SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
MyloFox
MyloFox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Dizzy Rebuilding the tired out $300 199K 1995 SC2

Just got this little thing a while ago and I will post pics when I can.

So for starters when I rescued this little guy it was TERRIBLE.

Let me lay the scene down for you all. Imagine a poor little black 1995 SC2 at first glance you think " aww look at that, what a good looking little car" then you walk up to it and the horror starts.

The carpet was black and brown with seriously inches of dirt and mold, All the plastic bits of dash trim suffer the same fate.

the seats are covered in dirt and are wet. The driver window is all over the floor and seat. the left rear tire is flat. the car is almost brown with dirt!

Standing there thinking to myself, well maybe it runs OK? I would be OK with this little guy if she ran.

start it up.

that little 1.9 tries for a few seconds and sputters to barely holding 300-400 rpm, giving a little encouragement makes its way to the idle of 800.

ok, so far so good.

put it in gear after pumping up the tire and take off for a test. smoke. blueeee smoke from the pipe. but only at high rpm and high load.

mmk still not so bad for a project.

hit some back country highways to try to air out the car from the horrible smell inside.

take a corner.... wow. the balance. the finesse! the excitement! this little thing wants to GO!! the car is having fun and so are you! was a great car to drive, until

dang! out of gas. had to be rescued by the now previous owner of the car

on the way back the gas he brought had been sitting, the car HATES it. barely runs!

take it back, wait a week to get the money, and take the 28 mile drive out to get it again and drive it home. put some gas in it and take off.

on the way, check engine light, engine stalls, 10 minutes spent on the side of the road attempting to get it to start. frustration is now setting in big time, starting to think this was a huge mistake.

it started, thank god!

now just to tear off and run it home.

put good gas in it and new plugs and coils.

runs OK now. still a lot of issues but at least its reliable as long as Arco gas stays out of the tank.

now, so far i have replaced the front bumper cover and both fenders due to a highway issue and a bungee cord (pictures and vids will show the story)

the interior has been ripped COMPLETELY out of the car short of the dash (just what I couldn't figure out.) washed down with a hose and towel (yes I carefully hosed out the interior you have no consent of how much dirt and dust was in this car)

went to pick n pull and got new carpet and leather seats, except that the rear seats only found the backs to them in good shape. the actual seat still need to find a leather one.

cleaned up all the parts and put them back in with some krylon paint on to make them black (this is being redone as I did it wrong, I'm just getting actual black parts off a different car)

new coils from amazon.

will post totals of all this and a list of parts when I have one. any ideas and help will be MOST appreciated.

Damaged things:
LR strut makes the car wander and you can move the tire back and forth. scary

found out yesterday that my tie rod ends are the main source of all the play in my steering.

also no radio cuz it got stole, and the window is currently awesome and made of page protectors and super clear packing tape! it actually works awesome I am proud of it.... the first two window attempts were awful... O.o

broke the shifter cable drap racing my roomates 1999 Dakota R/T, Also fixed it with hose clamps and metal zip ties! XD

prices of stuff:

bumper covers, fender, new blinkers = $206
seats, carpet rear shelf cover all seat belts = $209
^^^^^ Might be a few other little things im forgetting atm ^^^

so far so good! anyone wanna buy some rug doctored to hell tan seats? they are still a bit dirty but they are good seats still. kinda wanna get around $150 or so back for them all.

anyway that's my story so far, when I can post pics I will and vids too.

Saturn: Cooler than Jupiter, but hotter than Uranus!
Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyloFox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyloFox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MyloFox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
racinginblood
racinginblood will become famous soon enough

1998 SL1
Default Re: Rebuilding the tired out $300 199K 1995 SC2

sounds like that prev owner should have been charged with abuse now you have caught the saturn syndrome my dear friend..........good luck and may this car bring many o smiles instead of sore knuckles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racinginblood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racinginblood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racinginblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
MyloFox

1995 SC2
Checkered Flag Re: Rebuilding the tired out $300 199K 1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinginblood View Post
sounds like that prev owner should have been charged with abuse now you have caught the saturn syndrome my dear friend..........good luck and may this car bring many o smiles instead of sore knuckles
Ive had three, this being the third.

Im a huge ford guy and am in the works to get a mustang.

however I love my durpy little car and am working hard to get it up and running.

if anyone has any parts for cheap or ideas that would be amazing!

I kinda want to get a completely different DHOC motor and build it on a stand and then put it in when done.

