SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1
Wrench Hunt4Steve's 1993 Brake Caliper rebuild with red Calipar paint

When working with Calipers it is usually easier to take in your old calipers to the local AutoParts store and get another set of calipers. However, because I had the time I decided to rebuild my own calipers. I wanted to figure out what it takes to rebuild a set of calipers, as well as taking the time to really clean them up and get em painted.

Dirty calipers that have been coated with oil and dirt

Lots of rust and nastiness abounds here

When pulling these apart, don't forget to get the snap ring out. You may or may not need it again.

On the left is the front caliper piston, much larger, and on the right is the rear caliper piston. The rear caliper piston has a worm gear on the inside that is designed to creep out each time you use the E-brake.

Here are the internal components of the rear caliper piston

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

In order to clean them, I started off with an angle grinder steel brush. This did ok, but jeesh, it was hard to get the brush into the nooks and crannies of the caliper. So, I looked around for an easier method of removing the rust.

I decided to use a tried and true method for removing rust from metal. Electrolysis = "In chemistry and manufacturing, electrolysis is a method of using a direct electric current (DC) to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction. Electrolysis is commercially highly important as a stage in the separation of elements from naturally occurring sources such as ores using an electrolytic cell."

Here is a diagram I created, that shows a rough job of the elements involved.

Click on the image to see a YouTube Video of the process.
I would suggest that you change the video quality to HD to get a better view of the actual rust flowing from the caliper.

Ok, while the calipers are getting cleaned I picked up a set of spacers to widen the track just a bit. "hein" has a great deal on these spacers, and got them out to me in quick fashion.

Lots of rust

Test fit

New Rotors

Getting the tank prepped and put together

Calipers before being processed

Processing

Power Source

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Processing

Green goop coming off the calipers

More goop as times goes on

More rust coming off....

eeeewwwwwww...........

juice flowing through the power source

Here are the calipers after being pulled from the tank. While these calipers may look like nothing has been done, a quick run over with a brush will remove this loose coating.

Cleaned up and ready for some paint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

VHT red caliper paint

Probably a good idea to remove the masking tape before cooking 'em

$10 dollar toaster oven off of Craig's list

Brand new brake clip parts

Putting the seal and boots in

AND of course, I wouldn't be able to complete a project without Murphy's Law raising up and biting me. This incorrectly sized piston seal was in the correctly labeled package and box, but is of the wrong size. RockAuto was good about sending me out a replacement part at no charge.

Parts

Rubber boots

Rear brake caliper

Looking pretty good

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
jimboman
jimboman is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Hunt4Steve's 1993 Brake Caliper rebuild with red Calipar paint

That's quite an operation you had going there. Nice thread. Electrolysis makes a lot of sense for cleaning up the cast iron.

I recently rebuilt my calipers, but I didn't go through nearly this much effort. Thankfully mine weren't as dirty as yours. I just scrubbed the caliper bores and pistons clean with brake cleaner and some rags.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimboman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimboman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Happy Re: Hunt4Steve's 1993 Brake Caliper rebuild with red Calipar paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboman View Post
That's quite an operation you had going there. Nice thread. Electrolysis makes a lot of sense for cleaning up the cast iron.

I recently rebuilt my calipers, but I didn't go through nearly this much effort. Thankfully mine weren't as dirty as yours. I just scrubbed the caliper bores and pistons clean with brake cleaner and some rags.
I had plenty of time on my side so I decided to make it an all out operation. Between waiting on parts and working on other car-related things, I could wait for the calipers to percolate....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Wrench Bleeding of the brakes

Stu provided me with some good information concerning bleeding of the Saturn Brake System.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Arti...irst_time.aspx
Delphi/Delco VI
The Delphi/Delco VI was introduced in 1991 as an option on Saturn, Buick Skylar, Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais and Pontiac Grand Am models, it soon became standard equipment on most General Motors front-wheel drive passenger cars until 1998.

Before the brakes can be bled, the front and rear displacement pistons in the modulator must be in the top most or "home" position with their check balls unseated. If the pistons are not in this position, they will not allow the brakes to be bled.

The two ways to home the pistons are with a scan tool (which is the preferred technique) or with a special manual procedure. If using a scan tool, select the "ABS Test" mode, then the "manual control" or "motor rehome" option. The motors in the modulator can now be commanded to drive the pistons to their home positions. The motors will not return to their home positions, however, if the ABS warning light is on or if there are any fault codes present in the system. All faults must first be repaired and all codes cleared before the pistons can be homed.

