently moved to a different friends house, this time in this old 70's cabover camper. Its alright but not ideal, however it gave me the idea to get a trailer and live in that for a while. So hopefully I will have a 2004 keystone outback 21 foot trailer, but first I have to replace the headgaskets on my suburban cuz the poor truck finally gave put a few months ago. Oh well got the heads off and parts mostly cleanish. Just waiting on some cash from my two new jobs and all should be well. So yeah.

As for the Saturn its still goin. Pulled my suburban and pushed it around with the rear bumper to. get it in place a few times. This is the tiniest pickup ever Lol. this poor car does so much work.

The front struts have started to make noise and the starter has a weird issue where it works perfectly most of the time then sometimes it just does nothing. No lights dim, no odd sounds, just nothing, have to kick start the car.

Oh and I painted the hood primer grey so it wouldn't rust anymore.

I love this car, oh and I'm gonna Polly upload spam pictures on here.

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MyloFox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #143
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyloFox View Post
Ooooooooooook well sorry everyone for all the delays my life has taken a turn for the worse. Long story short I lost my job and my 1998 sc2 and about 1200 bucks of stuff inside it. Now I'm homeless and barely scrapeing by. I lived in a friends basement for a few months (disgusting place) then just recently moved to a different friends house, this time in this old 70's cabover camper. Its alright but not ideal, however it gave me the idea to get a trailer and live in that for a while. So hopefully I will have a 2004 keystone outback 21 foot trailer, but first I have to replace the headgaskets on my suburban cuz the poor truck finally gave put a few months ago. Oh well got the heads off and parts mostly cleanish. Just waiting on some cash from my two new jobs and all should be well. So yeah.

As for the Saturn its still goin. Pulled my suburban and pushed it around with the rear bumper to. get it in place a few times. This is the tiniest pickup ever Lol. this poor car does so much work.

The front struts have started to make noise and the starter has a weird issue where it works perfectly most of the time then sometimes it just does nothing. No lights dim, no odd sounds, just nothing, have to kick start the car.

Oh and I painted the hood primer grey so it wouldn't rust anymore.

I love this car, oh and I'm gonna Polly upload spam pictures on here.

Sorry to hear about your job loss. Seems like Obamanomics is kicking a lot of people in the rear. Hope you can get back on your feet soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:29 AM   #144
MyloFox

1995 SC2
Post Re: Rebuilding the tired out $300 199K 1995 SC2

Update again.

So my life is slowly coming back together and I have a job again, that said my SC2 has been seeing the bitter end of no income.

I have wandering tie rods and bad ball joints, my caliper fell off and locked up my front right wheel (got that solved was just a bit stupid.) and now I've made a list of everything that needs upgrading / repairing for when I actually can get around to it. Once it warms up a bit I'm going to start fixing the broken stuff and begin the project. I think its finally time for this car to get started.

That said I'm going to have a lot of questions and hopefully I don't bug you all too much.

Now as far as the car goes the only real issue I'm having with it is once in a while it won't start, IE no click, no turn over, no lights flutter or dim, just..... nothing. Smack the starter with a stick, fires right up. So yeah I'm thinkin new starter.

I think I want to get a donor car and take the DOHC out of it and build that up but I have a lot of sentimental attachment to the engine I have. idk. Polly juts gonna build what I got. Will at some point get another car running so I can drive that around, the plan Is to have the Saturn down for as little time as possible. So I'm going to buy all the parts and once I have everything and a bit of extra cash I'm going to start.

For the engine bit of it I want to just rebuild the engine, deebs build it raise compression, head studs, ect then throw the turbo on it later, run the engine N/A for a while. Because the engine needs rings.... soon... and I figure if I just build the engine how I want it and run it for a while, throwing a turbo at it will be easier because all the internals are done already.

I'm gonna post my "TO DO" list here and keep it updated with costs as I find them, if I've purchased them or not, and what part it is. If anyone has suggestions for parts or any advice feel free to nag at me.

Oh on a completely different note. Does anyone know if there are any Saturn meets anymore?

With that I have a to do list to write and figure out.

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #145
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Definitely need a new starter. Amazon or here: http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-1397-19-liter.aspx <--that is the delivered price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #146
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Alrighty. So got that new starter on. Life has handed me a nice huge place of ass whoopin. So just starting to pick up again. Gonna start a good job with the army on the 17th. Phew. Finnally get a financial break. Maybe now i can turbo the damn thing lol

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:39 AM   #147
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Good to see you are still alive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #148
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Thanks it feels good to have her back.

I think of this forum all the time but have nothing to say so i just watch lol.

There are some things i need to address with the poor thing sense it sat for 6 months under a pine tree. It runs, it drives, ahe is hard to kill this one but i want to start fixing issues not just bandaiding them.

Something i cant figure out is how to make the plastic bit of the shifter where the ball sits not flop around so much. Do they make a new piece made of metal or can it be made? The cable bushings arefine (although i would love the metal ones) but the ball flops around. Makes the shifter feel terrible.