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MyloFox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
racinginblood
racinginblood will become famous soon enough

1998 SL1

head on over to vancouver bc canada im sure you can find parts or maybe the whole car witha hippie living in it as an option

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racinginblood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racinginblood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racinginblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

with the tire moving back and forth also check the sway bar bushings.

highmile
'95 SL1 515k and counting

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

You're off to a good start. Rebuilding another engine and dropping it in later ood start. Rebuilding another engine and dropping it in later

On the cables, if the cable themselves are broken, pull from a junkyard. If it's just the cable end in the interior, or the shifter bushing, go to eBay and look for parts sold by Saturnbushingman - he has some CNC'd replacement parts

I don't know how familiar you are with these cars, but there's a good overview sticky thread in the General forum. also search for threads with 'hunt4steve' in the title - he'd done several good threads with pics (different head since his car is a SOHC engine rather than a DOHC)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186696

Look in the Mods forum - there's an easy 5th gear swap (thread started by ShawnV) that will bring you up from about 35 mpg hwy to around 40 mpg (if everything else is working right)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 05-03-2013 at 08:33 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1
Cool Re: Rebuilding the tired out $300 199K 1995 SC2

subscribed....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Be careful with the new coils. The originals are of very high quality and rarely fail. Aftermarket ones are notorious for being problematic. To avoid future problems I'd grab a set from a junk yard and swap them out. The aftermarket coils will eventually leave you stranded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

You mentioned the blue smoke. There is a design defect that causes the oil control rings to break up. Watch your oil usage. Fixing it requires a rebuilt. A proper DIY rebuilt will set you back about $1500.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Be careful with the new coils. The originals are of very high quality and rarely fail. Aftermarket ones are notorious for being problematic. To avoid future problems I'd grab a set from a junk yard and swap them out. The aftermarket coils will eventually leave you stranded.
oh really? hmm ok I will keep that in mind. these ones dont look bad but i will definitely keep my eye out for oddness.

as for junkyard coils ill go pick some up and keep them in the car is something goes wrong.

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
You mentioned the blue smoke. There is a design defect that causes the oil control rings to break up. Watch your oil usage. Fixing it requires a rebuilt. A proper DIY rebuilt will set you back about $1500.
yeah I planned on rebuilding a different 1.9 DOHC and then swapping them and selling the other motor or something.

1500? wooow, what parts does that entail getting?

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
subscribed....
Thanks! I like being followed...that sounds odd O.o

XD I subscribed to your 400 dollar rebuild a while back

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
You're off to a good start. Rebuilding another engine and dropping it in later ood start. Rebuilding another engine and dropping it in later

On the cables, if the cable themselves are broken, pull from a junkyard. If it's just the cable end in the interior, or the shifter bushing, go to eBay and look for parts sold by Saturnbushingman - he has some CNC'd replacement parts

I don't know how familiar you are with these cars, but there's a good overview sticky thread in the General forum. also search for threads with 'hunt4steve' in the title - he'd done several good threads with pics (different head since his car is a SOHC engine rather than a DOHC)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186696

Look in the Mods forum - there's an easy 5th gear swap (thread started by ShawnV) that will bring you up from about 35 mpg hwy to around 40 mpg (if everything else is working right)
Thanks! that 5th gear swap I really want to do soon. however I seem to remember there are two different MP2 5ths that are different ratios. I want to lowest I can get those RPMS to be at 65.

and I'm sorry but i don't understand the first part of your post O.o about the rebuild

just so everyone knows btw this car is meant to be a commuter but I would like around 150 -165 BHP aswell just because I like to drive hard and like peppy cars, I'm totally good with 40 - 50 MPG or even just 35 honestly

right now the car is getting like 29. its not doing well and it will be in neutral and rolling and the motor will hold 1400 -1600 RPM until I come to a complete stop (it will do this at 1 MPH forever) the second I stop it goes down to 700

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyloFox View Post
Thanks! that 5th gear swap I really want to do soon. however I seem to remember there are two different MP2 5ths that are different ratios. I want to lowest I can get those RPMS to be at 65.
the 5th gear swap thread has the details on the taller one

Quote:
and I'm sorry but i don't understand the first part of your post O.o about the rebuild
Sorry, stupid keyboard was in a rush, so did not proofread my message before posting. I meant, "you're off to a good start. Rebuilding another engine and dropping it in later is a good idea." I must have hit Control+V by accident.
Quote:
just so everyone knows btw this car is meant to be a commuter but I would like around 150 -165 BHP aswell just because I like to drive hard and like peppy cars, I'm totally good with 40 - 50 MPG or even just 35 honestly
depending on your driving style & speed, you should be able to do 35 mpg hwy at a steady 70 once the car is in tune.

