SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2015, 11:44 PM   #41
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Side mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valikir433 View Post
Well my passenger mirror just fell off today after my girlfriend closed the door at a pretty relaxed speed. I've been looking around and this post definitely makes it seem easy enough to do by myself, but I found a $20 replacement on amazon and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with amazon's replacement mirror
If you are able to simply get a mirror that has no sticker on it or even with a sticker already applied. Speedy glass (or I assume most glass stores) will put it on for you for free. I was lucky enough to catch my mirror before it fell and they just stuck it back it for free

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2015, 04:24 AM   #42
todaresqSL2
todaresqSL2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valikir433 View Post
Well my passenger mirror just fell off today after my girlfriend closed the door at a pretty relaxed speed. I've been looking around and this post definitely makes it seem easy enough to do by myself, but I found a $20 replacement on amazon and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with amazon's replacement mirror
I am guessing the Amazon version is similar to the eBay glass.

The replacement one I got from ebay, which was a used one from a scrap yard, also pulled away. Thankfully I was able to get it before it fell down. I used some nice double-sided tape from the dealer to adhere it back on, as I did with the drivers side. No problems since.

I am hoping EVERY person that has had this issue has called GM Customer Care to let them know. This really is a safety issue, and a recall should be done. The supplier was too cheap with the adhesive, and not only is it costing the car owners money they shouldn't have to spend... but it can cause an accident if the mirror is not usable for a lane change. The only way to have a recall is for enough people calling in to GM to report the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to todaresqSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help todaresqSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
todaresqSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #43
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Well add me to the list. Just had it happen this morning when my wife normally closed the door. Thanks for all the info in this thread, it looks like an easy job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #44
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

On the whole topic of filing a safety complaint on this item, here is how you can do so:

US NTHSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Canada - Transport Canada: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur....aspx?lang=eng

Knock on wood my mirrors are fine so far but you never know.

Last edited by Saturn4Ever; 04-28-2015 at 07:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #45
todaresqSL2
todaresqSL2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post
On the whole topic of filing a safety complaint on this item, here is how you can do so:

Canada - Transport Canada: https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur....aspx?lang=eng

Yep. Did that, and I hope many more do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to todaresqSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help todaresqSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
todaresqSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 AM   #46
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by todaresqSL2 View Post
Yep. Did that, and I hope many more do.
I just completed my complaint to Transport Canada. Will follow up with a complaint to GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kikastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kikastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:15 AM   #47
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn4Ever View Post

I submitted the US version.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #48
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Mine are still stuck on pretty good. I bought some double sided 3M tape to do some preventative maintenance. I tried to pry them off so that I could re-stick them. I was able to get the passenger side off about 3/4 of the way (with some effort), but felt like I was going to break the mirror if I pulled it the rest of the way off. I put a piece of tape in there to hold the side that I pried off. The drivers side mirror wasn't budging, so it seems to be held on well.

My car only seems to have problems with the head shields falling down. I've had to re-attach both of them.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #49
EBeauchesne
EBeauchesne is on a distinguished road

Well I just had the right side mirror fell off this morning while driving on the highway...

I filed in a complaint on the Canada - Transport Canada WEB site and i'll look to get a replacement mirror glass...

Too bad GM will not take any blame for this lame but really simple to fix issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EBeauchesne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EBeauchesne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EBeauchesne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #50
Kooz
Kooz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Mine just fell off too. Passenger side. It hit the pavement while I was driving through a parking lot and it shattered. I didn't even know this was an issue until I did a search on this forum. Thankfully I see that Amazon has the part for around $20.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #51
paulff3

Please fill this out...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #52
Kooz

2008 Astra XE

Done.

Is there anything else that is going to suddenly fall off this car?!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2015, 08:51 AM   #53
paulff3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooz View Post
Done.

Is there anything else that is going to suddenly fall off this car?!
Exhaust heat shield is common..... don't worry though, the car is very solid overall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #54
Kooz

2008 Astra XE

Okay, apparently my Astra gets all the common repairs. I had to have the coil pack replaced (the most common Astra repair), one of the rear window motors & harness died/fried (also a very common Astra problem), and now the passenger side mirror glass fell off, which I have learned is very common.

So the exhaust heat shield may be next?

Donít get me wrong, I love my car, but are there some other common issues I should have my repair center look at?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooz's Reputation
Old 08-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #55
paulff3

exhaust flex pipe is another. Sorry. In the grand scheme of things, the car is still pretty good in spite of the known problem areas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #56
Kooz

2008 Astra XE

My replacement glass and adhesive pad arrived today from Amazon. It installed with no worries, but is not a perfect fit. Close enough though. Decent for $20 I suppose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooz's Reputation
Old 11-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #57
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

For anyone that has bought replacement glass, how is it holding up?

I replaced mine with one off ebay last year. Within two months it looked like crap, the edges were "peeling" the mirror backing away and it had a "rusted" effect about an inch wide around the perimiter of the glass. Makes it hard to see out of and it looks horrible.

Deffective glass? How are yours holding up? Anyone in a winter climate? If all is good provide me the exact link you used please

Thanks!

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #58
Kooz

2008 Astra XE

I replaced mine in early September and it still looks the same. I'm in Iowa and we got 12 inches of snow a few days ago and it's been below zero since then. Still no issues. This is the replacement mirror I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooz's Reputation
Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #59
Saturn4Ever
Saturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the roughSaturn4Ever is a jewel in the rough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Looks like the links I captured way back when need a refresh. Here are the current links to the online safety complaint forms:

US --> https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Canada -> https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

2009 Saturn Astra XR, 85,000km
2008 Saturn Outlook XR, 230,000km

Past vehicles: 2000 Oldsmobile Alero, 220,000km - SOLD

Last edited by Saturn4Ever; 11-23-2015 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: spelling errors - but really?? we need a reason?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn4Ever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn4Ever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #60
dmsutter
dmsutter is on a distinguished road

A deer got my glass (and the mirror outer cover). Ordered a glass on e-bay which included the heated backing plate for the Vauxhall Astra H for less than $12. It fit perfect, and even has the angle portion on the outboard side that covers the blind spot (US does not allow that - what a shame). Missing is the "objects closer than they appear" or whatever wording on glass. The entire thing snaps in place with connections for the heater. I will update in 6 months how it is holding up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmsutter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmsutter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmsutter is offline   Reply With Quote