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #149
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If the pivot ball is worn out then you have 2 choices: 1)go to JY and get a replacement assembly from any year manual car, or 2)drill out the rivets and carefully sand down the part that holds the ball to take up the slack. Do not lube with any petroleum or silicone lube as it will hold dirt and increase the wear rate, dry lube only. The light sanding will take up the clearance and tighten it right up but sand slowly. The replacement towers are usually quite low cost at the J/Y as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #150
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If the pivot ball is worn out then you have 2 choices: 1)go to JY and get a replacement assembly from any year manual car, or 2)drill out the rivets and carefully sand down the part that holds the ball to take up the slack. Do not lube with any petroleum or silicone lube as it will hold dirt and increase the wear rate, dry lube only. The light sanding will take up the clearance and tighten it right up but sand slowly. The replacement towers are usually quite low cost at the J/Y as well.
kinda what I was thinking, found a write up on here about something else to fix it aswell. gonna take it apart and see what I can do. because its really bad. I can see the ball move over a 1/4 inch up and down when i shift

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #151
MyloFox

1995 SC2

I really need to figure out this picture posting thing lol I have a lot to share.

but I do have this for now. all the pics I've compiled. the ones at the bottom are the newest. poor thing is dirty

https://goo.gl/photos/7267g1DyY2ZFRhdYA

btw this is the write up I found

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
Yes, there are ways of tightening up the shifter. I made some posts with photos a while back on what I did to mine.

To be bluntly honest, it is not as tight as it may have been when brand new, but it is way better than it was and is no longer "sloppy" by anyone's definition. Moreover it stands a better chance of staying good now because it is now easily re-buildable and re-lube-able (is that even a word?).

Basically you need to check and repair as necessary the following items-
  1. The pivot shaft on the top cover of the transmission can wear, or the bushing that guides it wears. Repair or replace as required and lubricate it liberally with wheel bearing grease. The shaft is only held in with a circlip beneath a thin metal cap that snaps on and off.
  2. There is a round button that engages a circular collar on the top cover input shaft. It can wear flats on its side. You can rotate it to a round area again and stake, bond or braze it into place. Lube it regularly with disc brake wheel bearing grease to keep it from wearing again!
  3. The pivot point on the u-shaped channel on the lower end of the shifter shaft wears loose. Clamp it in a vise and tighten it in stages until it gets snug. You must remove the shaft to do this, refer to next item. Lube it liberally, yada yada.....
  4. The ball pivot of the shifter shaft CAN be tightened. Drill out the rivets that hold the plastic housing on top of the metal mounting frame that goes to the floor. Remove the housing, put a new o-ring underneath the spider cage that is the pivot cage. Use a thicker cross-section o-ring than the original wimpy one that will come out with the housing. That will tighten it up. Use 1/4-20 hardware to fasten the plastic housing back onto the metal frame.
  5. I also modified the place that the left side circular spring (the one that tensions the gate motions) seats so that it is tighter and it now better centers the gate motion when in neutral. This one is a bit complicated to describe but the photos in the posting make what I did immediately obvious.
  6. While you have the plastic housing removed, put bushings in the holes that guide the cross shaft in the front. You can get them at better hardware stores. I used tubing inserts but steel or bronze shoulder bushings will work fine. Use an e-clip to hold the shaft back in place. Lube the shaft liberally!!!
  7. While you are at it, replace the infamous shifter bushing. It WILL break and strand you sooner or later (trust me on this). Replace it preemptively, there are many threads on Toyota wiper bushings and other suitable replacements (I made my own from teflon stock). Lube it!!!!
  8. Check the cables. Make sure the molded-on ends and clamp collars are not coming loose. If they are, tighten them up any way you can or buy a new set of cables.

I also chose to cut 1.5" off the top of the shifter shaft. It makes it much more ergonomic. I will not get sucked into any arguments as to whether or not this is a true "short shifter", but it is most definitely more pleasurable to shift ( a wrist flick instead of a large forearm motion), and does have both a shorter gate and throw, there is simply no question about it.

Was it a marginal (no, let's be honest- piss poor) design? Probably.
Can it be repaired and even improved without a large expenditure? YES.
Get your wrenches, drills and Dremel tool out and have at it.

I hope I helped......

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #152
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That works but instead of dirt collecting grease and/or oil try 3M part 08897 Dry Silicone you will be much happier. Amazon sells it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #153
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That works but instead of dirt collecting grease and/or oil try 3M part 08897 Dry Silicone you will be much happier. Amazon sells it.
Cool will do.

Now i gotta adress why the clutch pedal is "sticky" its not smooth at all

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #154
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Alright. Had a few good days with the car and now my body panels line up better. I have a headliner. Changed the oil. Replaced my broken headlight brackets on both sides and got new (well to me...and They suck) tires. Lots more to do! Lol

I still can't figure out pictures but i have a lot on my Facebook and google.

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #155
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Now I just gotta get suspension bits and keep going.

Does anyone have a driver door for a second gen manual window in good shape?

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

Last edited by MyloFox; 05-30-2016 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Posted wrong text

REWARD EXCELLENCE!