SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
mwhite
mwhite is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Dizzy Creaking in rear cargo compartment

It's been a while,have 104,000 miles on our 07 Vue 3.5. Just had the w/pump,belt,tensioners,shocks and struts replaced.Great engine,but as with all plastic bodied vehicles noisy. But one I've tried to fix for a couple years now is the "creaking" in the rear cargo area. I've removed spare tire covers and the silly "milk" holder, have siliconed around the weather strip on the tail gate,tightened everything I can think of, but is driving us nuts! I've seen several posts ,but have not seemed to help. Is it the foam support that surrounds the spare tire the source of this noise or the tailgate area? Any help much appreciated..Mainly does it when turning.

Last edited by mwhite; 04-26-2013 at 09:17 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mwhite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mwhite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
red1
red1 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Creaking in rear cargo compartment

don't know about the 07' , but my 03 inside hatch cover pulls loose from the push nuts in the hatch itself....might check to see if the cover is down all the way around....

Milo (Nix the Burnt Orange Gm Name) colored AWD 2003 DinoMite Vue..115K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

People complain about the cargo organizer making noise when the cargo area is empty.

That's the only noise I occasionally hear when there's nothing in the cargo area on top of it...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
mwhite

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
People complain about the cargo organizer making noise when the cargo area is empty.

That's the only noise I occasionally hear when there's nothing in the cargo area on top of it...
Thanks for the replies,but I even removed both floor panels and drove around with no spare tire or anything. It did seem a little better,but the original "creaking" was still there.I did check the plastic door liner and tightened all the screws and siliconed the weather strip,plus made sure the license plate had the rubber bumpers under the bottom.I'm a retired mechanic(motorcycles and atvs) and have a little knowledge on the basics +,but this one's gotten me so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mwhite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
topcat
topcat will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1

If you can replicate the noise by going around a corner; have someone else drive and get in the back yourself, it'll help in identifying which side, inside vs. outside.....etc. Best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to topcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help topcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I also grease the lower door seal on the dog leg portion of the back door. I use the same tire shine dressing on both sides of the rubber seal, and on the metal part of the door where it touches.

I wash these areas clean and apply new dressing every couple months when I apply the dressing to my tires.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

If you only have creaking in the cargo area, I'd get to a mechanic ASAP. You should have creaking all over, it's a Saturn. Not as much creaking means your car is sick

Not, but seriously, I'd suspect the cargo basket, or possibly the actual rear hatch panel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
mwhite

2006 VUE 3.5L

Guess I'll get the old lady to drive me around the block while I have my fat butt in the rear. It has to be either the foam support blocks under the panels(had panels out along with the spare tire) or the hatch back plastic liner? If I ever find it I'll give a shout back. Thanx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Yeah it could be a number of those plastic panels in the cargo area.

I agree probably the best thing is to try and get back there to localize it.

2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tomster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tomster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

I can almost bet its the interior tailgate plastic rubbing on the interior tailgate metal. If you're hearing crickets while going over rough bumps etc, I'd look there. Its pretty easy to take off. Try pulling it out and driving without it in place and see if the noise goes away.

I've done some other noise solving with success but this one has me beaten down. I know what it is, have tried what others have done, done a few other things, and I'm stumped on it. I'm tempted to pull it off, run some tape (electrical or duct) all around the edges and see if that does anything, but I really think its in the push-pin fittings. I've greased them with no luck...

I've almost forgotten about the crickets its been so long that I've heard them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
ruley73
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Our Equinox used to creak in the back when going around corners. I narrowed it down to the lift supports. More specifically, the ball & socket joints where the lift supports connect to the liftgate & cabin were all gunked up. I took the lift supports off (one at a time) and cleaned things up. I used a small amount of Lucas power steering fluid additive (it is very thick) to lube up the ends prior to reassembly, but white lithium grease would also work. It has been a few years since I've done this and the noise has never returned.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 04-28-2013 at 12:34 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
99WhiteC5Coupe
99WhiteC5Coupe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
It's been a while,have 104,000 miles on our 07 Vue 3.5. Just had the w/pump,belt,tensioners,shocks and struts replaced.Great engine,but as with all plastic bodied vehicles noisy. But one I've tried to fix for a couple years now is the "creaking" in the rear cargo area. I've removed spare tire covers and the silly "milk" holder, have siliconed around the weather strip on the tail gate,tightened everything I can think of, but is driving us nuts! I've seen several posts ,but have not seemed to help. Is it the foam support that surrounds the spare tire the source of this noise or the tailgate area? Any help much appreciated..Mainly does it when turning.
A family member has a 2006 Vue FWD V-6, and it creaked when turning - especially if turning slowly into a driveway with a small curb. I was convinced it was something inside the rear compartment, until I could hear the noise while standing outside the car while someone else drove it on a turn.

The right rear spring INSULATOR PAD was split, causing the noise. I had the pad replaced and both rear shocks, as they were leaking. The part is available from GM and the spring did not have to be replaced.

Good luck - I hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99WhiteC5Coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99WhiteC5Coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99WhiteC5Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
mwhite

2006 VUE 3.5L

I checked the spring pads when I replaced the rear shocks about a month ago and they were solid,not damaged. Think I've got it narrowed down to the hatch back inner panel or all the foam blocks that surround the spare tire on each side as I've just about pulled everything else out including the tire. Haven't tried just opening the tailgate then turning into the driveway,but this is next. If it still has the plastic sounding creak,has to be the foam at the bottom I guess...Does it when turning and during normal driving if the road is a little uneven and the car flexes a little..

Last edited by mwhite; 04-29-2013 at 04:41 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

Try checking the top shock mounts and make sure they are tight.

'09 Saturn Aura XE (sold 2013)
'11 Kia Optima LX
'09 Mazda 5 Grand Touring

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
IT_Architect
IT_Architect is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
I've removed...the silly "milk" holder
Just the man I need to talk to.
1. How do you get it out without wrecking it?
2. How deep is it with the cargo organizer removed?

I can get a deal on a 1500 watt pure sine inverter. It won't fit under a seat, but nobody uses the cargo organizer. It's far from an ideal location, especially considering the cost of the wire, and I'd have to put a door switch on it so if the lid ever closes during operation it would shut off, but it's the only space available. The length and width are plenty good. The trick is the inverter is 3 3/4" high. If you still have the cargo organizer out, can you measure the depth to the bottom of the lid for me?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IT_Architect's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IT_Architect reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IT_Architect is offline   Reply With Quote