SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
NotAHondaDriver
NotAHondaDriver is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Trying to plan bolt-ons...

I want the Hahn Racecraft intake manifold and a CAI for my 2007 ion 2...
The problem I'm having, is I don't know if ill need to upgrade the fuel system to keep up with the airflow from the mods. And if I do, I don't know if I just need a fuel pressure regulator, injectors, or a different/secondary pump. If injectors, what CC? I already figured I'd pull exhaust off of a LSJ, and ignition I'd do MSD or something, but I'm more worried about if I'll need fuel upgrades because of this intake upgrade. Any info/help on the subject would be great, and suggestions for bolt-ons too. I cannot post the URL to the Hahn racecraft intake, but its the one listed under "Cobalt/G5 2.2"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NotAHondaDriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NotAHondaDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NotAHondaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
ion skater6912
ion skater6912 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Trying to plan bolt-ons...

Are you planning on doing more than just bolt ons? Seems like this would be real overkill. I've yet to see someone run this, so I can't say if you'll need anything else, but I can say a 2.4 intake manifold is enough to give you a little boost in power. Check over on some cobalt forums to see if anyone has experience. But if you start upgrading fuel parts you'll need to tune it as well.

2005 ion sedan
Tsuedo exhaust, 17" motegi ff7s, eibach springs, copertop stb, recaros, ported LSJ manifold, ZZP downpipe, coupe front end swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ion skater6912's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ion skater6912 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ion skater6912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion skater6912 View Post
Are you planning on doing more than just bolt ons? Seems like this would be real overkill. I've yet to see someone run this, so I can't say if you'll need anything else, but I can say a 2.4 intake manifold is enough to give you a little boost in power. Check over on some cobalt forums to see if anyone has experience. But if you start upgrading fuel parts you'll need to tune it as well.
I was planning on a tune after I'm fully bolted. What exactly is overkill? The fuel upgrades? Lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NotAHondaDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
ion skater6912

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Yeah the fuel system upgrades may be a little much. Even with full bolt ons you won't be making some crazy hp number (now if you were going all out on an na build that may be another story). Someone a few years ago over on ionforums but sadly all that info seems to be gone, but this was before a tune was available and his fuel system held up fine.

If it were me I'd just look for a 2.4 manifold used and save some cash to out towards either a nice exhaust or other upgrades. Possibly the only reason I would pick that one up would be if I were going to fully build and either go all out na or turbo

2005 ion sedan
Tsuedo exhaust, 17" motegi ff7s, eibach springs, copertop stb, recaros, ported LSJ manifold, ZZP downpipe, coupe front end swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ion skater6912 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Yeah, the fact that the Hahn Mani comes with a SCIP Port probably means I should wait to buy it until I get the rest of my s/c parts in the next 3 years lol. Am I forgetting any bolt on parts besides ignition intake and exhaust?

What a tie...

'07 Ion2 5MT :: M62 Supercharged, Long Tube Header/Catless Downpipe, Afro-Engineered Intake, 93 Octane HP Tune.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
ion skater6912

2005 ION-2 Sedan

If you're going sc you don't even need an IM.

But that's really it, intake, and exhaust. Not like there's a lot to bolt on

2005 ion sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

You don't need an ignition upgrade, either. If you are going to supercharge it, everything will be different, and the intake and exhaust will need to be bigger than on the lsj since the 2.2 is 10% bigger.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
You don't need an ignition upgrade, either. If you are going to supercharge it, everything will be different, and the intake and exhaust will need to be bigger than on the lsj since the 2.2 is 10% bigger.
Wow, so fully bolted, at least on ions, is really just intake and exhaust... kinda thought there would be more to it lol.

What a tie...

'07 Ion2 5MT :: M62 Supercharged, Long Tube Header/Catless Downpipe, Afro-Engineered Intake, 93 Octane HP Tune.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Yeah, the ecotec is built well. You don't ever need ignition upgrades, and you don't need more fuel I until you get into forced induction.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

You said intake and exhaust will have to be bigger if I go super, exhaust is no problem, but where do I find a bigger intake that will be compatible with the M62 Eaton?

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

A 3" intake should suffice. Worst case, build one.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Just to be 100% certain, do you mean intake piping/cone or the manifold itself? Sorry, the noob is strong with me.

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
ion skater6912

2005 ION-2 Sedan

What I would do and have seen done with people to add the m62 to the 2.2 is just get an intake from an IRL/SS. Gives you a better fit, and since you'd be tuning it at that point anyway it's not a big issue.

If I ever get around to installing my sc kit that's my plan

2005 ion sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

3" intake tubing

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ah thanks for clarifying 2006, and thanks for the suggestion skater. I have a friend with a SS/SC going Turbo so he's selling me his full LSJ exhaust, intake manifold, downpipe, and M62 for a lot cheaper than new. The only problem is the SS Exhaust's hangers wont match up so I'll need new ones welded on. After I get those parts I just need a heat exchanger injectors and a belt. And a tune of course. Before all that though I'm just going to go with a 2.4L manifold and the LSJ exhaust. I'm almost certain my car will go into limp mode so if I can't get it to Lowe Performance in Illinois I'll have to have Trifecta mail me a tune ahead of time.

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Are they able to tyne the 07? It's not the same ecu as the 05-06, or the 07 cobalts.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Trifecta has a request tune form for the 07 ion, and I contacted them and the said they'll take my speed limiter off if I want and/or tune it for the upgrades. I want to see if Lowe Performance from Illinois will do it though, its a lot closer and I can get it done faster.

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #18
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I know trifecta can, I was the first 07 2.2 tuned. the illinois shop was the one in question. I would make sure they've done one before, when vince did mine, it took quite a bit of work for him to "crack" the combination of the saturn program and the ecu from the ls v8.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
NotAHondaDriver

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Ah, yeah. I was told to call and see. He's good with 3800 Series II's and I was recommended by a friend, but if I get a shady answer on whether or not he knows what he's doing ill go to Trifecta.

What a tie...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

yeah, no offense to the speed shop, but vince has a lot of experience with GMs in general, and quite a bit of it with the american ecotec series. people gave me a lot of gaff for going with him at the time, but I did my research, and he was the best option for who to trust my brand new (at the time) car to.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!