SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #61
Anto7
Anto7 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Side mirrors

Was pulling out of my parking lot last week and heard a breaking glass noise from behind me. I looked in my mirrors and noticed my passenger side mirror glass was missing. Got out of the car and there was the glass in pieces on the ground. Really appreciate the help I got from people in this thread. I ordered a now glass complete with the heated backing plate from Amazon.ca. It was quite pricey at $60 but I didn't want to have to glue a mirror on so went with the assembly instead. Piece of cake to remove the existing backing plate and replace with new assembly. Looks pretty much identical to old one, only difference is the lettering style for the "objects on mirror" warning. Part shipped same day as I ordered it and arrived 2 days later.
Looks great, I will assume it won't fall off again but I guess time will tell.
Cheers everyone
Anthony

P.S. I also sent a customer complaint form to Transport Canada

Last edited by Anto7; 04-19-2016 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention something

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Anto7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Anto7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Anto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #62
todaresqSL2
todaresqSL2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anto7 View Post
Was pulling out of my parking lot last week and heard a breaking glass noise from behind me. I looked in my mirrors and noticed my passenger side mirror glass was missing. Got out of the car and there was the glass in pieces on the ground. Really appreciate the help I got from people in this thread. I ordered a now glass complete with the heated backing plate from Amazon.ca. It was quite pricey at $60 but I didn't want to have to glue a mirror on so went with the assembly instead. Piece of cake to remove the existing backing plate and replace with new assembly. Looks pretty much identical to old one, only difference is the lettering style for the "objects on mirror" warning. Part shipped same day as I ordered it and arrived 2 days later.
Looks great, I will assume it won't fall off again but I guess time will tell.
Cheers everyone
Anthony

P.S. I also sent a customer complaint form to Transport Canada
It likely will fall off again. Keep an eye on it... may be a year or so before it loosens up. When it does, make sure you put on some good double sided adhesive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to todaresqSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help todaresqSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
todaresqSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #63
Spaztrick
Spaztrick is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I really had no clue this was a known issue. But thanks for the 2 year old ebay links that still work, I have a new side mirror for $20.

I was curious though about the heating element. I just stuck the new adhesive pad right over it and hope it won't cause any problems. I also never knew that there was even a heating element there.

1999 SL2 / 2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe / 2006 Relay / 2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe / 2008 Astra XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaztrick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaztrick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaztrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #64
AstraFasta
AstraFasta is on a distinguished road

I did that with both mirror glass that fell off and the heating elements worked fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #65
AstraBlueRich64
AstraBlueRich64 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Hello All! I am new to this forum due to fact that I just bought an Astra XR. This is the 1st Saturn I have owned.
Well, there are a few issues with this car, not anything earth-shattering as I have had problems with every car I have owned (try Pontiacs that leak oil and catch on fire)
I noticed soon after purchasing the car this past May that the passenger side mirror glass was vibrating as I was driving. I promptly removed the mirror and added an epoxy to the glass backing. This stopped the mirror from vibrating.
I figured the problem was fixed for good.
But then, a few weeks ago, when someone closed the passenger door, the mirror fell out and broke on the driveway.
I went to ebay as advised on an earlier reply to his thread and bought a new RH mirror.
It has not arrived yet.
I just wonder how many here have taken the advice of contacting a local glass shop and ask if they will install the mirror? There are numerous shops around and I will give them a call to see if they will install it.
Also, I think it is a great idea that the address was provided to file a safety complaint on this mirror issue. I will complete this soon.
I will report back when I get the mirror glass reattached.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraBlueRich64's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraBlueRich64 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraBlueRich64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:12 PM   #66
todaresqSL2

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR

Welcome to the boards Rich. The mirror I purchased had the plastic backing on already, so should be doable by yourself if it is that way... although it will likely fall out again.

If it is just the mirror, some strong double sided tape. That is what I used the times I was able to save the mirrors from falling out... and they are still there a couple years later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help todaresqSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #67
littlep2000
littlep2000 is on a distinguished road

This thread is as old as dirt but apparently still useful. I bought the convex blue eBay ones last year and installed them successfully. However, recently they're started to bubble and become opaque.

I will likely need new ones again in the next couple months. When I do replace them I will likely stop short of hooking up the heating elements, or even buying them, which I thought about last time and should have just left unconnected then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to littlep2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help littlep2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
littlep2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #68
hoodlum
hoodlum is on a distinguished road

My driver side mirror just fell off again today after replacing it in 2014. Fortunately, it did not break this time. Can I use any double-sided tape?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoodlum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoodlum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #69
todaresqSL2

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post
My driver side mirror just fell off again today after replacing it in 2014. Fortunately, it did not break this time. Can I use any double-sided tape?
I would not recommend the thin/poster tape... double-sided foam/rubber tape would be better.

This is the style I used...I think it was branded as 3M though (same company, so either should work).

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Extrem...dp/B005SRECEU/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #70
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

This happened to me once so far and just recently. I noticed the passenger glass mirror was wobbling with the wind while driving on the highway. I pulled into the garage one day and tapped it with my fingers to try to make it pop off, sure enough it did but right into my hands. I went to an auto parts store and was told to just to use gorilla glue. The mirror is on super tight now and no issues in the past couple of weeks. I'm so happy it didn't fly off on the highway and this repair cost me $0 since I already had the glue.

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #71
goob
goob is on a distinguished road

My passenger side mirror fell off yesterday while I was sitting at a red light. I heard a broken glass sound and i thought i ran over a bottle. As I pulled away from the light, I glanced over to look in my mirror and it was gone. I ordered a replacement from glassrack.net for $17 including shipping.

08 Salsa Red Astra XR 5dr 5spd
Spt Pkg, Prem. Aud. and Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #72
kenzingen
kenzingen is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

My passenger side mirror fell off last week. I didn't realize it until I looked at it while driving one day and saw blackness. It must have come off somewhere while I was driving. At first, I thought someone had spray painted my mirror as a joke, but upon closer inspection, the mirror was gone. Got a replacement from Amazon for about $20. Came with double stick tape. I just put it on today. It fits pretty well. Hopefully it will last.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Astra keeps humming along. 188K miles now and counting.
Issues in the past: camshaft positioning sensors (intake and exhaust), ignition coils (beware, don't trust the super cheap ones from ebay. they are junk).
Current issue: check engine light stays on because of code p0420 (catalytic converter). I reset it and it keeps coming back on after a few days. I have a replacement ready to go, but wondering when driveability will really drop off? It is not that bad yet. Will replace when that happens. Hopefully I won't get stranded anywhere.

2008 Astra XR5, 5sp, Lthr, Sunrf, Sport Handling Package, Adv Audio (current car)
1997 SL2, 5sp Manual (still running strong when sold at 177k miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kenzingen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kenzingen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kenzingen is offline   Reply With Quote