Quote:
right now the car is getting like 29. its not doing well and it will be in neutral and rolling and the motor will hold 1400 -1600 RPM until I come to a complete stop (it will do this at 1 MPH forever) the second I stop it goes down to 700
I've been told that 1200 rpm is normal rolling rpm in neutral, with the manual transmission. The slightly higher rpm might be ECTS (worth inspecting, including the connector) or throttle body and passages needing cleaning

There are videos on youtube by richpin06a that cover both

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1
Dizzy Re: Rebuilding the tired out $300 199K 1995 SC2

Quote:

You should look at your IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve. I had some issues with mine idling too high, and thought it may have been the computer. I replaced the computer, didn't fix the issue. I replaced the IAC with a new one, and it didn't fix the issue. The reason the new IAC didn't work properly was because the pintle was not extended to the correct length to "begin" with. Therefore the computer didn't really know where the pintle was in it's stroke. So, after putzing around with it, I pulled the entire throttle body off. I carefully measured the pintle and ensure that it was NOT sticking out further than 1 1/8" before placing it back into the Throttle body. With the TB (Throttle Body) removed, you can easily see how far the IAC Pintle sticks into the air blocking orfice. I set mine up so that the IAC Pintle was nearly seated all the way into it's seat, thus blocking the air completely. After I did this, and driving the car at 40mph for a stretch, the computer was then able to determine where the pintle was in it's stroke, and set the idle correctly. It took a few stops at some stop lights, and the car nearly dieing, but then the computer figured it out, and now she idles at 800RPM solid.

To do this right, remove the TB and you'll be able to see how far the IAC pintle goes towards a full-seat (thus blocking air flow) from the engine and reducing idle.

It wasn't until this was done that the car would idle correctly.

I would think that 1200 may be normal for when the fan kicks in, to cover the extra engine pull of the A/C unit. When I coast in neutral with my MP2 5-speed, it drops to a comfortable 800 RPMs....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
as for junkyard coils ill go pick some up and keep them in the car is something goes wrong.
I picked up several sets when mine died. PM me if interested.

Good job on saving what sounded like a pretty ratty Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
MyloFox

1995 SC2
Dizzy Re: Rebuilding the tired out $300 199K 1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
I picked up several sets when mine died. PM me if interested.

Good job on saving what sounded like a pretty ratty Saturn!
I will keep that in mind. PM me with some prices sometime if you would.

And yeah I got some pics and vids on the way yo let you all see exactly how ratty this thing was.

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
MyloFox

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
You should look at your IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve. I had some issues with mine idling too high, and thought it may have been the computer. I replaced the computer, didn't fix the issue. I replaced the IAC with a new one, and it didn't fix the issue. The reason the new IAC didn't work properly was because the pintle was not extended to the correct length to "begin" with. Therefore the computer didn't really know where the pintle was in it's stroke. So, after putzing around with it, I pulled the entire throttle body off. I carefully measured the pintle and ensure that it was NOT sticking out further than 1 1/8" before placing it back into the Throttle body. With the TB (Throttle Body) removed, you can easily see how far the IAC Pintle sticks into the air blocking orfice. I set mine up so that the IAC Pintle was nearly seated all the way into it's seat, thus blocking the air completely. After I did this, and driving the car at 40mph for a stretch, the computer was then able to determine where the pintle was in it's stroke, and set the idle correctly. It took a few stops at some stop lights, and the car nearly dieing, but then the computer figured it out, and now she idles at 800RPM solid.

To do this right, remove the TB and you'll be able to see how far the IAC pintle goes towards a full-seat (thus blocking air flow) from the engine and reducing idle.

It wasn't until this was done that the car would idle correctly.

I would think that 1200 may be normal for when the fan kicks in, to cover the extra engine pull of the A/C unit. When I coast in neutral with my MP2 5-speed, it drops to a comfortable 800 RPMs....
ok I'll check that out. that seems like it might be my problem.

However like two days ago it stopped high idleing and now it like almsost kills itself just rolling and sitting there.

Also I dont know if this is anything but it hesitates and sputters really bad ( like I'm talking half throttle not going anywhere like its getting no fuel for a full second then normal then hesitation then normal, and it does this untill you hit 2000 RPM or warm the car up completely. it never does it warm) when cold only.

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
MyloFox

1995 SC2

So really quick. What is the best way to post pics here?

Cars of yore:
1998 Saturn SC2-221,000M
1997 Saturn SL1-135,000M
2000 Saturn LS1-178,000M
Current rides:
1995 Saturn SC2-210,000M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Post posting pics

posting pics..

Since you can't go back and edit your posts, which includes links to pictures, choose carefully where you are going to store your pictures. At one point I had mine up on Picassa, but because you can't have sub-folders I moved over to PhotoBucket. In PhotoBucket you have have sub-folders. When I did this I was unable to go back and edit my early posts in my larger thread. You can upload pics to this site, but again, it's sorta hap-hazard in trying organize them. As well, once I uploaded to this site (my photo album) I wasn't able to go in and delete them. I would recommend getting a Free PhotoBucket account. Be sure you compress your images to 1600x1200 and down to about 120k or so before uploading them to Photobucket. This will save your a HUGE amount of space on your Free Photobucket account. There are several applications out there that can perform "Batch" compression and resizing. My favorite at this time is "Advanced Jpeg Compressor". For the price you really can't beat what this application does for you. If you want some easy to use PhotoEditing, HyperSnap is a great utility that does a great job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!