Once the pistons have been homed, bleed the modulator starting with the rear bleeder screw first. Attach a length of clear tubing to the rear bleeder screw, and submerge the other end in a clear container partially filled with brake fluid. Open the bleeder screw one more turn and apply pedal pressure. Close the bleeder screw when the pedal bottoms out. Repeat until no bubbles are in the fluid. Then repeat this procedure for the front bleeder screw on the modulator.

Once the modulator has been bled, the brake lines can be bled manually or with pressure equipment in the following sequence: right rear, left rear, right front, left front.

To bleed the system without a scan tool, start the engine and allow it to run for at least 10 seconds, making sure the ABS warning light is off. Do not touch the brake pedal during this time. This will allow the ABS system to initialize itself. Make sure the ABS warning light goes out after three seconds (if it remains on, further diagnosis with a scan tool will be necessary before the system can be bled.) Turn the ignition off and repeat this procedure a second time. Turn the ignition off and bleed the modulator and brake lines using the same procedure described above.

Bendix 10
When filling the system with brake fluid, a special procedure is needed to assure a complete fill. Air inside the system may set a primary pressure/delta pressure fault message.

Fill the reservoir to the full mark.

Start the engine and pump the brakes until the booster pump/motor assembly turns on.

Stop pumping the brakes and wait for the pump to shut off.

Recheck the fluid level and add as needed.

Before bleeding the brake lines (manual, pressure or vacuum), depressurize the accumulator (pump pedal 40 times with key off). Then proceed as usual using the following sequence: left rear, right rear, left front and right front.

Fortunately, I did bleed the two piston valves, which allowed me to bleed the rest of the brake system. So, the ABS piston's had to have been "homed", because I was able to bleed the rest of the system.

Here is more information related to Brake Bleeding

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Ramics
Advanced Member
Ramics is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Excellent Work!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ramics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ramics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ramics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Wrench Re: Hunt4Steve's 1993 Brake Caliper rebuild with red Calipar paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramics View Post
Excellent Work!
Thanks....

Here is a another pic, close up:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Roll Eyes ABS sensors

Recently I've had the ABS light stay on. Actually, it's always been on. There is something wrong with something somewhere in the system. The Brakes work great, no issues with those, but the ABS portion is not up to par.

I knew that that front ABS sensors were messed up, so I figured I might start with replacing those.

Note how the sensor on the left is missing the post that positions the sensor on the back side of the spindle. This was the case on both the front left and right sensor. After replacing them.....I've still got the light. So, I'll look at it later.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Happy Splash Guard

When working on the brakes, I took the time to get the correct fasteners (PAS1861-25 Rocker Panel, Wheel Liner Retainers Saturn) from an online retailer, Clips and Fasteners so that I could properly re-install the splash guards. Note they work very well...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
junker
junker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura about

1995 SW2

I'm impressed and would like to try this someday on other parts. Out of curiosity how long did you run them in the tank?

Great job.

My Saturn Videos: http://www.youtube.com/dosumpthin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to junker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help junker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The current and electorlite determines the time but basically until it is clean and keep the current at 2 to 4 amps if using an adjustable DC source.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
shim bucket
shim bucket has a spectacular aura aboutshim bucket has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL2

Hunt4steve great job! Did the rebuild kits for the rear come with the rubber grommet for the parking break actuation shaft? The rear calipers for these Saturns are expensive. Advance has them for $62. I replaced the passenger side rear but want to rebuild the driver side. I already rebuilt the fronts. Kits were $1.85 each for the front from rock auto.

Does kit come with rubber grommet just under threaded portion?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shim bucket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shim bucket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shim bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shim bucket View Post
Hunt4steve great job! Did the rebuild kits for the rear come with the rubber grommet for the parking break actuation shaft? The rear calipers for these Saturns are expensive. Advance has them for $62. I replaced the passenger side rear but want to rebuild the driver side. I already rebuilt the fronts. Kits were $1.85 each for the front from rock auto.

Does kit come with rubber grommet just under threaded portion?
You know, I don't recall. Sorry for the late response....been too busy working on other cars, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #16
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

hunt4steve- great write up. Now I know what to expect.
I was preparing to do the same thing. After seeing the "rust" on your calipers (even in NM), I can see why mine freeze up every spring (middle of rust belt). I plan on the de-rust/paint, seal kit and new piston. I think the paint will help shed off water, snow and grim and hold off the corrosion that binds them up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #17
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

What kind of wheels are those? they don't look aftermarket, but I'm pretty sure ther are not saturn.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #18
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Default info

laser3kw:

Glad it could help somebody. I figure as long as I'm in there, might as well take some pictures and see if I can document my work.....

caveeagle:

The wheels are from an Acura. They didn't quite fit the bore of the saturn, but a file fixed that in quick order....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!